COLUMN: Hang the man's jersey up already

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Melvin needed a statement game to really put his name at the top of the list for POY in the Big 12.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ejim is great and probably deserves to have his jersey retired, but isn't this really something that needs to wait a few years? When there is buzz about him long after the fact, then you know you should retire his jersey. I don't think we should even talk about memorializing him until after he finishes his great. Let's just enjoy his success each step of the way.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
His stats all season (and last) have earned him a place in the discussion for Big 12 awards...a game like today finally opens more eyes. Hope he can maintain his averages....he needs to he first team big 12....would be amazing if he got POY for big 12 and/or all American status (academic, too).

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Most importantly, without Ejim’s outburst, Iowa State’s 84-69 victory over the Horned Frogs was on pace to be more boring than a MAC Tuesday night football showdown on ESPN2.

I take issue with this statement, C-Dubs. I'd gladly take a PV-Bettendorf, or *** High-North Scott, showdown and be happy to watch it.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Fine if people want to wait 5 years, I just can't understand the crowd that doesn't want Melvin's jersey hung. If Melvin can't be up there then nobody can ever again. He's everything that is right with college athletics and Iowa State University. It's a career thing, it's a body of work award, it's about being a complete player, it's about who you are as an institution and as a program. It's not about who was better at one specific point in time. When Fizer was a junior he was a better player than Melvin, yes I agree. But it's more than how many rebounds he had in how many years. Those that say Cain had more rebounds in 3 years, I can't think of a more meaningless stat. Melvin was here 4 years, I think that gives him and edge on Cain if anything. It isn't only about comparing Melvin's numbers to our other greats, where Melvin matches up more than well enough. It's more than that.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Fine if people want to wait 5 years, I just can't understand the crowd that doesn't want Melvin's jersey hung. If Melvin can't be up there then nobody can ever again. He's everything that is right with college athletics and Iowa State University. It's a career thing, it's a body of work award, it's about being a complete player, it's about who you are as an institution and as a program. It's not about who was better at one specific point in time. When Fizer was a junior he was a better player than Melvin, yes I agree. But it's more than how many rebounds he had in how many years. Those that say Cain had more rebounds in 3 years, I can't think of a more meaningless stat. Melvin was here 4 years, I think that gives him and edge on Cain if anything. It isn't only about comparing Melvin's numbers to our other greats, where Melvin matches up more than well enough. It's more than that.

Who are you arguing against?

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Those that say Cain had more rebounds in 3 years, I can't think of a more meaningless stat. Melvin was here 4 years, I think that gives him and edge on Cain if anything.

Cain played when all freshmen were ineligible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron