How many students have died in Lake LaVarne?

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
When I was at ISU in the early 2000's I know there were 2 drunk students that died. One in the lake, and one in the ditch of college creek near Dominoes walking back from the Kum'n'Go.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
one kid walked in there after going to an ATM machine during my time in ames. the next day they had polar plunge so those people likely stepped on his body

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Strange topic. Kind of out of left field.

I think that one kid in 2006 or 2007 ended up in there.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
whatever the number is it seems odd how many college student drown nationwide. its like they are attracted to the water - in Mn and WI a few years back there were about 20 total drownings.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
None, the Smiley Face Killer got them and placed them in Lake LaVerne.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
A better question is how many of the deceased rose up again later? I've seen lots of suspicious looking things walking the ISU campus and I'm not sure all of them are considered to be among the living.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A better question is how many of the deceased rose up again later? I've seen lots of suspicious looking things walking the ISU campus and I'm not sure all of them are considered to be among the living.
Zombies wearing black yoga pants and brown boots?

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Not sure how many people but I do know Lake LaVerne was the temporary resting place for a goal post.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant

They weren't un-dead. Just college of design students after spending a little too much time in the studio. They probably smelled like they were dead, though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
one kid walked in there after going to an ATM machine during my time in ames. the next day they had polar plunge so those people likely stepped on his body

I remember that. Sat in husband's dorm room with a lake view watching when they had the vehicles there pulling him out. I always wondered what all the sorority girls thought about jumping in that lake with a dead body.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I felt so bad that I laughed at this, but when I was a student, I was walking by the lake just as a guy was talking his kid into dumping his goldfish in the lake. Kid tossed it water and all and one of the swans nabbed it.

Saw an opossum crawl out and scare the heck out of some girl ahead of me one day.

I used to walk across the ice all of the time to save a few steps, undoubtedly a dumb move but lived through it.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
I remember that. Sat in husband's dorm room with a lake view watching when they had the vehicles there pulling him out. I always wondered what all the sorority girls thought about jumping in that lake with a dead body.

Sounds funny when you say it that way. I guess my dorm room had a lake view as well. High class.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I felt so bad that I laughed at this, but when I was a student, I was walking by the lake just as a guy was talking his kid into dumping his goldfish in the lake. Kid tossed it water and all and one of the swans nabbed it.

Saw an opossum crawl out and scare the heck out of some girl ahead of me one day.

I used to walk across the ice all of the time to save a few steps, undoubtedly a dumb move but lived through it.

friends had to pull a friend off the ice there when he decided to drunkenly pull that move on Halloween.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sounds funny when you say it that way. I guess my dorm room had a lake view as well. High class.

ha, I wasn't even trying to sound fancy, but I suppose he did have a nice view. The lake over to MU. I could see Helser and a parking lot, woot.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I'm really trying, but I can't think of any normal route across campus where it would actually be less effort to walk across the ice instead of around Lake LaVerne.