Most under rated band of all time

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Some of you must have misread the title of this thread, it very clearly is not titled "Name Several Bands That Nobody Has Heard Of And May Not Really Exist"

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I gotta disagree with you here, listen to the albums of CCR, Jason Boland, Aaron Watson, Turnpike, Case Donahew, etc. and you'll hear. I love Red Dirt and Texas Country because it hearkens back to the days of Outlaw country. I am not saying I don't like it for the reasons you listed, may favorite nights are watching these bands play, I don't think any one does it better than Boland, but it is so much more than just party music. But there is also a lot of good party tunes to jam to.

Speaking of the Troubadours, they are at Wooly's Tuesday night. Wish I could go, but an hour and a half both ways just won't make it happen. But, I will be headed down to see Cody Canada in May.

I've got tickets, but the rest of my usual concert going group had to bail, so I'm probably bailing too. I saw them there last summer and it was one of the best shows I've seen.

CCR and Jason Boland are definitely quality artists, but I have a hard time differentiating Casey Donahew from mainstream country anymore. I think it was the Doublewide Dream song that turned me off. Just way too "trucks, American flags, and country girls" for me. Might as well have been Luke Bryan or Eric Church.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I've got tickets, but the rest of my usual concert going group had to bail, so I'm probably bailing too. I saw them there last summer and it was one of the best shows I've seen.

CCR and Jason Boland are definitely quality artists, but I have a hard time differentiating Casey Donahew from mainstream country anymore. I think it was the Doublewide Dream song that turned me off. Just way too "trucks, American flags, and country girls" for me. Might as well have been Luke Bryan or Eric Church.

I can agree with that, should have Said Mickey and the Motorcars or Wade Bowen.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I gotta disagree with you here, listen to the albums of CCR, Jason Boland, Aaron Watson, Turnpike, Case Donahew, etc. and you'll hear. I love Red Dirt and Texas Country because it hearkens back to the days of Outlaw country. I am not saying I don't like it for the reasons you listed, may favorite nights are watching these bands play, I don't think any one does it better than Boland, but it is so much more than just party music. But there is also a lot of good party tunes to jam to.

Speaking of the Troubadours, they are at Wooly's Tuesday night. Wish I could go, but an hour and a half both ways just won't make it happen. But, I will be headed down to see Cody Canada in May.

If you like Red Dirt and Texas Country, seriously consider taking a vacation for the Music Fest at Steamboat. I went this year, it's a fabulous deal - five nights of lodging, four days of skiing, and concerts for around $650. Reservations are required almost a year in advance, but I'm very glad I went.

http://www.themusicfest.com/index2.php

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
You release a Beastie Boys song today and it's a hit.

I'm not saying that the Beastie Boys aren't great, I listened to some Paul's Boutique the other day. I'm saying if you don't release a rap album every couple of years people move on.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Entropy, have you heard a band called Entropy out of Spooner, Wisconsin? Actually, they are now called Entropy O.A.C. Good friends of mine, and a great "melodic metal" band.

I have not. I haven't lived in Eau Claire for 10+ years (I did my undergrad there). Do they tour/play much? I spend my summers up in Ely, MN and wouldn't mind wandering down to Duluth to catch a show.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I live in Eau Claire now it has one of the worst music scenes you could find for a town of 65K.

I think the issues are it's too close to MSP and the college is too small to draw in any decent acts. It's a good stopping point between Madison and MSP, but there just isn't enough demand. I never really went to shows when I lived there, we always went over to the Twin Cities.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Too lazy to link, but I just posted the video of SD playing Reelin' in the Years on Sugarman's Midnight Special as an aside in the "music you're embarrassed you like" thread. Great band, great song, but that video is just...wow.

That is why Steely Dan is such a great choice as "most under-rated." They barely toured and weren't all that good to watch. Yet, their studio work was so amazing.

The worst part about being a Steely Dan fan is how often I hear their music being used as musak in HyVee or as the 5 seconds of music between bits on NPR. It is so good, but those are not the right places to hear it.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
That is why Steely Dan is such a great choice as "most under-rated." They barely toured and weren't all that good to watch. Yet, their studio work was so amazing.

The worst part about being a Steely Dan fan is how often I hear their music being used as musak in HyVee or as the 5 seconds of music between bits on NPR. It is so good, but those are not the right places to hear it.

That may be, but I've never thought 2 Against Nature was better than Kid A. Ever.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think Steely Dan is one of those rare bands where you have a bunch of guys that are truly top-notch musicians, but yet they never fell into the trap that most of the prog rock and jazz influenced bands do - cramming a bunch of crazy solos and time changes to show how great they are.

Also, suit yourself, I'm ripping off air guitar solos in the produce section when a musak version of a song I like comes on in Hy-Vee. It's a good way to get the mouthbreathers trying to figure out which end of vegetable bag to open out of your way.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I guess I don't know if Brantley Gilbert really fits Red Dirt, probably not, but the same thing has happened to him. I heard some stuff from him a long time before he was ever known and his stuff was much better then than the stuff you hear now. I guess I'm just commenting on an example of the radio changing artists.

I also don't like your implied downtalk of Eric Church. He's one guy I like as far as radio country.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I guess I don't know if Brantley Gilbert really fits Red Dirt, probably not, but the same thing has happened to him. I heard some stuff from him a long time before he was ever known and his stuff was much better then than the stuff you hear now. I guess I'm just commenting on an example of the radio changing artists.

I also don't like your implied downtalk of Eric Church. He's one guy I like as far as radio country.

I think Eric Church is another Nashville puppet who tries to play up the "Outlaw" image to attempt to draw people who are just outside the fringes of radio country. To me there's no difference between him and Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts.

It's not really his fault; he's just doing what the label tells him and singing the songs they write for him, and he's making a boat load of cash. Brantley Gilbert is pretty much the same thing.

If it sounds like hip hop with a Southern white guy and the occasional fiddle line, it's not my bag.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think Eric Church is another Nashville puppet who tries to play up the "Outlaw" image to attempt to draw people who are just outside the fringes of radio country. To me there's no difference between him and Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts.

It's not really his fault; he's just doing what the label tells him and singing the songs they write for him, and he's making a boat load of cash. Brantley Gilbert is pretty much the same thing.

If it sounds like hip hop with a Southern white guy and the occasional fiddle line, it's not my bag.

All 3 of the above need to be moved to the 'overrated' thread. Very lazy musicians.

Granted, this guy's best stuff is either solo or when he toured with a 3 piece, but the folks that claim some jackbag like Jason Aldean as talented need more time outside of CMT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2521iMyTaL0

Not all time, but Megafaun has put out some perfect stuff.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Haven't read through this thread yet (I will), but I'm going to go ahead and assume Blind Melon hasn't been mentioned. They're considered a one-hit wonder, but 'Soup' is an absolutely delightful album. There, I said it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Haven't read through this thread yet (I will), but I'm going to go ahead and assume Blind Melon hasn't been mentioned. They're considered a one-hit wonder, but 'Soup' is an absolutely delightful album. There, I said it.

Couldn't agree more. I probably listen to Blind Melon as much (if not more) than any other 90's band who lost the lead singer to heroin.

IIRC, someone mentioned them.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
I think the issues are it's too close to MSP and the college is too small to draw in any decent acts. It's a good stopping point between Madison and MSP, but there just isn't enough demand. I never really went to shows when I lived there, we always went over to the Twin Cities.

Yeah that makes total sense. Honestly there aren't many cultural activities in this town. Be nice if/when they pass the Confluence Project.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
"Styx is the greatest band in the world and the only got a bad rep because most critics are cynical ********!"