AD letter and higher ticket costs

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I know this thread is going on the Men's Basketball forum but I thought it should be on Football as well. What do people think about this? At some point season tickets were going up no matter what, but how much do people think it will go up? Basketball is the highest ticket right now, but given ISU's history for W's how much can the prices go up? Yes, the new expansion is going to have people buying tickets, but for how long and at what price? Right now I'm a hillside season ticket holder and was very interested in moving to the South Endzone when ticket became open recently but a $1000 auto repair bill meant that wasn't going to happen this year. I would still like to move off the hillside and at $175 for season tickets it was still doable and also Ok'd by the wife, lol. Someone posted on the other thread that a $50 increase per ticket seems likely. I was thinking that maybe $25 per season ticket is more likely and donation levels increased to offset higher per season ticket costs. What do you guys think?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
So the letter was pretty vague, but it really sounded like most of the changes were happening for MBB tickets. I can't imagine they'd get too crazy raising prices/donation levels on FB tickets at the same time they're trying fill a bunch of new seats.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So the letter was pretty vague, but it really sounded like most of the changes were happening for MBB tickets. I can't imagine they'd get too crazy raising prices/donation levels on FB tickets at the same time they're trying fill a bunch of new seats.

They're doing both.
MBB each of the next 2 years, FB next year.

Given the #s mentioned in the letter ($4 million made it in there), I don't think it's anything less than $100/ticket increase for football, and $50 for basketball just seems lower than it's going to go.

That said, my only reason for that is just uninformed guesswork with my calculator and didn't account for donation increases. I took that approach because I think the ticket prices will be the bulk of the funds that they shoot for.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
FB season tickets haven't changed in forever, so I have no issue with a bump.

BB needs reseated in the worst way and while this isn't a formal reseating, the net effect will still be the same.

I support both moves.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
They're doing both.
MBB each of the next 2 years, FB next year.

Given the #s mentioned in the letter ($4 million made it in there), I don't think it's anything less than $100/ticket increase for football, and $50 for basketball just seems lower than it's going to go.

That said, my only reason for that is just uninformed guesswork with my calculator and didn't account for donation increases. I took that approach because I think the ticket prices will be the bulk of the funds that they shoot for.

$100 per ticket for football seems awfully high. That just seems like too big of a jump for a single year. I was thinking it might be closer to $30-40 per ticket.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
FB season tickets haven't changed in forever, so I have no issue with a bump.

BB needs reseated in the worst way and while this isn't a formal reseating, the net effect will still be the same.

I support both moves.

Basketball doesn't need to be reseated, the donation levels just need to be bumped up.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
$100 per ticket for football seems awfully high. That just seems like too big of a jump for a single year. I was thinking it might be closer to $30-40 per ticket.

Yea, I mean I think I'd still get tickets at an extra $100per, but I'd have to really think about it first. If they keep the increase under $50 per ticket I wouldn't even think twice.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

I agree that it's high. I just went with that after seeing $4 million in the letter. That might not be their target, but I don't believe that they sent out a letter in advance if they were thinking small.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Just my personal estimate.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Yea, I mean I think I'd still get tickets at an extra $100per, but I'd have to really think about it first. If they keep the increase under $50 per ticket I wouldn't even think twice.

And they mentioned the change is donation levels as well, so I would almost expect the biggest increase to come from that depending on where your seats are at.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
What I'm most concerned about is parking at football games. The donation level for a parking pass has gone up pretty significantly in the last two or three years. While that's obviously the result of supply and demand, soon we'll be looking to sell more (and more expensive) season tickets to fill up those new seats. I wonder if people will simply walk away if they can't get a parking pass.

Let's be honest, in historical terms the tailgating is far better than the product during football season. Why buy a season ticket if I'm going to be priced out of the parking lots?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me if they try to get all season ticket holders to be donors, especially for BB. It seems that we are nearly past the stage where we have to incentivize people to come with cheap tickets. Some of us have gotten comfortable with the cheap tickets, but those days seem to be ending.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
We have been really spoiled by low tickets prices, which is some senses has been a good thing. It's a great way to get people hooked on cyclone football. I don't think the top two tiers of football tickets with change ($375 donor and $325 letterwinner/faculty) since these are already consistent with costs from other schools but wouldn't be at all surprised to see the $225 young adult, $225 Cardinal reserved, $175 Gold reserved, $175 South end zone and Hillside (half of which will be going away) go up by $50.

Take for instance to south end zone renovation, if there are 3000 seats on each hillside and in the bleachers (I don't know the numbers exactly), that makes 9k seats that could easily go to the $375 price point.

If that is the case, that's an extra $275 x 6k = 1.65 mil plus $200 x 3k = $600,000. Total increased revenue for the lower bowl at $2.25 mil without even taking into consideration the additional seating of the remaining 4000 new seats. Say they now go for $225, that would be an additional 900k in ticket revenue. No we are sitting at 3.15 mil.

Then factor in cost increases in other sections that I am too lazy to figure and we might be looking at your 4 mil.

Erik, I'm not sure if this is similar to your estimates but seems logical to think an increase of >$50 is in the mix for sure.

Last edited:

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I would probably stop getting tickets if they went up $100 for corner balcony and try to buy them off people when I wanted to go. That's over a 50% increase.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
What I'm most concerned about is parking at football games. The donation level for a parking pass has gone up pretty significantly in the last two or three years. While that's obviously the result of supply and demand, soon we'll be looking to sell more (and more expensive) season tickets to fill up those new seats. I wonder if people will simply walk away if they can't get a parking pass.

Let's be honest, in historical terms the tailgating is far better than the product during football season. Why buy a season ticket if I'm going to be priced out of the parking lots?

The non-donor lots are just as fun and only $20 a game.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
We have been really spoiled by low tickets prices, which is some senses has been a good thing. It's a great way to get people hooked on cyclone football. I don't think the top two tiers of football tickets with change ($375 donor and $325 letterwinner/faculty) since these are already consistent with costs from other schools but wouldn't be at all surprised to see the $225 young adult, $225 Cardinal reserved, $175 Gold reserved, $175 South end zone and Hillside (half of which will be going away) go up by $50.

Take for instance to south end zone renovation, if there are 3000 seats on each hillside and in the bleachers (I don't know the numbers exactly), that makes 9k seats that could easily go to the $375 price point.

If that is the case, that's an extra $275 x 6k = 1.65 mil plus $200 x 3k = $600,000. Total increased revenue for the lower bowl at $2.25 mil without even taking into consideration the additional seating of the remaining 4000 new seats. Say they now go for $225, that would be an additional 900k in ticket revenue. No we are sitting at 3.15 mil.

Then factor in cost increases in other sections that I am too lazy to figure and we might be looking at your 4 mil.

Erik, I'm not sure if this is similar to your estimates but seems logical to think an increase of >$50 is in the mix for sure.

We've had one season of 8+ wins since 1978. I'm not sure "spoiled" is the term I'd use to describe Cyclone football fans.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

I'll have to look a couple of times to see.
Since they sent the letter out to all season ticket holders, they can't just raise prices on the lower end of customers. That's quickly going to send the message that those people aren't wanted, however long they've been buying tickets. This has to a situation where everyone pays.

Some have mentioned donations, and that will certainly be a key part. I think every seat will be a donor seat now, which is a smart way to do it. But, since people can group up and buy tickets under one donation, I think tickets will logically be the largest part of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron