X-Men; Days of Future Past

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Did anybody else see this today?

I caught the afternoon at the local matinee this afternoon. Great, great movie. Not just the best movie of the summer so far (albeit the season is young), but IMO one of the best movies of the year.

To add to the superlatives, I would say this is the best X-Men movie to date, and is one of the best comic book/superhero movies ever made. I enjoyed it that much.

I don't know if anybody remembers X-Men; The Last Stand, the Brett Ratner/talentless hack directed one, but thankfully this one totally erasers every bit of that aberration.

And for those JLaw fans out there, when she actually looks like JLaw she looks pretty damn good in this one.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Saw it tonight. It was fantastic. I agree this is the top X-Men related movie and possibly the top comic book movie ever. I hope you stayed until after the credits, because it was terrific also.

One minor thing -
In the future, how did Wolverine have adamantium back on his claws? He lost them at the end of his Wolverine movie, and he was left with the bone claws.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
That scene during the Pentagon break with the Time in a bottle song was probably the best Super Hero movie scene I have ever scene.

Quicksilver-gif.gif

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Guessing magneto helped him out with that Michael. Very, very good movie and best story of any xmen movie yet. Only complaint was that there wasn't as much action as I would've liked and it seemed like Wolverine was a bystander for a lot of the movie. People have complained that Wolvie is too much of the focus of the other movies but still, the guy is the face of the franchise. Anyway very good movie.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
That scene during the Pentagon break with the Time in a bottle song was probably the best Super Hero movie scene I have ever scene.

Quicksilver-gif.gif
Completely agree. I thought this movie was awesome. Easily top 2 or 3 superhero movie ever

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Guessing magneto helped him out with that Michael. Very, very good movie and best story of any xmen movie yet. Only complaint was that there wasn't as much action as I would've liked and it seemed like Wolverine was a bystander for a lot of the movie. People have complained that Wolvie is too much of the focus of the other movies but still, the guy is the face of the franchise. Anyway very good movie.
I actually thought it was kind of refreshing to see a focus on somebody besides wolverine. Fassbender is such a good actor I was almost left wanting more magneto

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Can't wait to see this.

It's going to do massive business, I don't know if it'll reach Avengers level but it'll come close.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I was worried about the use of Quicksilver but that scene mentions above was hilarious.

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
The movie was great. Another Marvel universe film that takes a more serious approach rather than just special effects and action. Each character had the right amount of exposure for the film's purpose. The one thing that Bryan Singer did have going for him is such an amazing cast of actors. Each of them is amazing in their own behalf and he is lucky to have them because they truly shine in their roles.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Marvel is hitting on all cylinders the last two years. Looks like a good stock.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
Saw it Thursday night and I absolutely loved it. I'm a big X-Men fan, so to see it do justice to the first two Singer movies along with First Class was a delight. Everyone brought their 'A' game to this one and it showed. Loved all the action, especially Quicksilver's scenes, but it was the drama stuff that I enjoyed the most. And they completely nailed the ending to the movie and fixed a lot of past mistakes. I can't wait to see it again.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I'm going to say that I put it firmly behind Winter Soldier for the best movie of the summer so far, but I imagine it'll fall behind Guardians of the Galaxy before the end. I liked it, didn't think it was better than First Class, but light years ahead of X1-3 or either of the Wolverine Abortions. There was some stuff that bugged me about the movie:

These are just in the order that I think of them....

1) the explanation for how Kitty Pride was able to send people's brains back in time was non-existent. On top of that, the explanation for why Wolverine had to be the one to go back in time was so lame and glossed over, it was painful. His brain synapses would regrow. But we never showed the process as being painful... it was a lame excuse to make sure that Wolverine was front and center again.

2) At the beginning of the Vietnam War, Logan is a soldier and is recruited by Col. William Stryker. But now, at the end of the Vietnam War, Logan is not, and Major William Stryker meets him for the first time?

3) When in the conference room, and Wolverine goes nuts because he sees Stryker, we see Future Wolverine pop his claws. He flails around in the future, even stabbing Kitty. Then, when Past Wolverine gets his crap together again, Future Wolverine retracts his claws. So, clearly, Past Wolverine and Future Wolverine are co-existing in real time. This means that Kitty, with her gut stabbed a foot deep with adamantium... thrice... and nothing but field dressing on the wound, held Wolverine in the past for a flight from Paris to New York, a come-to-Jesus in Westchester, a joint chiefs + advisers meeting, and the planning and execution of a huge press conference in which 50 different countries sent cameras. We see Wolverine take a nap, I'm pretty sure. At the most conservative estimate, this whole process will take, likely, a week. She would be septic and dead long before Wolverine got home from Paris.

4) the way they treated Quicksilver's powers, he's pretty much a fix-any-problem mutant. Why do they leave him home? They want to keep Mystique from killing Trask? What about the dude who has shown that a room full of shooting people shooting was no problem did they decide wasn't up to the task? Are you gonna tell me that he was too young to involve in the further situation? Old enough to break into the Pentagon, not old enough to... prevent the assassination of a dude on the other side of the world? And for that matter, when everything was going on on TV, why was he just sitting there like a jackhole without super speed? The Quicksilver we met would have been in Paris in 5 seconds, or at least in DC in less than 1. What part of the dude who stole a security guard's hat while dealing with all the bullets wouldn't be an asset going into a potential fight with a dude wearing a hat that makes Xavier's power's useless?

5) Blink + Colossus + Warpath = awesome. Can I have a movie of those three beating up, I don't know.. Nazi's or terrorists or something?

6) Eric killed JFK, or at least the U.S. Government is convinced enough that he did that they built a cell for him in the courtyard of the Pentagon. Keep in mind that this takes place before anything from the past changes. He's a Presidential Assassin. How does he end up just chillin' in a Senate Hearing in X1?

7) Speaking of Eric in prison, the courtyard of the Pentagon is 5 acres large. A regulation baseball field is 3 acres from backstop to radial arc. We know that Eric was able to activate the Sentinels from inside a baseball stadium at least a baseball diamond + outdoor park + highway away, meaning his power extended much further than 5 acres. was Magneto hanging out in prison because of 3 squares and alone time to catch up on his reading?

8) Speaking of the Sentinels. We're in a post JFK assassination world. The Secret Service would have every inch of the agenda for the announcement of the Sentinel Program. They would know who was speaking when, when the band was going to play, and every other detail. When those giant purple robots turned on, when they weren't supposed to, they wouldn't have just stood there, the President would be on his way to the bunker. And they certainly wouldn't have put him in the same bunker as the only person they believe has the ability to turn on the flying death machines that just started shooting people.

9) Speaking of the giant purple robots, when did it become part of Basic Training to teach members of the military to salute giant purple robots? the minute that sheet dropped, every person in uniform at the event stood and started saluting. The robots. Their salutes followed the robots up into the sky when they took off.

10) speaking of the sheet keeping them hidden, what was with the President of the United States standing in front of a United States of Trask Industries flag? That was just weird....

In the end, I will watch any movie in which McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence play these characters, and I will enjoy it immensely, like I did this movie. I liked it a lot, I just don't think it holds a candle to some of the other, better comic book movies that have come out....

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I also preferred Winter Soldier, which I thought was really good, but really liked this movie too. Quicksilver scenes were my favorite.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought Winter Soldier was on the good side of OK, I expect much more out of this.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Finally saw it last night and loved it. Best X-Men movie by far IMO. I loved the future stuff, those sentinels were ruthless.

I too questioned how Wolverine had his adamantium claws in the future though.

IIRC, Age of Apocolypse will take place in this new established timeline after Raven saved the President. Since they showed Raven rescuing Wolverine from Stryker in this new timeline, that means Weapon X never happens and the future Wolverine they showed at the end has never had the adamantium skeleton even though his consciousnesses obviously remembers it.

If Wolverine has his adamantium in Age of Apocalypse I'll be really confused :)

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
My cousin that lives out in LA actually produced the X-Men Hardee's commercials. She posted a picture on Facebook of her and the actor who played Quicksilver a few months ago.

Also, regarding the scene mentioned above, did it bother anybody else that the music was playing at full speed during that scene? Or was it just me?

That scene was awesome though

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Finally saw it last night and loved it. Best X-Men movie by far IMO. I loved the future stuff, those sentinels were ruthless.

I too questioned how Wolverine had his adamantium claws in the future though.

IIRC, Age of Apocolypse will take place in this new established timeline after Raven saved the President. Since they showed Raven rescuing Wolverine from Stryker in this new timeline, that means Weapon X never happens and the future Wolverine they showed at the end has never had the adamantium skeleton even though his consciousnesses obviously remembers it.

If Wolverine has his adamantium in Age of Apocalypse I'll be really confused :)

I think they were hinting that he would have them at the end when Mystique as Trask rescued him from the Potomac, her rye smile indicated to me that she did not have the best of intentions upon saving him. Combine that with her relationship to Magneto who was quoted when he saw the bone claws in the early going saying "imagine if they were metal".

I guess my thought is that really anything is possible regarding that situation given magneto's questionable motives, intelligence and ability to ya know manipulate metal. Especially if mystique and magneto conspire to turn him into weapon X in his unconscious state.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I think they were hinting that he would have them at the end when Mystique as Trask rescued him from the Potomac, her rye smile indicated to me that she did not have the best of intentions upon saving him. Combine that with her relationship to Magneto who was quoted when he saw the bone claws in the early going saying "imagine if they were metal".

I guess my thought is that really anything is possible regarding that situation given magneto's questionable motives, intelligence and ability to ya know manipulate metal. Especially if mystique and magneto conspire to turn him into weapon X in his unconscious state.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. I saw the Raven smile as her rescuing him. Good take.