Permit to Carry Firearm

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I have been pondering the idea of getting my conceal and carry permit in Story County for about a month now. I am wondering if any of you have advice or have had success with obtaining this?

I have a clean record, except a speeding ticket last year (5 over in Huxley) still bitter about it... I have been hunting in Iowa for 10 years and have passed all courses needed. Any advice?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Concealed carry permits are super easy to get. Just take a class (I'm pretty sure Bass Pro Shop hosts them regularly if you can't find one elsewhere) and fill out a one page form.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Iowa is a "shall" state, not a "may" state. You should have no issue getting your permit. Just go to the Story County FAQ page and it will list everything you need to do/bring.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I would recommend Common Sense Firearms Training in Ankeny. They offer Groupons all the time. I think I took it for like $20.
The instructor is very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to tell you how he thinks.
http://commonsensefirearmstraining.com/

Otherwise I agree with the other posters. Almost scary easy to get a permit.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's not a conceal and carry permit. I have an: Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons (nonprofessional).

You legally can walk down the sidewalk without it concealed, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Make sure you get proper training. Plenty of NRA sponsored classes that are very professionally handled. I took mine from a Sheriff's deputy.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I would recommend Common Sense Firearms Training in Ankeny. They offer Groupons all the time. I think I took it for like $20.
The instructor is very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to tell you how he thinks.
http://commonsensefirearmstraining.com/

Otherwise I agree with the other posters. Almost scary easy to get a permit.

Sounds like a good guy. Just emailed him about his next class

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
If you are married/engaged, I would recommend that your spouse get their's as well. That way if you happen to leave a firearm in a car and your wife takes the car, she won't be screwed if she gets pulled over for something.

My wife has her permit for this very reason. Plus, we took a class with range time so she knows what to do with a pistol if she ever needed to use one.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you are married/engaged, I would recommend that your spouse get their's as well. That way if you happen to leave a firearm in a car and your wife takes the car, she won't be screwed if she gets pulled over for something.

My wife has her permit for this very reason. Plus, we took a class with range time so she knows what to do with a pistol if she ever needed to use one.

Here's another idea: Don't happen to leave a firearm in the car.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

What does she have to worry about? She has a gun.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Single for now, but will keep that in mind for the future. I do think that would be beneficial for the future Mrs.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Here's another idea: Don't happen to leave a firearm in the car.

You'd be amazed where I end up leaving my firearm. On the back of the toilet after I get done pooping, second shelf of the changing table when I'm changing my son's diaper...heck, one time I left it in the Muscatine Melon display at Hy-Vee after I set it down to check the ripeness of a melon. Nope, you just never know where you might leave your firearm.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I highly recommend the one at Sportsman's in Ankeny. Legal Heat is the name of the guys who do it. You can get your Iowa and Utah permit with theirs.

My wife got hers at the same time. You really do learn alot from the legal side of things, she enjoyed it for that alone.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
You'd be amazed where I end up leaving my firearm. On the back of the toilet after I get done pooping, second shelf of the changing table when I'm changing my son's diaper...heck, one time I left it in the Muscatine Melon display at Hy-Vee after I set it down to check the ripeness of a melon. Nope, you just never know where you might leave your firearm.

Knock that **** off! :realmad:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I leave them everywhere. That way, wherever I go, there I'm armed.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I threw mine in a ball pit full of kids once. They had so much fun with it.

Reactions: longtimeclone

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'll say this. If you decide for some odd reason that you need to carry a gun in IOWA make sure and hide it from the general public. My wife works in an office where someone came in last week with a shoulder holster over a t shirt. She literally thought she was going to get shot. Truly a terrifying thing for many people to see in public when someone walks into a store or office with a gun. Some people are just freaking clueless as to how that affects people. Frankly, nobody should be able to carry a gun in public outside of law enforcement if you ask me...but that's another thread.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I'll say this. If you decide for some odd reason that you need to carry a gun in IOWA make sure and hide it from the general public. My wife works in an office where someone came in last week with a shoulder holster over a t shirt. She literally thought she was going to get shot. Truly a terrifying thing for many people to see in public when someone walks into a store or office with a gun. Some people are just freaking clueless as to how that affects people. Frankly, nobody should be able to carry a gun in public outside of law enforcement if you ask me...but that's another thread.

I don't always carry, but when I do, it's definitely concealed. People that feel a need to open carry are not smart and are opening themselves up to many negative possibilities.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you were honorably discharged from the military, all you need to do is bring proof of that to the sheriff's office.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I don't always carry, but when I do, it's definitely concealed. People that feel a need to open carry are not smart and are opening themselves up to many negative possibilities.

Well, I'm glad you keep it concealed. Not hard to see I'm still livid over this ******* that walked into my wife's office. Not a very stable guy either to be honest, not dealing with full mental capacity if you get my drift. If people want to carry weapons they should themselves make it more difficult to get so that wacko's and people not mentally fit to carry are weeded out. Because at this point you could walk in with a straight jacket on and get the permit.

Help Support Us

Become a patron