Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I could see Richardson playing a vital role against WV. Not playing him against KU in a blowout sets him up to be a surprise contributor in Morgantown.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Rohach has much bigger upside, can make all the throws. It's a no brainer unless he turns into a turnover machine

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I wonder if Richardson will transfer. Rhoads just gave me a bunch of buzzkill there when he said that. Run a guy into the dirt and then toss him aside.

He should not say this until he knows who the OC is going to be. If Mess is back, then he can say whatever he wants as the offense will be horrible anyway...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Same here. Would be interested to see a poll on this.
Doesn't matter what the fans think.

But I just despise our offensive staff for doing a pathetic job of player development - notably at the QB position.

I just hope the offseason includes a revamp of the staff and player development can come close to what we're witnessing in MBB.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
This sucks, Richardson had literally no shot to be successful at all in the beginning and got injured for it. Similar to Bret Meyer's last two years, had the talent to succeed but was running for his life the minute he got the snap.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It would be foolish for SR to transfer, unless he feels he slid down to #3 on the depth chart. That being said, I always thought SR was #1..

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It would be foolish for SR to transfer, unless he feels he slid down to #3 on the depth chart. That being said, I always thought SR was #1..

If you were Richardson, would you believe that this coaching staff is going to give you a fair shot at the starting spot?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I don't care who starts, as long as they produce.

That said, to me it looked like Richardson has been better than Rohach throughout the season. Richardson has gotten worse because of injury and his reduced running threat has hindered him, but he has way more upside.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I wonder if Richardson will transfer. Rhoads just gave me a bunch of buzzkill there when he said that. Run a guy into the dirt and then toss him aside.

This is what ran through my mind. I don't want to see it, but wouldn't blame him at all. It's just crazy how our QB position has been mishandled. I've been sitting here thinking that I can't wait to see a healthy Sam in 2014, because he's clearly better. I'm glad for the experience Rohach has gotten, but he's not as good as Sam is when he's healthy. This is all very strange.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Rohach has much bigger upside, can make all the throws. It's a no brainer unless he turns into a turnover machine

I tentatively agree but he turns the ball over in bunches with all the interceptions and throwing into coverage. I hope he can improve. A lot.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The coaches still clearly recognize the ability of Richardson to run. I look for him to play quite a lot against WV.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
If you were Richardson, would you believe that this coaching staff is going to give you a fair shot at the starting spot?

Here's how it will go if Mess is still around. Rohach will start the season at #1. After the first few games, he and Richardson will split time. Either Lanning or Hodge will start the Kansas game and will be named #1 going into the spring.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I know this is a message board, and so half-sentences and out-of-context quotes are what keeps threads going, but could the OP or someone who listened try to "quote" and or "paraphrase" what was actually said, for the rest of us who are just logging on over lunch, and in between SEZ threads?

(fwiw, I vote Richardson as well.)

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Where would Sam transfer to and why? Unless Lanning, Hodge or somebody is really pushing to be the starter it is going to be a competition between Rohach and SR. So even if he doesn't manage to beat out GR, he would be one snap away from playing QB for us.

Because the staff has continually mishandled their QBs. Poor coaching, constantly switching QBs (sometimes mid-drive), awful play-calling, etc.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know this is a message board, and so half-sentences and out-of-context quotes are what keeps threads going, but could the OP or someone who listened try to "quote" and or "paraphrase" what was actually said, for the rest of us who are just logging on over lunch, and in between SEZ threads?

(fwiw, I vote Richardson as well.)

Someone did. Grant is taking the first snap in spring. Competition ensues from there.