Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I'm not an Applebee's fan at all, I always felt like Carlos O'Kelly's at least did a few things passably and that were sort of unique. Awfully hard to justify going there over Azteca, however.

Between CO'K and LJS closing, it's sort of a ghost town at the corner of Grand and Lincoln Way.

It does make you wonder what will come to replace them. Did we really need another subway where Quiznos was?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Only redeeming quality of Carlos O'Kellys is the queso.

The queso fundido at either Fuente or Azteca are so much better, though. Carlos O'Kellys had a chipotle pasta that used to be passable. The chipotle cheese crisp also used to be okay, just never great.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It does make you wonder what will come to replace them. Did we really need another subway where Quiznos was?

I do understand why they'd go there, though, it's already built for a sandwich shop, and they don't have any other presence on Lincoln Way other than way out west. It's a little silly when it's about two blocks south of the one on Main Street, but I can sort of see the reasoning.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Applebee's and Carlos O'Kellys are related? This explains so much.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think both Applebee's and Carlos O'Kelly's are franchised but some franchises of each are owned by the same conglomerate in Iowa.

So, they may not be related at all at the corporate level, but they may be in Iowa due to certain franchise agreements.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Between CO'K and LJS closing, it's sort of a ghost town at the corner of Grand and Lincoln Way.

That whole stretch of lincoln way between grand and duff could use some redevelopment and liberal use of a bulldozer.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not getting into the whole chain food thing (knowing we will) Applebee's at least has a lot better quality food and I eat there more than once every few years.
I would rather take my chances at getting e-coli from Taco Bell than eat at Applebees.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We used to be big La Fuente believers until the new Azteca was built, that **** is thoroughly good.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I honestly thought Carlos O'Kelly's had already closed.

I noticed El Azteca is getting a lot of love on here, does that mean La Fuente on Duff is closed? I liked El Azteca but always thought it came in 2nd to La Fuente when I was living in Ames. It's been a while so they may have closed or gone down hill since I lived there.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I'd put El Azteca the best in town, not only for price/quality, but the customer service/friendliness. I think we went a whole month with out going and when we showed up again the servers we knew all stopped by!

It could be they just wanted to see Zoe though :wideeyed:

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
I have no idea how the one on Westown Parkway stayed open so long. It's such a bad location.

That was truly a mystery. It was seemingly a worse location than the Twin Peaks location (pre-Twin Peaks...amazing what Peaks will do for a business). Nothing worked in that spot before.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I honestly thought Carlos O'Kelly's had already closed.

I noticed El Azteca is getting a lot of love on here, does that mean La Fuente on Duff is closed? I liked El Azteca but always thought it came in 2nd to La Fuente when I was living in Ames. It's been a while so they may have closed or gone down hill since I lived there.

We actually went to Carlos on a whim a few weeks ago, and weren't planning to repeat that error.

La Fuente is still there, just not nearly as good as El Azteca. That cheese at Fuente just doesn't work.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I know there's a lot people who are not an Applebee's fan, but I like it. I've never had a bad experience. Although I've only eaten at 6 or 7 different stores between Iowa and Wisconsin

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We actually went to Carlos on a whim a few weeks ago, and weren't planning to repeat that error.

La Fuente is still there, just not nearly as good as El Azteca. That cheese at Fuente just doesn't work.

Poor blockage properties?

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
The Carlos O'Kelly's in the Cedar Rapids / Marion are is always busy. The only logically reason is that is full of hawk fans.

I never understood why people would go to those places when there is better and cheaper Mexican food places.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron