Referees: Hand Checking emphasis

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
How much of a problem do you expect the new hand checking rules to have on college basketball this season? Already fouls are being called at an incredible pace.

From this yahoo article, it seems we might be in for a foul plagued season.

Y! SPORTS

"Seton Hall's 83-72 victory over Niagara lasted about 2 1/2 hours and produced an astonishing 73 personal fouls and 102 free throw attempts, both more than any game last season in either regulation or overtime."

Not going to make college basketball watchable if 73 fouls are going to be called.

"Referees have called an average of 42.29 personal fouls per game this season through Sunday night, about seven more per game than last season. About 19.5 percent of games have featured 50 or more personal fouls and seven have produced 60 or more, numbers that suggest the new rules have been enforced with particular zeal a handful of times by certain crews."

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Seems to be an easy answer: Quit hand-checking.

In all seriousness, teams will learn what they can and can't do. There will be more fouls called in November and December, but I have a feeling once conference play rolls around, everyone will know what the rules are and foul totals will digress down to "normal" levels. Teams are going to play a lot more zone to compensate.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Fred has got to be licking his chops a bit at the thought of teams playing more zone against us

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
It looks like six guys fouled out in that game. SIX! And there were six more with 4 fouls. That's ridiculous

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Seems like it will benefit offensive teams. I like our chances against a team like Kansas if they cant hand check

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

In all seriousness, teams will learn what they can and can't do. There will be more fouls called in November and December, but I have a feeling once conference play rolls around, everyone will know what the rules are and foul totals will digress down to "normal" levels. Teams are going to play a lot more zone to compensate.

I completely agree. I've been really turned off by the amount of hand checking in college basketball the last few years. Every time a guy would drive into the lane, the defender would "hand-check" him (more like an outright shove) to stop him from going into the paint. It was ridiculous the amount of force that players were allowed to use to stop drives. I'm hoping the flow of the game will return this year finally.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

See I am the opposite, my easy answer is let them hand check. I like some physicality in basketball.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

This. You will see two types of teams this year. Those that are going to continue business as usual in hopes that the refs don't have the stomach to keep calling all these fouls and those that choose to adapt immediately and emphasize playing d without the hands. Seems like CFH will be in the latter category.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
How much of a problem do you expect the new hand checking rules to have on college basketball this season? Already fouls are being called at an incredible pace.

From this yahoo article, it seems we might be in for a foul plagued season.

Y! SPORTS

"Seton Hall's 83-72 victory over Niagara lasted about 2 1/2 hours and produced an astonishing 73 personal fouls and 102 free throw attempts, both more than any game last season in either regulation or overtime."

Not going to make college basketball watchable if 73 fouls are going to be called.

"Referees have called an average of 42.29 personal fouls per game this season through Sunday night, about seven more per game than last season. About 19.5 percent of games have featured 50 or more personal fouls and seven have produced 60 or more, numbers that suggest the new rules have been enforced with particular zeal a handful of times by certain crews."
If teams combine for 70 fouls in a game then both of those coaches need to take some practice time and dedicate it to teaching their players to move their feet. The rules are a great move for CBB, and the only teams that will truly struggle with them are teams that refuse to play straight up and continue to hack ballhandlers.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think they had to clean up some of the hand checking but I think that could have been done by just calling it closer and not making new rules. It seems as if some I the refs early think any touch is a foul and have not even been letting contact in the post.
The refs have been very uneven so far.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think they had to clean up some of the hand checking but I think that could have been done by just calling it closer and not making new rules. It seems as if some I the refs early think any touch is a foul and have not even been letting contact in the post.
The refs have been very uneven so far.

The new rules are how I was taught to play basketball in the first place. It was the intent of the rules before but the interpretation had gone a long way away from the intent. The only way to really get it back to the intent was to change the language of the rules so the interpretation that has grown in the last couple of decades is gone with the old language.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
One thing is for certain, your team better have good free throw shooters. Hopefully Fred has been doing a lot of free throw drills along with everything else.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One thing is for certain, your team better have good free throw shooters. Hopefully Fred has been doing a lot of free throw drills along with everything else.

Seeing someone who shot 52% last year look almost automatic in two games (one that counts) makes me hopeful.

Keep concentrating and hitting them, DeAndre!

Help Support Us

Become a patron