Philly WR Cooper racial slur and McCoy's reaction

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The context is a lot of it I think, Cooper was clearly being angry and hostile when he said it. He could have said any derogatory term and it wouldn't have been ok.

Except with the N-bomb, he could have said it in a "loving" context and the African American community would have taken offense. According to them, there is no context in which anybody but an African American should ever be allowed to use that word. And that is the double standard.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Except with the N-bomb, he could have said it in a "loving" context and the African American community would have taken offense. According to them, there is no context in which anybody but an African American should ever be allowed to use that word. And that is the double standard.

Again, that's those people's problem. But there is no context that I could use that word and feel good about myself. And I don't want to be around people that use it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The context is a lot of it I think, Cooper was clearly being angry and hostile when he said it. He could have said any derogatory term and it wouldn't have been ok.

Agreed. He was clearly being an inflammatory ******, regardless of terminology.

But if he had said it in a non-derogatory fashion, there would still probably be public outrage.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You're speaking for an awful lot of people with just a couple sentences there.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Agreed. He was clearly being an inflammatory ******, regardless of terminology.

But if he had said it in a non-derogatory fashion, there would still probably be public outrage.
I'm not convinced of that I guess, has that happened in the past? If he was on camera being buddy buddy with the security guard and said something like "What's up my ni**a" do we have him taking a break from the team and attending counseling? I don't personally think so.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Again, that's those people's problem. But there is no context that I could use that word and feel good about myself. And I don't want to be around people that use it.

I think you misunderstand me. I never use that word. My kids will never use that word if I can help it, and if they do they'll be taking a large bite out of a bar of Ivory. And I'm not making excuses FOR Cooper - the guy is a racist toolbox.

What I'm saying is it's absolutely hypocritical for a community to get upset every time someone throws the N-bomb around when they throw it amongst themselves on a daily basis.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If a white person used it in a positive connotation, they would still be viewed as racist by many.

From what I can tell, the majority of blacks consider it racist for a white to say the word in any context.

Agree. Many people would perceive it to be racist, but then it wouldn't necessarily make the person who said it racist, just really stupid (Riley is probably both, in my opinion). But there is nothing wrong with people perceiving it to be racist when it is actually just a person saying something without thinking, because everything about the n-word makes the average person think of race instead of stupidity. There's a reason Eminem can get away with it, and Yellow Snow could get away with it with his roommate. It's because they were known well enough to understand what that word actually meant. Plus his roommate was calling him the word despite him being white, so it obviously couldn't really be perceived as a derogatory term.

I am talking in circles with my posts by first arguing what the word means, and then arguing that it doesn't matter, even if you mean it in a friendly way. But...it's a difficult subject that isn't at all accurately discussed by all of the mouth breathers simply comparing ****** to cracker, though.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think you misunderstand me. I never use that word. My kids will never use that word if I can help it, and if they do they'll be taking a large bite out of a bar of Ivory. And I'm not making excuses FOR Cooper - the guy is a racist toolbox.

What I'm saying is it's absolutely hypocritical for a community to get upset every time someone throws the N-bomb around when they throw it amongst themselves on a daily basis.

That's ********. You are judging the entire African American community without any basis. For all you know, most African Americans that get upset about the use of the word don't condone anyone using it.

That would be like me assuming all whites are racists because some Eagles football player used the word.

You are doing exactly what you say is hypocritical.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That's ********. You are judging the entire African American community without any basis. For all you know, most African Americans that get upset about the use of the word don't condone anyone using it.

That would be like me assuming all whites are racists because some Eagles football player used the word.

You are doing exactly what you say is hypocritical.

Bull****? Probably not.

Like I said, Oprah Winfrey, the poster child of African American woman success, said on her show 20 some-odd years ago that she and her friends use it amongst themselves. Fine. Oprah is one woman. But if someone like Oprah is using it with her friends, I'm willing to bet that it's far from the "isolated" use that you claim it is.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree. Many people would perceive it to be racist, but then it wouldn't necessarily make the person who said it racist, just really stupid (Riley is probably both, in my opinion). But there is nothing wrong with people perceiving it to be racist when it is actually just a person saying something without thinking, because everything about the n-word makes the average person think of race instead of stupidity. There's a reason Eminem can get away with it, and Yellow Snow could get away with it with his roommate. It's because they were known well enough to understand what that word actually meant. Plus his roommate was calling him the word despite him being white, so it obviously couldn't really be perceived as a derogatory term.

I am talking in circles with my posts by first arguing what the word means, and then arguing that it doesn't matter, even if you mean it in a friendly way. But...it's a difficult subject that isn't at all accurately discussed by all of the mouth breathers simply comparing ****** to cracker, though.

I agree with you and Al and wasn't intending to victimize Cooper. He used it most certainly in a derogatory way. Now if we simplify it to just using the word, what qualifies Eminem to use the word but not Cooper? That's certainly changing the situation completely and probably isn't fair but that's kind of my point. If you are white and build up street cred, you can use it then as long as it isn't inflammatory? I think Cooper looks like a ****** and likely has some sort of racial bias. He used it in a fashion that could never be accepted and should never be accepted. I don't have a problem with the outrage in and of itself. I have a problem with listening to the outrage on ESPN radio and then flipping to a Lil' Wayne song and hearing it 15 times.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's not like the idea of a word that was once only used to spread hate and prejudice being reappropriated by the community it was used against is a new concept.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Are you saying it's a double standard because people take offense to the N-word being used in a friendly context. That would be ******* ridiculous. It's a lot more stupid to use the word in a friendly context to someone you don't know, than it is to misunderstand that usage to be racist. It's just not equivalent at all.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are you saying it's a double standard because people take offense to the N-word being used in a friendly context. That would be ******* ridiculous. It's a lot more stupid to use the word in a friendly context to someone you don't know, than it is to misunderstand that usage to be racist. It's just not equivalent at all.

No. It's an outright double standard that you take offense to someone using a particular word that you have no problems with throwing around yourself.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No. It's an outright double standard that you take offense to someone using a particular word that you have no problems with throwing around yourself.
If I call my friends a-holes when we're sitting around playing Mahjong that's one thing, just because I don't want people calling me an a-holes in other situations is not a double standard.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
You guys are something else. The dude is an idiot and you are idiots for defending him. That word is not the same as cracker. I am so sick of the false equivalency, when we have been enslaved, treated as subhuman just because of the color of our skin and forced by a majority race into a substandard parrallel life within a generation and we have a word that symbolizes this then we have an equivalancy. Hell if a black person called me a cracker I would laugh and so would you that word is not hurtful.

I have been called a "cracker" by a black kid out of hate, and I did not appreciate it. At the beginning of our disagreement he instantaneously resorted to calling me an "f'ing cracker". He was trying to use it derogatorily and that is what hurt. I grew up with about half of my friends being black, 1/4 hispanic and 1/4 white. I was hurt not by that exact word, but by the fact that a black person would try to hurl a racial slur at me. That was the first time in my life (at the age of 18 no less) that I really ever felt any difference between myself as a white kid and any other races.

If the same situation that occurred between this kid and myself occurred between a black football player and a white guy, this would not be news. Cooper should apologize to the security guard and no one else. There is no one else that needs an apology from him, the argument occurred between those two people and it should end with him making amends to the man he insulted.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
There really hasn't been enough time spent in this thread blaming the media.