Quotes from Saturday

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
True - just don't see it happening.

We are 1-7 and I dont see a win the rest of the season. Someone has to be fired for that in today's world. There has to be a fall guy if isnt the coach.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
At the end of the day you cannot replace the players, so the only other option is the coaches. Coaches are responsible for making sure players execute and are in positions to win.

You gotta at least show a threat of stretching the field. If all you ever throw are bubble screens, and 3 yard outs, you make the defenses job pretty easy.

We do miss Wimberly, he is a threat to take it all the way. Up until he got hurt we did manage to score some points. Kind of sad when 1 guy has such a big impact, but that sure seems to be the case

Last edited:

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
When you are 1-7, a lot of people are doing a horrible job on that staff. I know these players are not that much worse than anyone at Tech, K-State, UNI, Iowa that they just get absolutely dominated every game. We went toe to toe with Texas talent wise, so yeah I really think a lot of this is coaching. Rhoads has shown no progress in 1.5 years as a head coach. Frankly, I'm going into next season with the expectation that everyone will want him gone. He sucks, his upsets are just fluke wins.

Nebraska wasn't even that good when we beat them, that Texas team was one of Texas's worst teams in the last 20 years, TCU ended up being mediocre last year, Oklahoma state was huge but I guarantee they beat us 19/20 times on the field.

I'm sick of the excuses Rhoads. Fire somebody who isn't doing their job right, assistants, coordinators, I dont care. Clean house if you have too and hire capable people. Even if that means another 4-5 win season next year I wouldnt mind because it shows you give a crap about this program and making it right and that you aren't some contempt cash cow piece of crap.

/end rant

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks the CPR era at ISU is toast?? Five years is more than enough to show what you and your team can do, isn't it?

One season does not make or break a coach, and down seasons happen. Even Bill Snyder had down years when he was bringing K State up. In fact, I think his last season he only won 4 games. What will make or break Rhoads is how he responds to this season and gets things fixed.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
When you are 1-7, a lot of people are doing a horrible job on that staff. I know these players are not that much worse than anyone at Tech, K-State, UNI, Iowa that they just get absolutely dominated every game. We went toe to toe with Texas talent wise, so yeah I really think a lot of this is coaching. Rhoads has shown no progress in 1.5 years as a head coach. Frankly, I'm going into next season with the expectation that everyone will want him gone. He sucks, his upsets are just fluke wins.

Nebraska wasn't even that good when we beat them, that Texas team was one of Texas's worst teams in the last 20 years, TCU ended up being mediocre last year, Oklahoma state was huge but I guarantee they beat us 19/20 times on the field.

I'm sick of the excuses Rhoads. Fire somebody who isn't doing their job right, assistants, coordinators, I dont care. Clean house if you have too and hire capable people. Even if that means another 4-5 win season next year I wouldnt mind because it shows you give a crap about this program and making it right and that you aren't some contempt cash cow piece of crap.

/end rant

Keep in mind that he did try and change the offense over the off season by brining in Klenakis to help install the Pistol. You don't bring in someone like that if you have complete confidence in where the offense is at. He knows there needs to be a change on offense, but he is not going to say something to media half way through the season.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
One season does not make or break a coach, and down seasons happen. Even Bill Snyder had down years when he was bringing K State up. In fact, I think his last season he only won 4 games. What will make or break Rhoads is how he responds to this season and gets things fixed.

PR is secure in his job but let's be honest; this isn't a down year. This is a ****ing disaster. We're going 1-11 and each loss is worse than the last one. Ben Bruns called this ISU offense the worst he's ever seen.

Does anyone NOT think KU ends their conference losing streak on Nov. 23rd in Ames?

Reactions: JBone84

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Doesnt mean Messingham cant have a reduced role as some other assistant. Rhoads is going to lose the fanbase if he does not reassign at the least Courtney Messingham plain and simple. I dont know any Cyclone fans whose blood wasnt boiling on Saturday. My mom knows very little about the actual intricacies of football and even she thinks a change is needed.

Hi I am Curt, my blood wasn't boiling on Saturday.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
PR is secure in his job but let's be honest; this isn't a down year. This is a ****ing disaster. We're going 1-11 and each loss is worse than the last one. Ben Bruns called this ISU offense the worst he's ever seen.

Does anyone NOT think KU ends their conference losing streak on Nov. 23rd in Ames?

To be fair, that 4 win season for Snyder was coming off 11 win seasons and Fiesta bowl appearances. It was no doubt seen as a ******* disaster also.

I'm down right now too, but let's give the players on this team a chance to take a little prid back with them this season, 3/4 games are winnable from a talent perspective, let's see if they can get it together.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
All you're doing is convincing me that PR also mismanages his coaching staff. He already had two former OC's on staff (Mess and Sturdy) and they had some strange split responsibilities (Mess as OC; Sturdy as passing coordinator). How was it going to be a good thing to bring in a THIRD former OC to help install another complication to an already unworkable offense?

Maybe its just as confusing to be coach under PR as it is to be a quarterback.

Keep in mind that he did try and change the offense over the off season by brining in Klenakis to help install the Pistol. You don't bring in someone like that if you have complete confidence in where the offense is at. He knows there needs to be a change on offense, but he is not going to say something to media half way through the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyDude16

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Nealy says we knew exactly what they were going to run on D but we couldn't do anything offensively.

So messingham and the offensive staff either couldn't come up with a plan against it, or our players just arent seasoned enough to execute the gameplan. Rhoads says #2.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
To be fair, that 4 win season for Snyder was coming off 11 win seasons and Fiesta bowl appearances. It was no doubt seen as a ******* disaster also.

I'm down right now too, but let's give the players on this team a chance to take a little prid back with them this season, 3/4 games are winnable from a talent perspective, let's see if they can get it together.

This isn't on the players. I know they have pride and it burns me that this coaching staff can't/won't get more out of the talent that exists on this roster. They sure do blame the players for poor execution a lot though. Remind me, who trains the players on how to execute?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

All of our games have been winnable from a talent perspective. What's that say about the coaching?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That is a good point. I think people forget that to these players, there are MANY more moving parts than just one guy and they see what's happening in meeting rooms, practice, etc. One player I talked to about a month ago said, "I heard people are mad at Mess?" And he also went on to say how Mess recruited a lot of these guys.

Is it the play calling? Is it the player execution? Is it player development? For all we know, Mess could be putting in extra hours with film study and QB reads we don't know about, but if that isn't executed is that his fault? I'm not defending anyone here, just acknowledging lots of stuff happening to consider.

JP and Rhoads though do need to consider it all as they go into the off season. If the pulse of the fan base is frustration/anger/uneasy, sometimes changes happen to help the fan base, etc.

When teams score only a touchdown a game and the last one being from a recovered fumble from the ten, you have major offensive problems.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks the CPR era at ISU is toast?? Five years is more than enough to show what you and your team can do, isn't it?

After posting this 20 different ways on 20 threads you would think that you would have your answer. Give it a rest.

Help Support Us

Become a patron