Non-Catholic Marrying Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Anyone here have that experience? I was raised Luthern, but some of this marriage prep stuff seems odd.

Reactions: CyBobby

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I was raised protestant and married a catholic. We have had our fair share of discussions/disagreements but have agreed on the foundation of our beliefs. We actually are sponsor couples for those in the same situation we were in. Feel free to PM me if any questions. I've probably felt and noticed a lot of the same things you have/do.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I did it about three years ago. I think the marriage prep requirements are pretty heavily dependent on what priest/church is marrying you. Are you doing the whole RCIA/RCRA conversion thing?

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
I went down that road 5 years ago, and the questionnaire stuff basically said we weren't very compatible and should thinks seriously about and discuss our marriage. We scoffed at it, didn't bat an eye, and lasted a little over 4 years.

Hopefully you and your fiance see eye to eye on most issues or can find middle ground where you might not.

By the way, I am still a practicing Catholic after converting before our marriage.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I am a Catholic, married a Jehovah's Witness... it is definitely weird stuff there. SOME priests are more weird about it than others. A lot of the silly stuff mostly happens if you are planning on having a priest marry you (which would mean Catholic church wedding). Just be thankful you aren't marrying in to the old school Catholics. It is definitely easier than having a priest bless the wedding after you're married.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have to watch some videos called "Good News about Sex & Marriage."

I forgot about all the natural child planning stuff... We were lucky to get a priest that made that course optional and a sponsor couple who, while the believed in and followed it, didn't try to push it on us and just sort of presented it as something to think about and left it alone. The fact that they had 7 kids probably didn't make them real confident in trying to sell that concept to a young couple, lol.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I forgot about all the natural child planning stuff... We were lucky to get a priest that made that course optional and a sponsor couple who, while the believed in and followed it, didn't try to push it on us and just sort of presented it as something to think about and left it alone. The fact that they had 7 kids probably didn't make them real confident in trying to sell that concept to a young couple, lol.

So how do I address the fact that my future spouse wants 4 kids. I want 2 so we are planning on having 3?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Getting married in Catholic Church by a priest, but not having a full mass.

We did this too. I didn't want to deal with the drama of people not being able to or not knowing whether they should take communion. Even with a couple old school Catholics in my wife's family, we didn't get any complaints.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
So how do I address the fact that my future spouse wants 4 kids. I want 2 so we are planning on having 3?

I'm not sure I understand the question. It sounds like you guys have already talked about it and addressed the issue. I think that's like 90% of the reason the Catholic church makes couples go through the counseling, to eliminate all the young couples that go "oooo pretty ring! wedding planning!" but don't take the time to actually consider what their life together will be.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I've been dating a girl for well over a year, I have no idea what she is and vice versa. I know she is a christian of some type. Does someone's religion still play an important role in a relationship? I thought that was long gone.

Reactions: cyrevkah

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Those of who weren't Catholic, did you convert prior to getting married?

I'm in the same position as the OP, I'm Lutheran, fiancee is Catholic.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I've been dating a girl for well over a year, I have no idea what she is and vice versa. I know she is a christian of some type. Does someone's religion still play an important role in a relationship? I thought that was long gone.

If you don't know what religion she is at this point that probably means she is not that into it, so you don't have to worry.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
It does if they have convictions about their beliefs. Guessing in your situation that you are a year in and haven't talked about it then it is not a huge deal in your relationship.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

it can if it's important to one or both of you............or to one of your families. Things like where you'd get married, whether you'd attend church, baptize your children (if you have them), what religion you would raise your kids - stuff like that.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
My wife is catholic and when we got married the priest didn't make me do 90% of what I was supposed to. Didn't play a major role.....however now we are having our first child and where she is baptisted is more of a discussion.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006

Ha. We had that talk before we were married too and my wife was adamant about having kids in 7 years and she wanted 2. By our 7th year of marriage we had knocked out #3 and now she wants 4.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

It's not important...until it is important. For my wife and I, it came up because all the non-Catholics that had married into her family had converted, so she just grew up assuming that's what would happen. I grew up with a mom that taught in a public school, so I never really saw myself sending my kids to a private, religious school, but that was definitely an option on the table in her mind. If neither person is very religious, it's those weird little assumptions like that where religious differences still make themselves known.

Status
Not open for further replies.