Charlie Strong's comments to his new team at Texas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Did they hire a coach or a fuhrer?

Maybe if they didn't recruit a bunch of screw offs in the first place these rules would be obvious.

I don't understand why coaches feel the need to control every aspect of their players lives. Just coach football. ..

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Really - or was this meant with a dash of sarcasm? How strict was the Chiz?

Thinking about Chizik's strange concern for external things and order where there really didn't need to be order, while also tanking the spirit and performance of the team.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Zack Spears@Zacklopedia11h
Coach Rhoads exact rules he runs his program by are on here #'s 1,2,3,4,6 &8 --- Charlie Strong's new rules at Texas: http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/1/14/5308182/culture-change-at-texas …

4.No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

th

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
We'll see how Strong works out.

Personally, I think Texas should have found a way to hire Gus Malzahn.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not a phrase I use, but it popped immediately into my mind when I read those rules:

"S*** just got real, man!"

Good for Strong. Better if the enforcement is applied equally. Texas football players have helicopter parents who believe their little darlings can do no wrong, and believe me...they CAN. Emphasizing academics and character will not harm these young men...it will make them much more than a football player. I don't see these rules as bad. Tough, but not outrageous. And to Texas kids, playing for UT is a reward in itself. I don't think he'll be hurting for recruits.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I have had a couple of friends play small college ball (like Wartburg) in Iowa and Minnesota, and #1, 2, 3, 6, and 8 all sound very familiar...

We were told to go to class several times but never had anyone check up on us. I missed plenty and we never had to run. I never saw anyone wearing headphones but most classes were 10-15 people so there was participation expected by the profs.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I like that he is trying to make UT relevant again, but as is with any big change, its a weeding out deal.

Going to be a little rebuilding here I think.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I love it, he's trying to build men into people of high character while contributing to the football program. The university is paying those scholarships, and strong wants them in class. If a career after college in football doesn't work out, at least they'll be educated well.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Love those guidelines. It's all about respect and doing the right thing.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Rule 5 is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks that since the school is paying for their housing, they should be able to tell them where to live?

I don't doubt are some cool apartments in Austin but I'm sure the dorms they're putting them in won't be Friley quality, it's Texas.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think the rules about having to live on campus and sit in the first couple rows in a class are stupid.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I think the rules about having to live on campus and sit in the first couple rows in a class are stupid.

Agree. I can see the living on campus rule for freshmen and sophomores. I also don't understand the issue with wearing an earring in the athletic complex. Who cares if they wear earrings?

acody

Nov 25, 2006
That should help them compete for recruits.

He's the boss and can set the rules, but I do not think it's a good idea to write this stuff down and make it public. It can be communicated clearly at daily meetings. Coaches will use that against him in recruiting. Anyone in any management position should be extremely careful what they publish via email, text, etc.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
How is he going to recruit 5 star players if they have to go to class? I call BS, this whole thing is just for show.