OT: What is the best opener to an album ever?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Interesting discussion I had over the weekend with friends. What is the best opening song for an album? One that you first hear and you may think 'ok, if THIS is the opener, this album is gonna be incredible...'

my two are:

Gimme Shelter by Rolling Stones from the Let it Bleed album

Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins from the Siamese Dream album

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Interesting discussion I had over the weekend with friends. What is the best opening song for an album? One that you first hear and you may think 'ok, if THIS is the opener, this album is gonna be incredible...'

my two are:

Gimme Shelter by Rolling Stones from the Let it Bleed album

Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins from the Siamese Dream album

Good Times, Bad Times - LZ 1

(Editing as I think more about it)

Welcome to the Jungle - G'n'R
Tangled Up in Blue - Dylan (Blood on the Tracks)
Thunder Road - Bruce (Born to Run)

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It's been played so much since then, but "Seven Nation Army" opening Elephant. Or, better yet, "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" on White Blood Cells.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
[video=youtube;o4qZMlsfHIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4qZMlsfHIs[/video]

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
War Pigs on Black Sabbath's Paranoid.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Opening song or opening moments?

If opening moments, I am probably going to give it to Sgt. Pepper's (the concept orchestra warming up to go with the concept of the album itself). Not the best song ever written after it, but that's the "opener" to the album, right?

I don't think this is as good, but I do have The Beatles for the jet takeoff/landing sounds to segue into "Back in the USSR," which is a hilarious parody of the Beach Boys and Chuck Berry, and an incredible introduction that sets the tone for an album that is all about trying out different styles, parody, and cultural appropriation/experimentation, anyways.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Opening song or opening moments?

If opening moments, I am probably going to give it to Sgt. Pepper's (the concept orchestra warming up to go with the concept of the album itself). Not the best song ever written after it, but that's the "opener" to the album, right?

I don't think this is as good, but I do have The Beatles for the jet takeoff/landing sounds to segue into "Back in the USSR," which is a hilarious parody of the Beach Boys and Chuck Berry, and an incredible introduction that sets the tone for an album that is all about trying out different styles, parody, and cultural appropriation/experimentation, anyways.

"Come Together" is a pretty solid start for Abbey Road​, too.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Consoler of the Lonely - The Raconteurs. The off time riff at the beginning transitions smoothly into what I call a nice opener.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Welcome to the Jungle - Appetite for Destruction (Guns & Roses)

First time I heard that, I was like "Oh s**t!"

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Motley Crue/ Shout at the Devil/ "In the Beggining".... Just sets the mood for the whole album.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Previous posts already mentioned two of my favorites...Back in the USSR and Good Times/Bad Times

Another one I love is Rocks Off from Exile on Main Street

[video=youtube;Sqk1kdjk5o0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqk1kdjk5o0[/video]

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I should also say the most unfit opener is on The Game's LAX album. DMX prays for him in the intro.. Quite interesting is how the prayer is followed up by the first few words in the next song containing explicit language and such.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Neat topic! I agree with a lot of the responses so far. A couple that stand out for me are Five Years on David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Jimmy James on Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys. I'll never forget the first time I played Check Your Head...I don't think there could have been a better way for the Beasties to say "we're taking a new direction now".

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I also really like the openers to Pink Floyd's albums (even without herbal enhancement), which is fitting since they're all "concept albums" than need an introduction.

Help Support Us

Become a patron