Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I watched the replay of the Kansas game last night. And pregame there was a shot of CPR pulling up Sam's coat with a friendly exchange between them and smiles. So I am not going to say there is animosity there. IMO, there is an injury to Sam and he can't effectively throw the ball very well. That would definitely hamper the team. IMO, the comment made about GR getting the first snap in spring ball was off the cuff but maybe it was made to inspire confidence so that GR can play loose. I find CPR's comments about our offense after the Kansas game to be more troubling. It almost seemed like he thinks our offense is on track now and there are no problems. Maybe that is to inspire confidence as well. But I am not sure the status quo is the direction we need to go for next year. IMO, some changes need to be made.

Reactions: VeloClone

pavlov

Dec 1, 2012
Those saying Sam is better than Rohach. How many games has Sam won? I think Rohach has shown steady improvement in each game he has played. I cannot say the same for Sam, who seemed to get worse each game he played injuries or no injuries.

I think the coaches are seeing this as well and would rather have a guy with upside play. Rohach once developed will be a tremendous QB. I have no qualms putting my name on that!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Those saying Sam is better than Rohach. How many games has Sam won? I think Rohach has shown steady improvement in each game he has played. I cannot say the same for Sam, who seemed to get worse each game he played injuries or no injuries.

I think the coaches are seeing this as well and would rather have a guy with upside play. Rohach once developed will be a tremendous QB. I have no qualms putting my name on that!!

At Tulsa and we should have won at home against Texas.....unless you want to blame Sam for the successful Hail Mary pass just before half......and also the blown call by the officials on the Jeremiah George takeaway at the goal line.

Of course, we should also blame Sam for the terrible defense against UNI where we let them score TD's on their first 3 possessions and Miller had zero tackles and Jeremiah George had 2 tackles. And Sam should also be blamed for having a severe ankle injury and our OC still insists on running the zone read to injure him some more.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
The man is paid over a million dollars a year and has as high of profile job as there is in the State. I assume he knows his words are going to be scrutinized and that they have meaning. It would have taken nothing for him to say "I'm not worried about who is our #1 guy next year, I'm worried about WVU." But instead he made a statement that deviates from the tone he seems to take with every other position.

I like CPR and I want him to stay our coach for some time to come. However, I've lost all faith in his ability to manage the most important position on our team.

If you've truly lost all faith in CPR's ability "to manage the most important position on our team", then why in the world would you "want him to stay for some time to come"? That makes zero sense.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
A coach doesn't just randomly announce before the last game of the year that an underclassman who has been filling in for an injured starter is going to take the first snap.

Because in my mind, and I think in a lot of people's mind, Rohach is not the #1 QB or even really the "starter" anymore than Jevohn Miller is the "starter" over Luke Knott. He's a guy who is filling in for a hurt starter. And Rhoads just announced, out of the blue with no reason to do so, that Rohach, not Richardson, is the guy who will start with the #1s next spring.

Its a big deal because if Rhoads felt he had to say something it should have been "Sam Richardson will be the #1 QB when we start the spring, but all four guys will be competing for the spot once practice begins".

Again, this isn't something that happened in isolation. This is just another step in a long, long line of Rhoads having absolutely no idea how to handle the QB position.

It's almost comical because you actually seem to be arguing with reality. As if what's in "your mind" is what is actually true. Let me tell you something about arguing with reality. You'll lose...................but only 100% of the time!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It's almost comical because you actually seem to be arguing with reality. As if what's in "your mind" is what is actually true. Let me tell you something about arguing with reality. You'll lose...................but only 100% of the time!

So just to be clear, what you are saying is that "reality" is that if Richardson and Rohach were both fully healthy, Rohach would be our starting quarterback right now?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
At Tulsa and we should have won at home against Texas.....unless you want to blame Sam for the successful Hail Mary pass just before half......and also the blown call by the officials on the Jeremiah George takeaway at the goal line.

Of course, we should also blame Sam for the terrible defense against UNI where we let them score TD's on their first 3 possessions and Miller had zero tackles and Jeremiah George had 2 tackles. And Sam should also be blamed for having a severe ankle injury and our OC still insists on running the zone read to injure him some more.

True, obviously Sam played well enough to beat Texas and also well enough to beat a good West Virginia team last year, outplaying Jets qb Gino Smith. He's a very good qb when healthy and if Rohach follows up with a good game in Morgantown, we'll have at least 2 good qb's going into next year. But I'm not going to get carried away with Rohach on one good game against KU on a slippery field, though he did throw the ball much better.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
True, obviously Sam played well enough to beat Texas and also well enough to beat a good West Virginia team last year, outplaying Jets qb Gino Smith. He's a very good qb when healthy and if Rohach follows up with a good game in Morgantown, we'll have at least 2 good qb's going into next year. But I'm not going to get carried away with Rohach on one good game against KU on a slippery field, though he did throw the ball much better.

That is the whole point IMO. Take out Rohach's Kansas performance and he has played very poorly and our offense has been downright terrible. In the TCU game we scored one offensive TD on a run by Sam after a 4th down pass by Kirby. We had a Nealy KO return for a TD. And scored a field goal the rest of the game with Rohach. Against Oklahoma the announcers were even saying that ISU could not get down by two scores because the ISU offense was so terrible they could not make two scores.

I wonder what people have been smoking that think things are okay now. I need to see more proof this Saturday.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
[/B]
If you've truly lost all faith in CPR's ability "to manage the most important position on our team", then why in the world would you "want him to stay for some time to come"? That makes zero sense.

Because he is a capable leader and he has proven he can coach the other facets of the game. I don't doubt we can get someone in here that can fix the QB situation. I think it will take CPR finding a position coach/coordinator he trusts and agreeing to give up some amount of control over the QB position.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
So just to be clear, what you are saying is that "reality" is that if Richardson and Rohach were both fully healthy, Rohach would be our starting quarterback right now?

No...not even close. What I'm saying is that you stated, "in my mind, Rohach isn't the starter....", and it is only in your mind, perhaps a few deluded others, that Rohach is not the starter. He's even been named such going into Spring camp. Perhaps there's a good reason for this that CPR just happened to forget to inform you about.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
No...not even close. What I'm saying is that you stated, "in my mind, Rohach isn't the starter....", and it is only in your mind, perhaps a few deluded others, that Rohach is not the starter. He's even been named such going into Spring camp. Perhaps there's a good reason for this that CPR just happened to forget to inform you about.

It sounded like he was asking a question, that if both Rohach and Richardson were fully healthy do you think Rohach would be our starting quarterback right now? Care to answer?

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
It sounded like he was asking a question, that if both Rohach and Richardson were fully healthy do you think Rohach would be our starting quarterback right now? Care to answer?

Actually you must not have read the progression of posts. In fact I did answer his question by informing him that he didn't get my point right when he said, "so is this what you're saying....?" But I'll indulge you since I think I know the question you're referring to. I do think a healthy SR gives us a better chance to win at this point. But, that is absolutely the key, remaining 'HEALTHY'. He can't remain healthy. He will always take a beating. His build is pretty slight. He can add muscle, but not much. For SR to be effective, he has to use his legs in proportion to, if not more, than he uses his arm. He's not all of a sudden become mr. Durable. Grant has a higher ceiling in terms of passing from the pocket. Given they both have time to go through their progressions, GR has more zip on the ball and he is more accurate. Obviously this can all be argued. In fact you and I are on about round 3 of this same debate. I just spend a lot less time and effort trying to persuade people to see it my way than you, or Judoka, or DuckDynasty to a lesser degree.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I can pretty much guarantee, because of the lack of a bowl option this year, Rhoads opted for Rohach to get him some time in before next season. No reason to risk Sam's health anymore this year. Everyone is far too touchy in here. Who cares if Rohach is the starter next season, I just want to win. If you want to fix the QB problem, can Messingham.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Perhaps saying he wants SR to transfer is a bit of hyperbole, but I can't justify the way he's managed the position the last 3 years. It doesn't make sense and I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on any of these decisions. What has still not been explained to me is why he would say GR is the #1 guy going into next year, albeit with an open competition. What is gained by that? What positive effect could that possibly have on SR, or GR for that matter? In the past 4 years we've not had a starter named at the end of Spring ball on a few occasions. I don't think anyone would have been surprised to hear him say "I'm not going to talk about next year."

Again, he says these things for a reason. He doesn't have to tell the media who will get the first snap in Spring ball 5 months out, he chose to. I just can't figure out the reason he chose to do it, that's all.

Perhaps SR will need surgery after the season to fix his thumb... and CPR knows he won't be ready for spring ball.

There is no way that SR would get the surgery during the season as he is the only other non-redshirting QB other than GR. Rhoads can't come right out and tell us SR needs surgery because then every team on the schedule would know he can't throw the ball more than 8 yards (which seems pretty obvious at this point anyway).

Just a thought anyway.... I bet we hear more about this and a better explanation after the WVU game personally.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Actually you must not have read the progression of posts. In fact I did answer his question by informing him that he didn't get my point right when he said, "so is this what you're saying....?" But I'll indulge you since I think I know the question you're referring to. I do think a healthy SR gives us a better chance to win at this point. But, that is absolutely the key, remaining 'HEALTHY'. He can't remain healthy. He will always take a beating. His build is pretty slight. He can add muscle, but not much. For SR to be effective, he has to use his legs in proportion to, if not more, than he uses his arm. He's not all of a sudden become mr. Durable. Grant has a higher ceiling in terms of passing from the pocket. Given they both have time to go through their progressions, GR has more zip on the ball and he is more accurate. Obviously this can all be argued. In fact you and I are on about round 3 of this same debate. I just spend a lot less time and effort trying to persuade people to see it my way than you, or Judoka, or DuckDynasty to a lesser degree.

BS. The Coaching Staff said at the beginning of the year that the Zone Read was an integral and important part of our offense. They ran the Zone Read and Sam got the hell beat out of him. He was injured and was still being played because the coaching staff deemed an injured Sam was better than a healthy Rohach. And STILL we ran the Zone Read. Eventually Rohach is inserted into the lineup and we abandon the Zone Read, which is such a vital and integral part of our offense. WTF is up with that? It is complete nonsense that they ran that Zone Read and beat the hell out of SR. Especially now that they just drop it.

GR is NOT more accurate. His ball does have more velocity. Other than the last game, Kansas on a terribly icy field with bad footing, GR has not played particularly well. GR has MORE interceptions than TD's. Has shown a propensity to fumble more than Sam and can not run very well. So pardon me that I don't buy into the higher ceiling argument just yet because I have not seen it so far. The WVU game will provide a lot of answers. A not so good team but at their place.

I have seen this type of hype before. Jevohn Miller was supposed to be the next Jake Knott. Well I saw the UNI game and it was not good. Miller has improved since Luke Knott went down. But he is not another Jake Knott. I am more enthused about walk-on Levi Peters than Jevohn. And I don't mean to belittle Miller's effort. IMO, he is trying hard and has improved his play.

Getting kind of tired of this SR is not durable and can't stay healthy crap. Run Rohach on the Zone Read and let's see how durable he is. After all, the Zone Read is supposed to be a vital part of our offense, so why have we abandoned it?

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
I'm a fan of Sam. He is a great improv runner and has a gamer/leader vibe. I can see though why the coaches would lean towards Rohach unless Sam improves as a passer. Rohach has more zip on his ball and although not successful this year they probably think his skills will provide more consistent production. Sam rarely seemed to throw on time, instead of challenging the coverage he'd tuck and try to create with his feet. Often times when a blitz was coming our inside wr would run a basic 3 route and Sam just didnt seem to trust that he could get it out there before the db closed. I think he's capable but he just really plays it very safe which is very limiting for an offense. His throw to bundrage vs texas for the long td is an example of throws into tight spaces that are necessary on every possession. Lazard, montgomery and bibbs are big bodies not burners. They are targets that need opportunities even when the coverage is there. Teams like iowa were just giving us deep (8 yd) outs and we don't take it. Sam doesn't seem comfortable pulling the trigger in those situations. If you can't take advantage of man on the outside with those routes you need to stress them down the field. Our guys would get behind coverage down the sideline and Sam was very inaccurate with those throws.

Again, I like Sam but people need to acknowledge the trickle down effect of those limitations instead of just bashing coaches.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'm a fan of Sam. He is a great improv runner and has a gamer/leader vibe. I can see though why the coaches would lean towards Rohach unless Sam improves as a passer. Rohach has more zip on his ball and although not successful this year they probably think his skills will provide more consistent production. Sam rarely seemed to throw on time, instead of challenging the coverage he'd tuck and try to create with his feet. Often times when a blitz was coming our inside wr would run a basic 3 route and Sam just didnt seem to trust that he could get it out there before the db closed. I think he's capable but he just really plays it very safe which is very limiting for an offense. His throw to bundrage vs texas for the long td is an example of throws into tight spaces that are necessary on every possession. Lazard, montgomery and bibbs are big bodies not burners. They are targets that need opportunities even when the coverage is there. Teams like iowa were just giving us deep (8 yd) outs and we don't take it. Sam doesn't seem comfortable pulling the trigger in those situations. If you can't take advantage of man on the outside with those routes you need to stress them down the field. Our guys would get behind coverage down the sideline and Sam was very inaccurate with those throws.

Again, I like Sam but people need to acknowledge the trickle down effect of those limitations instead of just bashing coaches.

And in the games preceding the Kansas game you saw Rohach doing all those things that you say Sam can't?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Perhaps SR will need surgery after the season to fix his thumb... and CPR knows he won't be ready for spring ball.

There is no way that SR would get the surgery during the season as he is the only other non-redshirting QB other than GR. Rhoads can't come right out and tell us SR needs surgery because then every team on the schedule would know he can't throw the ball more than 8 yards (which seems pretty obvious at this point anyway).

Just a thought anyway.... I bet we hear more about this and a better explanation after the WVU game personally.

That's a perfectly reasonable assumption for what is actually going on, in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is right on the money as far as what is up with Sam's thumb and that he needs surgery but is waiting until after the season.

But it still doesn't explain the kind of statements that Rhoads made on Monday. Why even make it?

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
BS. The Coaching Staff said at the beginning of the year that the Zone Read was an integral and important part of our offense. They ran the Zone Read and Sam got the hell beat out of him. He was injured and was still being played because the coaching staff deemed an injured Sam was better than a healthy Rohach. And STILL we ran the Zone Read. Eventually Rohach is inserted into the lineup and we abandon the Zone Read, which is such a vital and integral part of our offense. WTF is up with that? It is complete nonsense that they ran that Zone Read and beat the hell out of SR. Especially now that they just drop it.

GR is NOT more accurate. His ball does have more velocity. Other than the last game, Kansas on a terribly icy field with bad footing, GR has not played particularly well. GR has MORE interceptions than TD's. Has shown a propensity to fumble more than Sam and can not run very well. So pardon me that I don't buy into the higher ceiling argument just yet because I have not seen it so far. The WVU game will provide a lot of answers. A not so good team but at their place.

I have seen this type of hype before. Jevohn Miller was supposed to be the next Jake Knott. Well I saw the UNI game and it was not good. Miller has improved since Luke Knott went down. But he is not another Jake Knott. I am more enthused about walk-on Levi Peters than Jevohn. And I don't mean to belittle Miller's effort. IMO, he is trying hard and has improved his play.

Getting kind of tired of this SR is not durable and can't stay healthy crap. Run Rohach on the Zone Read and let's see how durable he is. After all, the Zone Read is supposed to be a vital part of our offense, so why have we abandoned it?

Probably because we can't keep a healthy QB while utilizing it. Don't know wtf you're talking about when you mention hype. I know tone is hard to detect in regards to the written word, but if you think I exude hype while talking about GR, then I gotta say I give up. Uncle! All I said was that he is more accurate, which I believe, regardless of how many times you tell me otherwise, and I said that his ceiling is higher as a pocket passer, which I also am convinced of. Now on the other hand, you are wayyy too impassioned about this. Don't believe me, count your posts that relate to this very debate and it is the epitome of redundancy. So let me get this straight, you said that you're, "getting tired of all the SR is not durable and can't stay healthy crap". Are you suggesting that he IS durable and that he IS healthy?