Quotes from Saturday

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Iowa State Head Coach and Player Quotes

Iowa State Head Coach Paul Rhoads
On Iowa State’s biggest problem…
“Did not execute, for the course of our drives as an offense, and as you continue not to score and get into a trailing mode, we obviously do not have the offensive weaponry to come from behind and reel off touchdowns. We went down the field, best we had all season on an opening drive and jumped off sides, it killed the drive. Started another drive, got another penalty, and too many mistakes like that we do not have the consistency, the playmakers, the experience to overcome it. So with that slow start, it puts us in a catch up mode and we do not play very well.â€￾

On the quarterback change…
“Zero points and no finished drives. “

On the offensive play…
“Still too many missed decisions, too many plays left out there, not enough production in leadership of the offensive football team to get us into the end zone.â€￾

On the low production of wide receiver Quenton Bundrage…
“Certainly he has become obvious to people that he is our playmaker, so you are getting coverage’s designed to double him. We need to do a better job with that knowledge, with witnessing what they are doing, and still find him ways to get him the ball.â€￾

On keeping the team motivated…
“I think our program keeps them motivated, and it is certainly one of the things I spoke of after the game. I am anxious to get to tomorrow, I am anxious to teach and help our football players become better and elevate the play of the team. We have got four more opportunities. That is four more weeks to become better, that is four more weeks to win some football games and make the best of what this season is. Whatever that is whether you have ten wins or if you are two and ten, it propels you into 2014.â€￾

On needing momentum heading into next season…
“How we finish up the next four games does not break the 2014 season. It will not have a ‘be all effect’ of the eight months leading up to play next season in August. Everybody likes doing things in life with a better attitude and certainly we can do that with better play.â€￾

Running Back DeVondrick Nealy
On what was going wrong with the offense…
“Mis- execution, we did not do the thing that we came in, we did not fulfill the game plan from the get go. Things just kind of went bad for us tonight. We just kept turning the ball over.â€￾

On his touchdown…
“That was one of the main plays that we practiced this week, we did not run it as much as we thought we were going to run it. It was one of those unfortunate things that we did not get to do a lot during the game.â€￾

On what is the team’s motivation, since they are now not bowl- eligible…
“Pride. We have a lot of guys on the team that have big hearts and really care about the rest of the season even though we are not going to a bowl game. We just cannot keep looking that bad, and keep losing back to back games.â€￾

On the energy in the locker room after the game…
“Everybody is down. Everybody is sad. They really wanted this game. It was going to determine whether we went to a bowl game. But, we did not come out successful. “

On if the Kansas State defense surprised you at all…
“They did exactly what we thought they were going to do, no surprises at all. We just did not execute on the things that we should have capitalized on. “

Iowa State Senior Linebacker Jeremiah George
On what can be learned from the game…
“From a leadership standpoint it is just the fact that I try to show my teammates you can count on me every single game. To the young guys, I want them to know we are never down and out, no matter what our record or what the score may be. Every day you put on that uniform, everyday you go to practice - you have to still work hard. Harder than your opponent.â€￾

Toughest thing to stop on K-State’s offense…
“They did a great job just setting up their blocks. Besides that they just had more explosive plays that we can’t allow to win the game, especially in the first half. They had a lot of great plays on first and second down that we could not stop.â€￾

On being eliminated from bowl eligibility…
“What are we going to do, lay down and die? No we are going to go out there and show everyone what we are really capable of. Honestly in my opinion we are not as bad as our record indicates. I feel like a game here and there, we could have two or three more wins.â€￾

Freshman Quarterback Grant Rohach
On the problems with the offense…
“We haven’t gotten into the groove. We need to buy some time and everybody is making their own mistakes. We aren’t getting balls when they are right in front of us and are not converting on the third down .â€￾

On what the offense has done right…
“Well, after looking at today, not a lot. In my time, after watching plays on film I thought there were a few plays that we ran pretty well, such as on the touchdown, obviously. As of right now, nothing really looked good out there.â€￾

On momentum going into next season…
“I think we do need some momentum going into next season but it is hard to think that far ahead. I’m just thinking to next week and our next opponent and trying to win that game. I think we need big plays, which is apparent to anybody who watches. We lack big plays and from the quarterback position, from myself especially, for not making those big plays that are right in front of us.â€￾

On team injuries…
“It is tough to see a lineman go down like that. Those are obviously very important guys but I have full faith in the guys that are back there and about to come in and play defense as well as a starter would.â€￾

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Maybe the morale of the fanbase would be down but from everything I have seen and heard the team doesn't have a problem with Mess.

This O has been terrible for 4 years and truly pathetic this one. That is more than an "execution" problem.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Iowa State Head Coach and Player Quotes

Iowa State Head Coach Paul Rhoads
On Iowa State’s biggest problem…
“Did not execute, for the course of our drives as an offense, and as you continue not to score and get into a trailing mode, we obviously do not have the offensive weaponry to come from behind and reel off touchdowns. We went down the field, best we had all season on an opening drive and jumped off sides, it killed the drive. Started another drive, got another penalty, and too many mistakes like that we do not have the consistency, the playmakers, the experience to overcome it. So with that slow start, it puts us in a catch up mode and we do not play very well.â€

On the quarterback change…
“Zero points and no finished drives. “

On the offensive play…
“Still too many missed decisions, too many plays left out there, not enough production in leadership of the offensive football team to get us into the end zone.â€

On the low production of wide receiver Quenton Bundrage…
“Certainly he has become obvious to people that he is our playmaker, so you are getting coverage’s designed to double him. We need to do a better job with that knowledge, with witnessing what they are doing, and still find him ways to get him the ball.â€

On keeping the team motivated…
“I think our program keeps them motivated, and it is certainly one of the things I spoke of after the game. I am anxious to get to tomorrow, I am anxious to teach and help our football players become better and elevate the play of the team. We have got four more opportunities. That is four more weeks to become better, that is four more weeks to win some football games and make the best of what this season is. Whatever that is whether you have ten wins or if you are two and ten, it propels you into 2014.â€

On needing momentum heading into next season…
“How we finish up the next four games does not break the 2014 season. It will not have a ‘be all effect’ of the eight months leading up to play next season in August. Everybody likes doing things in life with a better attitude and certainly we can do that with better play.â€

Running Back DeVondrick Nealy
On what was going wrong with the offense…
“Mis- execution, we did not do the thing that we came in, we did not fulfill the game plan from the get go. Things just kind of went bad for us tonight. We just kept turning the ball over.â€

On his touchdown…
“That was one of the main plays that we practiced this week, we did not run it as much as we thought we were going to run it. It was one of those unfortunate things that we did not get to do a lot during the game.â€

On what is the team’s motivation, since they are now not bowl- eligible…
“Pride. We have a lot of guys on the team that have big hearts and really care about the rest of the season even though we are not going to a bowl game. We just cannot keep looking that bad, and keep losing back to back games.â€

On the energy in the locker room after the game…
“Everybody is down. Everybody is sad. They really wanted this game. It was going to determine whether we went to a bowl game. But, we did not come out successful. “

On if the Kansas State defense surprised you at all…
“They did exactly what we thought they were going to do, no surprises at all. We just did not execute on the things that we should have capitalized on. “

Iowa State Senior Linebacker Jeremiah George
On what can be learned from the game…
“From a leadership standpoint it is just the fact that I try to show my teammates you can count on me every single game. To the young guys, I want them to know we are never down and out, no matter what our record or what the score may be. Every day you put on that uniform, everyday you go to practice - you have to still work hard. Harder than your opponent.â€

Toughest thing to stop on K-State’s offense…
“They did a great job just setting up their blocks. Besides that they just had more explosive plays that we can’t allow to win the game, especially in the first half. They had a lot of great plays on first and second down that we could not stop.â€

On being eliminated from bowl eligibility…
“What are we going to do, lay down and die? No we are going to go out there and show everyone what we are really capable of. Honestly in my opinion we are not as bad as our record indicates. I feel like a game here and there, we could have two or three more wins.â€

Freshman Quarterback Grant Rohach
On the problems with the offense…
“We haven’t gotten into the groove. We need to buy some time and everybody is making their own mistakes. We aren’t getting balls when they are right in front of us and are not converting on the third down .â€

On what the offense has done right…
“Well, after looking at today, not a lot. In my time, after watching plays on film I thought there were a few plays that we ran pretty well, such as on the touchdown, obviously. As of right now, nothing really looked good out there.â€

On momentum going into next season…
“I think we do need some momentum going into next season but it is hard to think that far ahead. I’m just thinking to next week and our next opponent and trying to win that game. I think we need big plays, which is apparent to anybody who watches. We lack big plays and from the quarterback position, from myself especially, for not making those big plays that are right in front of us.â€

On team injuries…
“It is tough to see a lineman go down like that. Those are obviously very important guys but I have full faith in the guys that are back there and about to come in and play defense as well as a starter would.â€

In Summary Paul and the players told us what is pretty plain to see and what we already knew.

There are plenty of things to fix.

No magic wand to fix everything by Saturday but would like to see something as a sign of progress.

Program will go through a complete evaluation during the offseason. Time right now to focus on getting the win against TCU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The offense would not cut it in the MAC or, for that matter, MVC.

Mess will be back with more buses to throw people under.

We are just so sloppy. As time goes on, we make more mistakes/misplays than the other team. Is this the player's fault, the way we practice, or lack of focus, poor coaching or what?

Our pass interference calls and motion penalties kill off what crappy offense we do mount.

The lone fieldgoal attempt looked bad.

The refs have been easy on us lately, but it makes no difference.

The receiver corps is beginning to look like Lost in Space.

The Special Teams unit is by far the best part of the team. Does this mean we have some buried talent or is this our best coach?

Injuries remain part of the bargain. Must. Deal. With. It.

Time for more trick plays.

The defense needs to intercept more passes at the point of the catch. Be. More. Physical.

A token touchdown a game is getting old fast.

Still waiting for two running backs run the plays from scrimmage and remove the qb.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The Mess will be back next season.

I didnt get that from that message, in fact Rhoads said “Still too many missed decisions, too many plays left out there, not enough production in leadership of the offensive football team to get us into the end zone.”

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I didnt get that from that message, in fact Rhoads said “Still too many missed decisions, too many plays left out there, not enough production in leadership of the offensive football team to get us into the end zone.”

Agreed. That seemed like a pretty pointed comment about his frustrations with the offense as a whole. The comment about leadership on offense is a direct statement about all offensive assistants IMO. It doesn't do him any good to call any of the assistants out in public but that is about as close as you can get.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks the CPR era at ISU is toast?? Five years is more than enough to show what you and your team can do, isn't it?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Am I the only one that thinks the CPR era at ISU is toast?? Five years is more than enough to show what you and your team can do, isn't it?

Yes you are in the minority. Most here expect staff changes this offseason, and give Rhoads another season or two before writing him off.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This O has been terrible for 4 years and truly pathetic this one. That is more than an "execution" problem.

And of those 4 years Mess has only been the OC for 2, the prior 2 years are on the guy currently lighting up the scoreboards at OSU.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The consistent lack of execution on offense is really more damning to the offensive coaching staff than the play calling, in my opinion. The players know they need to execute but teaching and drilling the details really comes down to coaching.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Maybe the morale of the fanbase would be down but from everything I have seen and heard the team doesn't have a problem with Mess.

That is a good point. I think people forget that to these players, there are MANY more moving parts than just one guy and they see what's happening in meeting rooms, practice, etc. One player I talked to about a month ago said, "I heard people are mad at Mess?" And he also went on to say how Mess recruited a lot of these guys.

Is it the play calling? Is it the player execution? Is it player development? For all we know, Mess could be putting in extra hours with film study and QB reads we don't know about, but if that isn't executed is that his fault? I'm not defending anyone here, just acknowledging lots of stuff happening to consider.

JP and Rhoads though do need to consider it all as they go into the off season. If the pulse of the fan base is frustration/anger/uneasy, sometimes changes happen to help the fan base, etc.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That is a good point. I think people forget that to these players, there are MANY more moving parts than just one guy and they see what's happening in meeting rooms, practice, etc. One player I talked to about a month ago said, "I heard people are mad at Mess?" And he also went on to say how Mess recruited a lot of these guys.

Is it the play calling? Is it the player execution? Is it player development? For all we know, Mess could be putting in extra hours with film study and QB reads we don't know about, but if that isn't executed is that his fault? I'm not defending anyone here, just acknowledging lots of stuff happening to consider.

JP and Rhoads though do need to consider it all as they go into the off season. If the pulse of the fan base is frustration/anger/uneasy, sometimes changes happen to help the fan base, etc.

This is spot on.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
On his touchdown…
“That was one of the main plays that we practiced this week, we did not run it as much as we thought we were going to run it. It was one of those unfortunate things that we did not get to do a lot during the game.”

So, as HC, what are you going to do to the play caller that DIDN'T STICK TO THE GAME PLAN GOING IN?!!?!?!? TRY IT!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And of those 4 years Mess has only been the OC for 2, the prior 2 years are on the guy currently lighting up the scoreboards at OSU.
CPR said at Rotary earlier this year that Messingham is his most dynamic recruiter, both on the road and with on-campus visits. He isn't leaving,

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
The consistent lack of execution on offense is really more damning to the offensive coaching staff than the play calling, in my opinion. The players know they need to execute but teaching and drilling the details really comes down to coaching.
I agree with this, based on what I've seen the last two games.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale

we CAN see the plays being called, the terrible routes being run, the blocking schemes, etc. And that buck stops at the OC. Own it.

Reactions: JBone84

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
CPR said at Rotary earlier this year that Messingham is his most dynamic recruiter, both on the road and with on-campus visits. He isn't leaving,

Doesnt mean Messingham cant have a reduced role as some other assistant. Rhoads is going to lose the fanbase if he does not reassign at the least Courtney Messingham plain and simple. I dont know any Cyclone fans whose blood wasnt boiling on Saturday. My mom knows very little about the actual intricacies of football and even she thinks a change is needed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron