Monday Musings: Four-year anniversary (share your story)

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
My first thought was AWESOME! My 2nd thought was, "How would you ever fire Fred Hoiberg."

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
When McD was hired I lamented in my belief that he wasn't Big 12 ready and we'd have to fire a native son.

I thought Hoiberg was a home run, but not to the extent he's turned into. He's going to make ISU "Duke-like"...

And just to be clear about my prognostication skills, I really thought Chizik was the real deal...

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Is there anywhere I can listen to this Walters-Perrault debate at? Sounds legendary.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
I think you trust your first gut instincts. I was totally against Gmac getting hired, after the speculation leading up to the announcement. I warmed up to him after his press conference here. My initial gut feeling was correct however (nice guy though)

I didn't have that trepidation when Fred was hired. Was willing to give him 3-4 years to right the ship, so Fred has been a fantastic hire in retrospect

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not gonna lie, I didn't follow ISU much in High School mainly because I hadn't fully decided where I was going to go at that point of his hiring. But my initial thoughts were, well at least they have an attractive coach.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
Honestly at first, much like many, I was very skeptical. Everyone loves Fred, but the man had never coached before. I had my doubts, but I thought Fred might be able to win some games and he could get the fan support back into Ames. Everything Fred has done is already beyond my wildest dreams. Fred is turning Iowa State into a brand name nationally, and has done it in a very short amount of time. There will be a statue of Fred outside of Hilton Coliseum someday.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I wasn't sure what to think until I heard Fred speak at the press conference. I was sold at that point. Then the Ames channel 8 news reporter interviewed me about what I thought and put my thoughts on tv.

spelhome

Jan 19, 2012
Woodward, Iowa
Wow. We have come a long way baby. I remember being shocked and dazed by the news but thrilled all the same. Never doubted he would be a success but never dreamed it would come so quickly.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I thought he'd be successful if he found ways to recruit and if he hired a strong staff. His recruiting has been great and as a general rule he's had a strong backbone both from a recruiting standpoint and a coaching standpoint.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I had just finished mowing the lawn of a local business when I first heard the news. I live in Grinnell and KXNO reception is spotty at best. On this particular day, however, it came in pretty well. I had literally just started up the truck, turned on the radio, and the Hoiberg hiring was announced. I was soooo excited. Yes, I knew that he didn't have any coaching experience, etc, but I had been so concerned that we might end up with another McDermott-type & didn't know if we could get a "big-name" hire. This, like the CPR hiring, just seemed to be the right fit.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Anyone have link to the Matt Perrault and John Walters interview?

Also, not going to lie, I was ******, I wanted Billy Gillispie, I am happy to eat crow.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Excited and nervous. He was already a cyclone legend and with success he has had as a coach cements him as probably the best Cyclone of all time.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
I remember I was so ******... dude hadn't coached yet. Anyone who knew this was going to happen was higher than the state of Colorado.

But obviously a good high.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Anyone have link to the Matt Perrault and John Walters interview?

Also, not going to lie, I was ******, I wanted Billy Gillispie, I am happy to eat crow.

I think it's gone for good unless someone either recorded it or downloaded it. So mad for not doing it myself.