Charlie Strong's comments to his new team at Texas

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Strong’s new rules for UT football players

All players will live on campus until they are seniors...and UT will pay all their deposits on apts off campus and they will live in campus housing...

All players will sit on the first two rows in their classes....They will not refer to women as "ho's" or any other derogatory descriptions...No cell phones and other electronic devices for football players in any class...ever..

Miss one class and they will run until it hurts...Miss two classes and their positions mates will run until it hurts and so will their position coach run until it hurts...Miss three classes and the whole team will run until it hurts..

So those were the ones that caught my eye the most, but here is the complete list...

1.Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

2.No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

3.If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

4.No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

5.Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6.The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

7.There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

8.Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

9.The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

10.Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

11."I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This should go over well for the 18-22 year olds who have been told they are gods since they were 12.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems rather Chizik-like.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Sounds like things were running amok and he's trying to get discipline back into the program, I don't have any problem with it, good for him.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I actually like it...and I think that it could fly at UT......but, there will be a culture shift.

I was at KSU when the Snyder to Prince change happened....basically the opposite of above happened. I think this sends the message of discipline and respect.

I think the only couple that COULD be a deterrent are the living on campus through senior year, etc. I could see a two year requirement and then some benchmarks to earn off campus living.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
LOL, as if sitting in the front row is going to help. I am sure many of my professers thought I was asleep as I often sat in back and put my head down. However, I am a very auditory learner and found that I coud really listen and interpret the information. Of course sometimes they just were boring the crap out of me. I wonder when the wave of transfers starts.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Seems rather Chizik-like.
Except, at Texas, if you don't tow the line & want to leave (or are asked to leave), there are a bunch of 4 & 5 star kids waiting to step in. Also, unlike Chizik, Strong is a proven winner (as a head coach, that is). While I am glad for those young men that they will be given some guidance and rules to improve themselves as men, this, IMHO, does not bode well for the rest of the conference. They will be a much more difficult team to beat going forward.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Very interested to see what his reaction will be the first time a star player gets arrested for something.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think this is great and will work as long as the rules are applied equally and they are enforced. Problems arise from having rules and not following through with them...good for Coach Strong!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, I can't imagine these rules well ever be used against them for recruiting purposes. "Sit in the front row of class? Here at Alabama we have a academic resource facility where our tutors do your school work for you. Also, we could care less what you call your women, just as long as you don't hit them!"

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Very interested to see what his reaction will be the first time a star player gets arrested for something.

Yeah, that's where Strong will have to look "winning" in the eye....easy to enforce these rules for second stringers, etc...but when your star QB or another person has something happen and you have to enforce the rule, that will show he's serious. I don't know the current culture there on campus, but some of these rules can also go a long way in breaking down any frustrations faculty may have with how things are done.

I do LOVE the rule about running...miss a class and you run...miss two and your group runs...three, the coach runs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron