Dynasty in the making?

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
Powerhouse in the making?...Is that Better Fellas...

Not that I am looking past this year or even next, but looking at our roster two years from now I can't help but think we are looking to be a perennial powerhouse in basketball for quite some time with the Mayor at the helm...

Two years from now we will still have Niang, Nader, McKay and Long as seniors, Thomas & Morris as juniors and Custer as a sophmore. Granted there is a chance we may lose one of those guys to the pro's early (I could see Monte being that guy), but without adding ANYTHING to that team, we would be contenders to win the Big 12 with those 7...

I don't see us going anywhere but trending upwards in recruiting also...

Truly great to be a Cyclone right now...I thought I had it good back in 2000 when I was in school!

Thoughts??

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Isn't the first rule of dynasty that you have to win the title before you start talking about dynasties?

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
I'm pretty sure this thread was started in March of 2000. Before this website existed. That didn't turn out like we thought it would. Just sayin'. This could be different, or maybe not, who knows.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Isn't the first rule of dynasty that you have to win the title before you start talking about dynasties?

LOL. Exactly. Let's win one first. Or even get to the title game. Or the Final Four. Or the Elite 8. We don't even have a conference regular season championship year.

Even Kansas, Duke, NC, Kentucky don't have recent "dynasties".

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Win the title and then you and the trophy can start making little baby dynasties, it's the circle of life.

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
All right...so "dynasty" isn't a perfect term...How about blue blood, powerhouse, etc....just have an overall feeling that we will be a force for the foreseeable future...better??

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think we are to the point where we could be a perennial top 25 team, and a fixture in the NCAA tournament. To be a dynasty, blue blood, powerhouse, etc you need to win at a high level (regular season titles, elite 8 appearances or better) over and over for many many years. We aren't even in the same ballpark as those titles, and I don't think we ever will be. Fred could have a coaching career here worthy of a statue and renaming the floor, and it could still fall short of what it would take to consider us a dynasty, or start lumping us in with blue blood programs.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm pretty sure this thread was started in March of 2000. Before this website existed. That didn't turn out like we thought it would. Just sayin'. This could be different, or maybe not, who knows.

I'm pretty sure Fred ain't a drunk, and won't be hangin' out with Missouri skanks, so we're good, I think. (full disclosure, not to pound on Larry, I like the guy and am glad he appears to be beating his demons, merely being brutally honest as to why "that didn't turn out like we thought it would")

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
LOL. Exactly. Let's win one first. Or even get to the title game. Or the Final Four. Or the Elite 8. We don't even have a conference regular season championship year.

Even Kansas, Duke, NC, Kentucky don't have recent "dynasties".

10 straight conference titles doesn't count as a dynasty?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
We aren't a dynasty by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, I think we play in a Final 4 before George graduates.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's way to early to be talking about this kind of stuff though, we've had a few good seasons strung together and the future looks promising. What you're talking about takes years to accomplish, and more importantly it takes winning, lots of winning.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron