Kingland Systems update

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Ha, sorry, forgot to mention it is 26 pages. If you scroll down to around 18-20 there is a sketch of the new building. It's kind of dark/fuzzy but the building looks good.

They asked the city to waive setback requirements when they first proposed the development. The city asked them to come back with more detail. Kingland met with the Campustown Action Association and Historic Preservation Committee for input. Both gave their approval. They are also asking for some funding from the city in the form of TIF incentives. The building would be 75,000 sq ft, 3 stories, first floor retail, second floor for Kingland and third floor for ISU offices, which ISU has supposedly committed to. Also, the building that houses Jeff's Pizza is not included in the demolition, which is good.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Kingland wants to do some pretty heft renovations to their buildings on Lincoln Way and Welch. There is some zoning ordinance issue that they want a modification to.

Architecture/Engineering people care to step in and give a quick rundown to this "step-back" requirement?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Looks like Kingland wants to build a big three-story building with retail on the first floor, Kingland office space on the second floor, and lease the third floor for University office space. They also don't want to follow existing rules on how much space is between the curb and the building (or how much upper floors need to "step-back" from lower floors).

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Are there any students on CF that are really opposed to this project? I was reading the ISD article and the president of GSB is making it sound like this project is destroying Campustown.
Campustown revision - Iowa State Daily: News

That also led me to the Facebook page "Save Campustown".
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Campustown/218020095019236

Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't you want a company to renovate and build brand new buildings? Wouldn't a facelift benefit everyone? Especially since this project wouldn't affect any bars, unless I'm mistaken?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
At first I thought it sounded like a crummy deal for Campustown and the students, but now I'm thinking, as long as Kingland stays committed to maintaining that first floor as retail space and doesn't gouge tenants, it's probably a positive development. It will suck for the year that the current tenants get displaced and the building undergoes construction, but hopefully the strongest businesses will survive the transition in some way and better bars and restaurants will fill in the new, more attractive retail spaces. The only real downside is the potential for that new building to become dominated by chains.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Are there any students on CF that are really opposed to this project? I was reading the ISD article and the president of GSB is making it sound like this project is destroying Campustown.

That also led me to the Facebook page "Save Campustown".
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Campustown/218020095019236

Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't you want a company to renovate and build brand new buildings? Wouldn't a facelift benefit everyone? Especially since this project wouldn't affect any bars, unless I'm mistaken?

Great, a political science student with a "cause." That's everyone's favorite.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Strangely enough, I'm working on a project at my current customer that involves Kingland.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
At first I thought it sounded like a crummy deal for Campustown and the students, but now I'm thinking, as long as Kingland stays committed to maintaining that first floor as retail space and doesn't gouge tenants, it's probably a positive development. It will suck for the year that the current tenants get displaced and the building undergoes construction, but hopefully the strongest businesses will survive the transition in some way and better bars and restaurants will fill in the new, more attractive retail spaces. The only real downside is the potential for that new building to become dominated by chains.

I think there are maybe 3 business left in the stretch they plan to demolish, not including their own building: the bar at the corner, a consignment/second hand clothing store and the glass pipe store. The other businesses either closed or moved already.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think there are maybe 3 business left in the stretch they plan to demolish, not including their own building: the bar at the corner, a consignment/second hand clothing store and the glass pipe store. The other businesses either closed or moved already.

Sounds like it's pretty much a win then.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Well the article said kingland is already on talks with large retail businesses for that space, which does not sound good for small*business

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Well the article said kimgland is already on talks with large retail businesses for that space, which does not sound good for small*business

Just imagine if someone put a Walgreens or CVS right near Campustown...THE HORROR. Seriously, it can't be as worthless as a not bong shop

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Well the article said kingland is already on talks with large retail businesses for that space, which does not sound good for small*business
But that could help anchor other small businesses located throughout Campustown. Campustown is in desperate need of some TLC.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Hmm..I'm generally for this kind of thing, but this seems to include the old Chamberlain building on the corner. This was just extensively remodeled 7 years ago (not to mention the city insisted on the owners spending a butt-load more money on the renovations to maintain the historical integrity). Kind of interesting that less than 10 years down the road they OK just leveling the whole thing and putting in some cookie-cutter commercial space.

Maybe I just read the report wrong though, I'd be all for demolishing the rest of those buildings.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Architecture/Engineering people care to step in and give a quick rundown to this "step-back" requirement?

From what I understand(very basics) after Legacy and Cyclone Plaza( both go straight up all the way) went up the city put in regulations that require floors 3 and above to step back from the first two. Trying to stay away from the skyscraper "walled-in" feel. Kingland wants to do 3 stories and already has everything engineered for no step back. Since it's only three floors it sounds like it will probably pass. Also, I vaguely remember hearing Legacy was actually built after the ordinance went in to effect, but they got around it some how by how they classified the floors. Could definitely be wrong about that.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Hmm..I'm generally for this kind of thing, but this seems to include the old Chamberlain building on the corner. This was just extensively remodeled 7 years ago (not to mention the city insisted on the owners spending a butt-load more money on the renovations to maintain the historical integrity). Kind of interesting that less than 10 years down the road they OK just leveling the whole thing and putting in some cookie-cutter commercial space.

Maybe I just read the report wrong though, I'd be all for demolishing the rest of those buildings.

Well, the previous owners of the building, the Champlins, sold the buildings for $1.5 million, so I'd say they made out decent. They kind of brought the issues with the remodel on themselves too. When a building is in that bad of shape, you don't know what you're going to find until you do it.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I was reading the ISD article and the president of GSB is making it sound like this project is destroying Campustown.

How do you get "making it sound like this project is destroying Campustown" from "At the same time, Spencer Hughes, president of GSB, sent a letter to the Ames City Council on Sunday requesting that the council delay action on the agenda items dealing with the Kingland project in order to give students more time to voice their opinions on the changes." That's literally the only mention of the GSB president in the story ... asking the city for time for the students to voice their opinions. Considering it's the first week of classes and students are just now back on campus, that seems like a logical request. It's certainly not claiming the project is "destroying Campustown."

The Facebook page, yeah, that's a political science student with a cause, I grant you that.

(In the interests of openness, why yes, I am related to the GSB president. Why do you ask? :wink:)

Reactions: CyFan61

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron