Monday Musings: Game-by-game predictions for 2013

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Nice work, as always, CW. I think 6-6 would be perfectly reasonable this year. There are just too many question marks at important positions, especially DL, to really feel safe about much else. I especially like the KSU prediction, and you are right, ISU is due in Farmageddon.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If you offered me a 6-6 season with this youth and schedule, I would sign up for it right now. I think 2-1 in non-conference (L @ Tulsa) and 2 conference wins (Kansas and either WVU/KSU but not both). Defensive line and depth at LB scare me. I think our O is better than last season but I can't see how our D is as good.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I think this team can and will win 7 games. The ones Chris listed and I think ISU surprises TCU at home. I think there will be a lot of hype around this team going into 2014.

Last edited:

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Maybe I have low expectations, but anytime Iowa State makes a bowl, I'm perfectly satisfied. Bring on 6+ wins!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
More on the Iowa game...

I originally had them as a "likely win" but changed it last minute. That is the strongest tweener for Iowa State IMO, but that rivalry is a toss up. We all know it. Had to go tweener for that one.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
6 wins would be a small miracle. I can see them wining as little as 3 games this year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't quite decide what to think about this season. For some reason I feel like 4 wins is the mark this year. Maybe I am just subconsciously setting the bar low to avoid a let down, but we lost so many important pieces this year that I am not overly optimistic. The biggest thing I took for Chris's piece is that we have a grand total of 2 "should win" games, one of which is on the road to a team that handled us a few months ago.

The "formula" the last few years has worked well. Win the games you should, win a few close ones and find an upset somewhere. To me, that is a very dangerous game to play. Lose a game somewhere in there you should win and you're going to have a heck of a time finding a way to replace that win. With our youth and that schedule, I just see 4 wins as what we end up with.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I just don't understand why everyone thinks Baylor and TCU are going to be that good. They weren't that good last year.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
So many question marks with this team and the conference. I could see anywhere from 2-8 wins. It is going to be a fun year in the Big 12.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
More on the Iowa game...

I originally had them as a "likely win" but changed it last minute. That is the strongest tweener for Iowa State IMO, but that rivalry is a toss up. We all know it. Had to go tweener for that one.

Exactly....the rivalry makes this a game. Heck, last year we basically had that game in hand, but the last couple minutes could have went the other way REAL easily. Thankfully this year, at least on paper, we are not the dog.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I just don't understand why everyone thinks Baylor and TCU are going to be that good. They weren't that good last year.
Baylor worries me because its on the road, but some reason a Texas team in mid November at JTS does not worry me. Im never surprised when ISU wins games like last year against Baylor in cooler weather.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't like KSU being the "signature" win this year. I want that to be the "we've played within a possession the last four years, it's time for statistics to rule in our favor" type of game.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I think this team will be competitive in most games, but I don't see it translating into six wins. 2012 was supposed to be the year things aligned for us, yet we still saw only six wins. It's going to take some solid QB and OL play to get us there this year.