NBA: Royce White worst first round pick ever?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Idk why he would take pride in that. It means that the Rockets do not take the time to understand more about their prospects. Was Royce a first round talent? Absolutely. But when you don't take the time to understand the young man and how his mind works, it is your fault. You are not swinging for the fence. Instead, you are playing with fire.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
He does make a decent argument that Royce is the only pick that has never played a minute in the NBA. (Outside of European players staying in Europe)

As bad as Anthony Bennett has been, he actually hurt his team by playing minutes. So that argument is invalid, IMO.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
There are so many 1st round picks that don't pan out, I don't know how you could objectively label one the "worst". Just because somebody was able to hang on to the 12th spot on the bench for 2 years before getting cut, does that make them that much more of a success than Royce?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
As bad as Anthony Bennett has been, he actually hurt his team by playing minutes. So that argument is invalid, IMO.

Fair enough. I dont disagree with your previous comment, I just think its WAY too early to label Bennett as a bust. He isnt even half way through his rookie year. Just thought it was a good point made by the GM.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Idk why he would take pride in that. It means that the Rockets do not take the time to understand more about their prospects. Was Royce a first round talent? Absolutely. But when you don't take the time to understand the young man and how his mind works, it is your fault. You are not swinging for the fence. Instead, you are playing with fire.

I'm sure he wouldn't be making these comments if he hadn't made several very good moves since drafting Royce. Having picked up Harden and Dwight Howard makes it a lot easier for Morey to joke about this.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
In terms of the money actually spent White doesn't even come close as worst ever. In terms of making a mockery of his situation with the Rockets probably pretty close. Welcome to the NBA. The Rockets got zero results for x million. I'd argue there have been far bigger disasters in terms of contracts versus production.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'd say that Royce has done much more damage to the cause of people suffering from anxiety than he did to the Rocket's organization.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd say that Royce has done much more damage to the cause of people suffering from anxiety than he did to the Rocket's organization.

Probably this.

He's obviously not a successful pick, but most picks aren't. Most guys picked do actually make it to a game, maybe even in a game, and Royce didn't do that.
I don't know how to gauge anyone as the worst 1st rounder, but Royce probably has to make the short list.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Greg Oden is easily the worst first round pick ever when looking at his giant red flags and the player taken #2. He looked like he was 40, hobbled around on broken knees like he was 60, couldn't stay healthy for a thirty game college season, and couldn't play above average offense in college. Taking him #1 meant saying no to Kevin Durant. My thoughts were the same on draft day as they are now, I've always been shocked he was even a top five pick, definitely shocked he was taken over Durant.

Sam Bowie who many would bring up was a phenomenal NBA player compared to Oden. Darko has been much better than Oden and Carmelo and even Wade aren't Durant.

Last edited:

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Royce is apparently going to join the Iowa Energy. So he is still trying to get back. Hopefully this helps him put some fuel on the fire.

Help Support Us

Become a patron