Most under rated band of all time

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Let the games begin!!

I have to say Acid Bath, my favorite all time band. They have a cult following, but never made it big. Agents of Oblivion is a band that only released one album (200 or 2001 IIRC) and I think a lot of people on CF would dig it. Verbal Abuse would be high up on the list too. They are/were a cool punk rock band that I thought never got as much credit as they should have. They are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite punk band. "Just an American Band" is such an amazing album.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I find this exercise easier than "overrated bands," for some reason.

Quick list. Varying degrees, for different reasons, subjective (as these lists always are) and in alpha order:

• Blur
  • Cake
  • Camper Van Beethoven
  • The Cars
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • Motorhead
  • Sloan
  • Sly and the Family Stone
  • War
  • The Zombies

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I find this exercise easier than "overrated bands," for some reason.

Quick list. Varying degrees, for different reasons, subjective (as these lists always are) and in alpha order:

• Blur
  • Cake
  • Camper Van Beethoven
  • The Cars
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • Motorhead
  • Sloan
  • Sly and the Family Stone
  • War
  • The Zombies

Yeah this thread will have a lot less arguing than the "over rated bands" thread I'm sure. Good list!! CCR was great. I have mixed feelings for Motorhead. I like them, but always thought of them as over rated. They really didn't have all that many great songs, especially for a band that has been around for as long as they have.

I'll throw another band to the list. Floater from Oregon. Amazing band!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yeah this thread will have a lot less arguing than the "over rated bands" thread I'm sure. Good list!! CCR was great. I have mixed feelings for Motorhead. I like them, but always thought of them as over rated. They really didn't have all that many great songs, especially for a band that has been around for as long as they have.

I'll throw another band to the list. Floater from Oregon. Amazing band!

I was iffy including Motorhead, but it always come to mind with this topic. My ears hear it (mostly) as straight-ahead radio pop, but with a sound and tempo that guarantees it can't possibly fit.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Type O Negative
Reverend Horton Heat
Devotchka
Mindless Self Indulgence
Cowboy Mouth

...and the list goes on & on.

Last edited:

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
second Devotchka though they dont have many good songs.
Fiction 8 has some good songs though are taking forever to get out latest album.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Type O Negative
Reverend Horton Heat
Devotchka
Mindless Self Indulgence

...and the list goes on & on.

I don't care for MSI all that much, but I do love Type O. Bloody Kisses is one of the best albums ever! Today is the 4 year anniversary of Peter Steele's death. RIP

I'll throw out a couple of Iowa bands to this list: Painface, 35" Mudder, Index Case.

And this band from Oregon called Floater. This is the heaviest song I have heard by them.

http://youtu.be/GxN2Xt4Bd8Y

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
I don't care for MSI all that much, but I do love Type O. Bloody Kisses is one of the best albums ever! Today is the 4 year anniversary of Peter Steele's death. RIP

I'll throw out a couple of Iowa bands to this list: Painface, 35" Mudder, Index Case.

And this band from Oregon called Floater. This is the heaviest song I have heard by them.

http://youtu.be/GxN2Xt4Bd8Y

Iowa bands that should be bigger than what they are/were:
North of Grand,
Odium,
Devil with Cheese/Soul Sick,
Dirty Little Rabbits

...and this list goes on & on.

Last edited:

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Not sure if any of these bands are under rated. Just some that I listen to a lot that most of my friends or family don't seem to listen to.

-Sigur Ros (was in last episode of Game of Thrones btw)
-Explosions in the Sky
-CCR
-Tower of Power
-Ben Folds
-Fleet Foxes
-Against Me!
-Streetlight Manifesto
-Gerry Mulligan

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Slade, precursor to ACDC. Hot current Iowa band, Holy White Hounds.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Two bands that never really made it big when country rock was alive where the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Mason Profit. I wish I had a copy of NGDB dirt , silver and gold yet. BTW, Steve Martin used to play bango for the Dirt Band. It was pretty funny to see him on the Album with black hair.

http://thebenshi.com/?p=1848

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Move
Crowbar

I have a hard time seeing legendary bands like Creedence being in any way, shape, or form underrated.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Possibly the most subjective of all musical debates... My list will include solo artists as well.

The Faces
Jerry Jeff Walker
Warren Zevon
Slobberbone
Little Feat
The Bottle Rockets
The Hold Steady

There's just a ton of ridiculously underrated bands out there. I could throw a lot of others (Drive By Truckers, Lydia Loveless, Lucero, Turnpike Troubadours) out there, but these are bands/artists that I think are in that "criminally underrated" category.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
Let the games begin!!

I have to say Acid Bath, my favorite all time band. They have a cult following, but never made it big. Agents of Oblivion is a band that only released one album (200 or 2001 IIRC) and I think a lot of people on CF would dig it. Verbal Abuse would be high up on the list too. They are/were a cool punk rock band that I thought never got as much credit as they should have. They are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite punk band. "Just an American Band" is such an amazing album.

Dudes sound like they took a bath in it. Back in the day I did get down with some When The Kite String Pops.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
#1. Love - specifically the album Forever Changes, should have the same type of cult classic worship the Velvet Underground get but it doesn't

[video=youtube;Q1L11Y0I5E0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1L11Y0I5E0[/video]

Others for me:
Supergrass
The Bangles & B52s (outside of annoying overplayed hits both have some great music)
Anthrax
The Stone Roses
Blur (underrated here but massively popular in UK)
Public Enemy
The Zombies (saw someone else post that and totally agree)

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Burlap to Cashmere
Falling Up
Stellar Kart
Anberlin

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
#1. Love - specifically the album Forever Changes, should have the same type of cult classic worship the Velvet Underground get but it doesn't

Others for me:
Supergrass
The Bangles & B52s (outside of annoying overplayed hits both have some great music)
Anthrax
The Stone Roses
Blur (underrated here but massively popular in UK)
Public Enemy
The Zombies (saw someone else post that and totally agree)
Love Shack turned the B52s into a cliche, but they were a great band.