NBA-D: Iowa Energy to stay in Des Moines - now affiliated with Memphis Grizzles

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This is good news for central Iowa sport’s fans but probably bad news for fans of major concerts. Got to be hard to find a lot of open dates for concerts in the winter for Wells Fargo Arena with Energy, Wild, and high school state champs in March.

Anyway, I didn’t realize there was a good chance the team might leave….

The Iowa Energy have reached an affiliation agreement with the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, finalizing a deal that ensures the NBA Development League team will remain in Des Moines.

Jerry Crawford, a founder and previous managing owner of the basketball franchise, said Monday that the team weighed four offers. Three of those options — including an unnamed opportunity in another country — required leaving Iowa.

Only the Memphis deal allowed the team to continue operations in central Iowa.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/2014/05/06/memphis-grizzlies-nba-development-league-jed-kaplan-jerry-crawford/8737929/

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
This is good news for central Iowa sport’s fans but probably bad news for fans of major concerts. Got to be hard to find a lot of open dates for concerts in the winter for Wells Fargo Arena with Energy, Wild, and high school state champs in March.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/2014/05/06/memphis-grizzlies-nba-development-league-jed-kaplan-jerry-crawford/8737929/

I have listened to Crawford on the radio a few times. He usually says the politically correct things but you can tell that he was not at all thrilled when he had to start sharing the arena with a third professional team (Wild). Surprised they didn't leave.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I have listened to Crawford on the radio a few times. He usually says the politically correct things but you can tell that he was not at all thrilled when he had to start sharing the arena with a third professional team (Wild). Surprised they didn't leave.

My impression as well

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
I didn't even realize that there were rumors of them leaving.

They've recolored the logo to fit Memphis' color scheme on twitter. It actually looks pretty cool.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Unnamed opportunity in another country?
I was wondering that too. I think probably being a d-league team in canada.

One other question I had was does this mean we're now only the affiliate of Memphis. I know we used to be the affiliate for something like 4 teams.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I was wondering that too. I think probably being a d-league team in canada.

One other question I had was does this mean we're now only the affiliate of Memphis. I know we used to be the affiliate for something like 4 teams.

Yes, this is a one-to-one relationship as I understand it. No more affliations with multiple teams.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
Free is rumored to be their next coach.

h2732A57B

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
We should kick out all the D-league and just get an actual pro team. I think Iowans would support the crap out of a pro team. I think NBA would be a hit.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
I'd rather have a european style basketball team.

I hate the NBA, too many egos and not enough defense.

I really like the one to one relationship Iowa now has. I think having more all those teams to cater to threw us off balance.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We should kick out all the D-league and just get an actual pro team. I think Iowans would support the crap out of a pro team. I think NBA would be a hit.

First off, these aren't amateurs, so be definition they are an "actual pro team" (as our the Wild, I-Cubs, and Barnstormers). .

More importantly, there is no advantage to ISU Basketball in having an NBA team 30 minutes down the road. See Okie State attendance figures since arrival of Thunder. ISU needs the Des Moines market...and we don't need to split people's attention spans and more importantly, their sport's spending $$$.

Fortunately, top tier pro sports teams don't locate in the markets the size of DM. There simply isn't the corporate sponsorship available. It doesn't matter if we can fill the seats in the arena. The big bucks needed to support such a team don't come from average fans....they come from corporations.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

There's only four NBA fans in Iowa. According to Brent Blum's twitter, he's one of them.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
First off, these aren't amateurs, so be definition they are an "actual pro team" (as our the Wild, I-Cubs, and Barnstormers). .

More importantly, there is no advantage to ISU Basketball in having an NBA team 30 minutes down the road. See Okie State attendance figures since arrival of Thunder. ISU needs the Des Moines market...and we don't need to split people's attention spans and more importantly, their sport's spending $$$.

Fortunately, top tier pro sports teams don't locate in the markets the size of DM. There simply isn't the corporate sponsorship available. It doesn't matter if we can fill the seats in the arena. The big bucks needed to support such a team don't come from average fans....they come from corporations.

I don't the think an NBA team would affect ISU in a bad way. The OSU fan thing and the NBA is an excuse for their poor attendance.

Was the Energy a secondary D team before. Did all 5 of the teams have another D league team as well?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I didn't even realize that there were rumors of them leaving.

They've recolored the logo to fit Memphis' color scheme on twitter. It actually looks pretty cool.
I like the new logo much better too but can they also change the team's slogan? "Tall guys, good times" :eek:

BlH19bkCQAEtsJ2.jpg:medium

MohawkCy88

Oct 12, 2008
TKE house

Meh. Nobody I know attends these games. I've heard it's not uncommon for there to be <1000 routinely in attendance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron