Our record does not matter this year

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I think you are missing the point. Obviously everyone wants to win. Obviously the players, coaches, admin, and fans are upset with the losses. But this doesn't have the same feel as the past. We used to go on the road against top 25 teams and get SCHLACKED, but it hasn't happened. It sucks like hell, but something is building. Call me a fool, a bad fan, and a ***** *** moral victor, but it is getting better.

2003 vs. Texas. The only good that came out of games like that was when all of our players would get through the game, because you knew ISU was losing by 20+ in games like that.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
I think you are missing the point. Obviously everyone wants to win. Obviously the players, coaches, admin, and fans are upset with the losses. But this doesn't have the same feel as the past. We used to go on the road against top 25 teams and get SCHLACKED, but it hasn't happened. It sucks like hell, but something is building. Call me a fool, a bad fan, and a ***** *** moral victor, but it is getting better.
I'm glad you feel better but feelings have nothing to do with it. What makes you think next year will be any better? Unless Johnny Football is coming to Ames to play QB, there will be no guarantee of improvement.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm glad you feel better but feelings have nothing to do with it. What makes you think next year will be any better? Unless Johnny Football is coming to Ames to play QB, there will be no guarantee of improvement.

What do you want me to do? Call for Paul to be fired? Say Sam is a piece of ****? I see talent on the field. I see mental errors that caused the lose, not a giant deficiency in talent. That is what I see. I don't need a goddamn Johnny ****in' Football. I don't feel good about it. I hate losing. I ******* hate it. I have lost at every level of compition I have played and every sport I have played. What I see from this team is a group of players with talent, but don't know what to do with on a big time level YET.

It would be real easy to jump in with ya'll and **** and moan and ***** about. But what is the ****in' point of that. If you don't think a young team will improve then fire the whole coaching staff now and start anew.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
2003 vs. Texas. The only good that came out of games like that was when all of our players would get through the game, because you knew ISU was losing by 20+ in games like that.

2007 vs Texas. We could count all of the games in the Walden, Mac, and Chizdick years where we got our ***** kicked and didn't get majorly upset about it because we knew that we didn't have the talent. We are close, so close to getting it together. Just have faith. If you don't agree, than fine.

I usually stay away after a lose, I should have today.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
I think I will walk into my bank on Monday and tell them that it does not matter if I only make one or two mortgage payments on time this year, because all of those late payments are just helping me understand how to manage money better so that next year...next year...I will have fewer late payments.

Reactions: nickcyv

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Loss next week. Chance to win four of last six with an additional upset with OSU or OU. That is the most optimistic scenario.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not yet but it's a possibility if the losing keeps happening.

I'm less worried about that than I was a few weeks ago. We aren't getting blown out and are in every game right up to the end. So hopefully recruits are thinking they can be that missing puzzle piece that puts us over the top.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I think I will walk into my bank on Monday and tell them that it does not matter if I only make one or two mortgage payments on time this year, because all of those late payments are just helping me understand how to manage money better so that next year...next year...I will have fewer late payments.

You're right. Comparing a financial situation to a young team makes perfect sense.

**** it. Fire Rhoads.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Relax people. We have a disciplined team. We have a well coached team. We are young, but we do not give up. We beat Texas, we hung with the #20 team on the road, no matter how ugly it was, if Broomy hauls in that onside kick then who knows what could have happened. Nigel Tribune is getting some very valuable PT against some of the best WRs in the Big 12. That will pay off, just watch.

Everything you said is correct.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
You're right. Comparing a financial situation to a young team makes perfect sense.

**** it. Fire Rhoads.

It was a joke.

But seriously, why do people think it takes a whole year for losing close games to have an effect on how well the team plays?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
It was a joke.

But seriously, why do people think it takes a whole year for losing close games to have an effect on how well the team plays?

I don't think it takes a whole year. Today there was bad mental mistakes, bad play calls, and poor execution. I can see this team picking up 3 more wins this year. Is 4-8 what I want? Hell no. But it is improvement we need.

Maybe a ****** example, but Fred's first year. He lost a lot of games, but we didn't look like the **** hole we did under Greggy boy, and the next year we were improved. Everyone knew it would be a tough going, if you didn't than you didn't pay attention to the preseason.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
I don't think it takes a whole year. Today there was bad mental mistakes, bad play calls, and poor execution. I can see this team picking up 3 more wins this year. Is 4-8 what I want? Hell no. But it is improvement we need.

Maybe a ****** example, but Fred's first year. He lost a lot of games, but we didn't look like the **** hole we did under Greggy boy, and the next year we were improved. Everyone knew it would be a tough going, if you didn't than you didn't pay attention to the preseason.

And I am the one comparing apples to oranges? There were 3 players that carried over from Hoiberg's first year, and two of them were freshmen. Not to mention that he was a rookie coach in an entirely different sport.

I think we will improve next year, just like any young team. But I am not convinced that this year's win/loss record has anything to do with it. I think this team would have the same desire to win next year whether they went 0-12 or 12-0.

Unfortunately, I think a good share of our problems are the fault of our coaching staff, and they have a lot fewer excuses than they players do since most of them have been here 4 years already.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
And I am the one comparing apples to oranges? There were 3 players that carried over from Hoiberg's first year, and two of them were freshmen. Not to mention that he was a rookie coach in an entirely different sport.

I think we will improve next year, just like any young team. But I am not convinced that this year's win/loss record has anything to do with it. I think this team would have the same desire to win next year whether they went 0-12 or 12-0.

Unfortunately, I think a good share of our problems are the fault of our coaching staff, and they have a lot fewer excuses than they players do since most of them have been here 4 years already.

Hence why I said it was a shi*ty example. I don't think the win/loss record has anything to with it either. I think it is a young team learning how to win football games. The missed tackles on D that lead to big games has less to do with coaching than it does with players making bad plays. The blame needs passed around, but the fact remains that.....

I think we are both making the same points but taking different paths to get there.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
It blows chunks for us as fans. It hurts like a SOB, but I think this team is slowing building. Maybe I am an idiot and we look like **** next year and until I die. But if my experience as a Cubs fan has taught me anything, if I give up hope, then my life as a fan is dead and gone and I might as well join a bandwagon and cheer for the goddamn Cardinals.

Great! The Cardinals can always use another fan! Come on board and I promise I won't call you a bandwagoner, I'll just call you a fellow fan. Start cheering now in case the Cards make it to another WS! (Up 2-0 now)

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Great! The Cardinals can always use another fan! Come on board and I promise I won't call you a bandwagoner, I'll just call you a fellow fan. Start cheering now in case the Cards make it to another WS! (Up 2-0 now)

I would rather jump in front of a Japanese bullet train

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
2007 vs Texas. We could count all of the games in the Walden, Mac, and Chizdick years where we got our ***** kicked and didn't get majorly upset about it because we knew that we didn't have the talent. We are close, so close to getting it together. Just have faith. If you don't agree, than fine.

I usually stay away after a loss, I should have today.

FIFY

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Relax people. We have a disciplined team. We have a well coached team. We are young, but we do not give up. We beat Texas, we hung with the #20 team on the road, no matter how ugly it was, if Broomy hauls in that onside kick then who knows what could have happened. Nigel Tribune is getting some very valuable PT against some of the best WRs in the Big 12. That will pay off, just watch.

OK, thanks. I feel a lot better knowing our record doesn't matter. Thought that ended once my kids got to middle school.

But as long as Nigel Tribune is getting good reps, this 2-3 win season will be great. Knowing recruits like committing to 2-3 win teams is comforting to me. I thought most good players preferred to go to winning programs.

Reactions: nickcyv