Should Bubu appeal President Leath decision to the BOR?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
yes, he would have already been taken to the woodshed. having this on your transcript however should be avoided if possible.

What would be on his transcript from this?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Clearly, the evidence was not adequate to conclude that the events rose to the level of criminal or an ISU student code violation.
There are two different standards of proof. How does he know what the evidence shows?

CHAKAZULU

Mar 16, 2011
Except his "mistake" was a very big error in judgement.

I'm all for second chances and such, but also for consequences. He will still be able to get a degree.

I get that charges were dropped and that is the legal side of things, but President Leath still has the ability to determine who is representing our university.

There is a convicted felon in the current football team who has been allowed to represent ISU. Bubu was not convicted of any crime(charges were dismissed). Is ISU using double standards please tell me?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it was an error to kick Bubu off the team, especially when the accuser fabricated evidence (the reason the case was dropped). That said... i think at this point its best just to move on.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
We don't know everything, but I do have a problem with the fact that criminal charges were dropped against him in this matter largely because the "victim" falsified evidence and lied, yet the university then decides that somehow Bubu still did something wrong. I just have my doubts that every "representative of the University" has all that clean of a record.

Unless he personally has some reason not to, I think he should appeal. The appeal process is there for a reason.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This is a slippery slope here and we don't have all of the information available to arrive at an informed opinion. Did the alleged victim fabricate evidence? Yes. Is it still possible that a crime took place? Yes. Is it possible that the alleged victim fabricated the evidence to make certain her alleged attackers were not going to get away with this alleged crime? Yes. Was there other evidence that the prosecuting attorney had but didn't feel was strong enough to get a conviction? We don't know. There is so much to this story we don't know it just seems to me that Leath did the responsible thing (maybe he knows more then we do) and protected the University and those associated with it.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Except his "mistake" was a very big error in judgement.

I'm all for second chances and such, but also for consequences. He will still be able to get a degree.

I get that charges were dropped and that is the legal side of things, but President Leath still has the ability to determine who is representing our university.

So what if he made an error in judgment???? The only relevant issue is whether his actions violated criminal laws or the student code of conduct. Nothing else matters. The prosecutor, a position I have held in the past, made a decision that the evidence was not sufficient to constitute a criminal violation. The student board which reviewed the evidence concluded the evidence was insufficient to constitute a student conduct violation. That is the point of the article. I think he should definitely appeal to the Board of Regents.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
We don't know everything, but I do have a problem with the fact that criminal charges were dropped against him in this matter largely because the "victim" falsified evidence and lied, yet the university then decides that somehow Bubu still did something wrong. I just have my doubts that every "representative of the University" has all that clean of a record.

I don't see how the fact that the criminal charges were dropped is particularly relevant here. Leath's decision isn't a matter of law, it's a matter of university policy, and the law and university/AD policy are not synonymous. For example, as far as I know, cheating on a test given in a typical university class is not against the law, but if you are caught cheating, the university can take certain actions against you.

As you said, we don't know what happened, but there may have been things done and stipulated to that violate university/AD policy, and Leath has decided that these actions warrant Palo not being on the MBB team. Leath doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to intentionally antagonize the AD and MBB head coach. In fact, he seems just the opposite.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
This is a slippery slope here and we don't have all of the information available to arrive at an informed opinion. Did the alleged victim fabricate evidence? Yes. Is it still possible that a crime took place? Yes. Is it possible that the alleged victim fabricated the evidence to make certain her alleged attackers were not going to get away with this alleged crime? Yes. Was there other evidence that the prosecuting attorney had but didn't feel was strong enough to get a conviction? We don't know. There is so much to this story we don't know it just seems to me that Leath did the responsible thing (maybe he knows more then we do) and protected the University and those associated with it.

Finally, a voice of reason in this thread. Do the rest of you really think Leath made a flippant decision because he woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day? He is both a trained research scientist and an administrator who rose through the ranks by demonstrating good judgment again and again. I'm sure he carefully reviewed all the available evidence, talked to the university's legal advisors, and considered the outcomes of all possible options. That process is probably why this decision took so long.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps the appeal to the president provided other facts that were not available to the student board???

Highly doubtful. Appeals are based on the facts considered by the lower body from which the appeal is taken. Generally, the standard is that there was no factual basis for supporting the decision that is being appealed.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't see how the fact that the criminal charges were dropped is particularly relevant here. Leath's decision isn't a matter of law, it's a matter of university policy, and the law and university/AD policy are not synonymous. For example, as far as I know, cheating on a test given in a typical university class is not against the law, but if you are caught cheating, the university can take certain actions against you.

As you said, we don't know what happened, but there may have been things done and stipulated to that violate university/AD policy, and Leath has decided that these actions warrant Palo not being on the MBB team. Leath doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to intentionally antagonize the AD and MBB head coach. In fact, he seems just the opposite.

IMO its not just that they were dropped, but that they were dropped because the accuser fabricated evidence.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
He should have never put himself in the situation. As a student athlete and a representative of the university in the public eye, whether guilty or not, is bad publicity. Add into how he acted throughout his suspension, I have no sympathy for him. A student athlete on scholarship are held to same standards as students on scholarship, broke rules in place within the student code, it was his stupid decision to put himself in that situation. Everyone should just move on.

It is posts like this that are embarrassing to the university with complete fabrications disguised as facts.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Big deal. You know how many college kids make the "mistake" of having relations with a drunk girl who has a bf every weekend.

Yes he should appeal.

As far as what Bubu does with the appeal, I could really care less. He made his bed and needs to sleep in it and suffer the consequences of his actions.

This kind of attitude is what lead Bubu in trouble in the first place. Just because it goes on does not make it acceptable. I am sure you would feel a little bit different if it was your daughter who Bubu and his cohort took to an abandoned house. Yes the girl also put herself into a situation but it does not excuse Bubu from being judged or criticized.

Bubu could have been a man and walked away or stopped the situation from happening. Definitely the choice I would expect from my son vs. stating "Big Deal".

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
If the question is - should Bubu appeal? Heck yeah if appealing is an option. Why wouldn't he? He doesn't have much to lose at this point.

If the question is - do I want Bubu to appeal? Then meh. I'm honestly getting tired of my 6 year old asking me to explain sexual harassment every time the news mentions what used to be his favorite player.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
As a 22 year old male I find it patronizing to categorize serious sexual assault allegations as a "mistake by a kid" or anything of the sort. We know what we should be doing.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
IMO its not just that they were dropped, but that they were dropped because the accuser fabricated evidence.

The only way this could possibly matter in the least is if Leath made his decision because he believes that Palo raped the girl. Leath's decision may have been based on things that happened that are not disputed by either party. We simply don't know all that went on that evening, and we don't know which of Palo's actions were considered for Leath's decision.