Tasheed Carr sighting on ESPN2

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
St. Joes's is hosting St. Louis right now on TV.

I wonder why Carr didn't play much at all his sophomore year for us. I'm sure it's been written on here before, but we certainly could have used him the last two seasons. He's leading the Atlantic 10 in assists with 6 per game and is 18th in the country in the same category. Also averaging 11 points per game.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Tasheed had a rough sophomore year...going into the season, everyone was talking about how he was the most improved player on the team...but then when he got into the games, the shots just wouldn't drop, and he admittedly tried to do too much...then it became a mental thing.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
McDermott offered him the opportunity to stay, but he had already made up his mind to leave.

As to why he didn't play as a sophomore here?

He was lost on the floor and turned the ball over all the time as I remember.

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
I consider Tasheed to be a prime example of Wayne Morgan's lack of coaching. He came in as a great shooter, but needed to improve his ball handling at this level. There was no improvement in his game from Freshman to Sophomore years. He struggled in traps from the average teams in the Big 12 and threw the ball away numerous times.
He always had great potential and I'm glad he landed somewhere that could give him the coaching he needed and the playing time to show what he's capable of.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Like him or not, I will always remember Tasheed for his heroics in our road win @ Texas 3 years ago. Unfortunately including his stomping on the longhorn logo, and Morgan yelling at him to stop it.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I always felt but have no proof that Carr's problems came more from his relationship with the two super stars than any on court/performance issues. Just some things hinted at during the last half of that season. Carr is averaging 11 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, and 4.5 rebounds for St. Joe's, but they have some work to do to get an invite to the dance.

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
One thing that sticks out to me is that for awhile at ISU, he wouldn't get much playing time at one time. It seemed like he would come in for 3 minutes, then leave again. I always thought that it was hard for him to get into a rythme only playing for short amounts of time.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I always felt but have no proof that Carr's problems came more from his relationship with the two super stars than any on court/performance issues. Just some things hinted at during the last half of that season. Carr is averaging 11 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, and 4.5 rebounds for St. Joe's, but they have some work to do to get an invite to the dance.

I find this interesting...What do you mean by this?

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I find it interesting that a Divsion 1 program can still have a 3,000 Seat Basketball Facility. That in an average size 3-4A Gym in Iowa. That just strikes me as odd.

iowast_nate

Jan 22, 2008
Davenport
Like him or not, I will always remember Tasheed for his heroics in our road win @ Texas 3 years ago. Unfortunately including his stomping on the longhorn logo, and Morgan yelling at him to stop it.

That is my memory as well...
"Tasheed, No" as Wayne waves his finger in the air at him.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Morgan said that the reason TC didnt play much his Jr year was due to the fact Neal was playing so well. Its just too bad he wouldnt have stayed, he would have gotten plenty of mins and a good shot at being a star in the Big 12. The past is the past and it is time to move on from those that didnt want to be part of the Cyclone family anymore.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
I think something everyone forgets about Tasheed is that early in his sophomore year, maybe the first game, he dislocated his shoulder in a game. After he came back from that, maybe too early, he struggled with his shooting. But everyone seems to forget he was hurt. I believe he also dislocated his hip before his freshman season, in the Cap City League. I really wish he would have stayed, he was going to get better, and he showed he could light it up during our run his freshman year.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Cyfan13, do Tasheed and Rahshon still talk much? I realize Tasheed made the decision he felt was best for himself but it really would have been cool to see him and Rahshon finish their careers out together...and of course, we could use him now :)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We could pretty much use anybody that can chew gum and shoot the ball at the same time. Next year, we can use anybody who can chew gum and rebound at the same time.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
We could pretty much use anybody that can chew gum and shoot the ball at the same time. Next year, we can use anybody who can chew gum and rebound at the same time.

I dont really care if they can chew gum.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Kansascy- Well, there you go again. Do I need to recite for you again the Morgan record at ISU v McDermott, and their record against each other? There were plenty of reasons Tasheed fell off his sophomore year (as cited in other posts) and bad coaching certainly wasn't one of them.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Cyfan13, do Tasheed and Rahshon still talk much? I realize Tasheed made the decision he felt was best for himself but it really would have been cool to see him and Rahshon finish their careers out together...and of course, we could use him now :)

Yes, they still talk all the time. Rahshon and Ta were best friends and roommates when Ta was here, and they have never stopped talking. We went down to Omaha to watch him play against Creighton earlier this year. It was really good to see him. We're talking about going up to Philly to see him this summer too. I really wish Ta would have stayed, but he just wanted to be closer to home, and I can understand that. It would be great to have him here though!

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Kansascy- Well, there you go again. Do I need to recite for you again the Morgan record at ISU v McDermott, and their record against each other? There were plenty of reasons Tasheed fell off his sophomore year (as cited in other posts) and bad coaching certainly wasn't one of them.

Exactly. Ta fell off his soph year because:

1. He was injured
2. He was dealing with issues back home
3. He had a bit of an attitude

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I find this interesting...What do you mean by this?
I don't know. I'm sure you have more knowledge in this matter, and I hate to say much because someone will repeat it as a fact.
This is what I thought: Blalok and Stinson were overly aggresive in their criticism of Carr. I wasn't there! Just somethings said off hand, and some body language. Carr did announce his plans and dropped off the team long before WM was sent out the door.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron