Teamrankings.com ISU is #8 on S-curve, 23% Chance at #1 seed

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That is a fun site to play with. Thank you for sharing.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I thought two teams from the same conference couldn't be given the same seed? That's why the B1G last year was given seeds like that. Michigan got a 4 seed because Michigan State got the 3 seed.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I thought two teams from the same conference couldn't be given the same seed? That's why the B1G last year was given seeds like that. Michigan got a 4 seed because Michigan State got the 3 seed.

I think you just made up this rule. Conferences have had multiple number one seeds many times.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Ron-Burgundy-That-Doesnt-Make-Any-Sense.gif

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think you just made up this rule. Conferences have had multiple number one seeds many times.

There are some rules and guidelines about conferences in the NCAA tournament, such as maybe a rule preventing them from playing each other until the Sweet 16 or something, but nothing about two or more teams being given the same seed. Heck, just last season Oklahoma was also a #10 seed, just like us.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
It's just what I remember hearing some guy who's name rhymes with Bunardi say.

Reactions: Doc

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
There are some rules and guidelines about conferences in the NCAA tournament, such as maybe a rule preventing them from playing each other until the Sweet 16 or something, but nothing about two or more teams being given the same seed. Heck, just last season Oklahoma was also a #10 seed, just like us.

Yeah, I think they tried to avoid rematches before Sweet 16, and no potential matchups with a conference member until Regional Finals, but I think most of these have been relaxed almost to the point of non-existence.

Because of expansion, it makes a lot of those old rules mathematically impossible in certain years.

I think you could see a fellow conference member as early as the round of 32 now.

H

HGPuck

The rule this year for conference teams is that if they played once they can't meet until the round of 32, if they have played twice they can't meet until the round of 16, and if they have played three times they can't meet until the elite 8.

This is a slight change for this year, in previous years the guideline was not more than two teams from the same conference could be in the same region (unless the conference had 9 or more teams in the tournament). There also was an old guideline that the top 3 teams from a conference were separated in the bracket. Now the top 4 in a conference are separated in different regions, but only if they are a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't care what anyone else says, I would love to get a rematch with Iowa at some point in the tournament (this is under the assumption that they get in, I would much rather see them NIT-bound).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The rule this year for conference teams is that if they played once they can't meet until the round of 32, if they have played twice they can't meet until the round of 16, and if they have played three times they can't meet until the elite 8.

This is a slight change for this year, in previous years the guideline was not more than two teams from the same conference could be in the same region (unless the conference had 9 or more teams in the tournament). There also was an old guideline that the top 3 teams from a conference were separated in the bracket. Now the top 4 in a conference are separated in different regions, but only if they are a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed.

Thanks for the info. ISU will be immune to any Round of 32 matchups and hopefully immune to seeing 3 teams in the Sweet 16. :smile:

Help Support Us

Become a patron