How ESPN Owns College Football:

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/s...ominant-player-its-espn.html?ref=sports&_r=1&

Now...as I was reading through the article, they use this photo:

espn-truck.jpg

That HAS to be Jack Trice...in 1980? Stadium was still pretty new at that point. Lovely Astroturf.

Reactions: Judoka

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Funny how the uniforms look pretty much what they do today...from that angle.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, where's OSHA? I can't imagine what would happen today if someone was standing on the back of a pickup.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
That picture, from 1980, would have been just a year removed from a Hall of Fame Bowl. It was our first loosing season in the previous 4 (we'd had 3 straight 8 win seasons, and 2 straight bowl games back when that took more than just six wins). There was still a lot of hope for Donnie to be a suitable successor to Earl Bruce, plus we had Dwayne Crutchfield starting at tailback. There was a lot of excitement for that team, so I doubt that the lack of people in the stands had anything to do with a lack of people, and more to do with the fact that everyone was wearing hats and coats and it looks like a freakin' cold day, and it's probably still an hour before game.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Are you referring to the empty stands, "manly" stretches taking place, or both?
Yeah, looking back at it "great" wasn't the best word but I wasn't really looking at the stands. I just always like it when papers show Iowa State photos without meaning to.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
My brother's first year, I believe the team started 5-0 or 6-1 or something and then lost the rest...

5-1 (6-0 if you count the fact that Kansas had to forfeit that victory after the fact, but that's just a technicality), then went on to lose all of the rest except for 1.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I'd have to look it up, but before 2011, the highest attended seasons were the last couple seasons of the 1970's through like 1981. We averaged something like 51000-52000 around that time. It was after the early 80's until the mid-late 90's that our attendance sunk into the mid 30's.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
ESPN's role in conference realignment can never be called conspiracy theory ever again . . . towards the end of the article:

The extent of ESPN’s involvement in the reordering of conferences has been the subject of much debate. N.C.A.A. rules forbid television networks from dictating what they want conferences or colleges to do, but they are free to offer an opinion if asked.

Mr. Skipper, ESPN’s president, acknowledged that conference officials frequently consulted him.

“I had, on occasion, two conference commissioners ask me about adding the same school,” Mr. Skipper said, “and I said to both of them: ‘Yes, you should add that school. If you can add that very prominent school, it would be good for your conference. But I’m not telling you to do it.’ I don’t provide leading advice, and I don’t say, ‘Wink, wink, I’ll pay you more money if you do that.’ ”

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron