Clones Interest in Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Ukranian 16 Year Old

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I can find no information on this kid other than his Wikipedia Link. Fraschilla wrote an ESPN Insider article today about the upcoming international influence on the college game. Of note was Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, a 16 year old Ukranian who is apparently regarded as one of the top European prospects.

He's listed as an off ball guard at 6'-6" and 185lbs, born in 1997.

It's wikipedia so take it easy on me, but the comparisons are to Ginobili's game. He was selected first team all tournament at the FIBA U16 tournament in 2013.

What Fraschilla has to say on the kid:

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk | Undecided | 6-foot-6 | Ukraine

Mykhailiuk is considered one of the best 16-year-old players in the world and, after the recent Nike Hoop Summit, has drawn the interest of a number of high-major basketball programs including Iowa State, Virginia, Kansas and Oregon. He exploded on the European scene last summer, averaging 25 points, eight rebounds and four assists at the FIBA Europe Under-16 tournament.

The young Ukrainian can play both guard spots, although he is best suited right now to play off the ball at the college level. He is an excellent shooter with NBA range and a strong, physical player for his age. As the son of educators, Mykhailiuk will be a high school graduate and enroll in college at the age of 17 -- if he’s not pressured to sign a pro contract. There’s a great chance we will see him in college next season.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If he can play I'm all for Fred trying to exploit the next under exploited source of college talent. That being said, it would be interesting to see how fan's reacted to it after the whole Lucca experience.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Fraschilla calls him one of the best 16 year olds in the world, I don't care what people think about the Lucca experience. Want. Badly.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
If he can play I'm all for Fred trying to exploit the next under exploited source of college talent. That being said, it would be interesting to see how fan's reacted to it after the whole Lucca experience.

The whole Michalik experience worked out well for us, so we're at least 1 for 2.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Fred is the one man that has enough swag to stop Putin from taking the Crimea.

Now that the obvious is out of the way, yes, I'd love to hear more about Sviatoslav Mykhailuk.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
given all of fred's euro connections I'm surprised we haven't had a player like this so far.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Hard to get these types of elite Euro talents to come over here instead of making a couple hundred thousand in the Euro League.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

ISU has had both good and bad experience with international players

Julius Michalik
CJ Bruton
Lucca Staiger (of course)
Tony Rampton
Jiri Hubalek
Damion Staple
Martin Rancik

That is just a few not including our current Canadians or permanent resident limey.

You could go even further back and include names like Raul Duarte.

I just don't see how the Lucca situation should influence fan attitudes to another player just because he happens to be another recruit from across the pond. We already had 3 non-Americans on last years' roster.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
37YCTDO.gif