Negus Webster-Chan Transferring....

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
no room unless ISU has a mass exodus to get both Cosby and NWC.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Do you guys still want transfers? At some point, I hope for us to be in position to reload with our own recruits. I think that to continue to rely on and encourage the reputation of being "Transfer U", that it might hurt recruiting. Do I, as a high-school prospect, want to go somewhere knowing there's a decent chance I'll not see the floor freshman year or get bumped down the road by the latest transfer? For example, if we had landed Locket as we all wanted, would that have been impactful to Niang, either in the recruiting process or in his playing time this year? As well as Lockett played for Marquette this year, give me Niang all day.

Just my viewpoint. I love that transfers allowed us to get back to respectability more quickly, but the better programs do not rely on transfers and Jucos. That's where I would like to be.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
According to a post in the Cosby thread, we're out and he's down to Mizzou and Illinois.

I'm too lazy to go find it, but are we out by our own choice or did he eliminate us? I ask because I know there was speculation that we were interested in Cosby when Bluford had some academic issues that he has since cleared up...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Do you guys still want transfers? At some point, I hope for us to be in position to reload with our own recruits. I think that to continue to rely on and encourage the reputation of being "Transfer U", that it might hurt recruiting. Do I, as a high-school prospect, want to go somewhere knowing there's a decent chance I'll not see the floor freshman year or get bumped down the road by the latest transfer? For example, if we had landed Locket as we all wanted, would that have been impactful to Niang, either in the recruiting process or in his playing time this year? As well as Lockett played for Marquette this year, give me Niang all day.

Just my viewpoint. I love that transfers allowed us to get back to respectability more quickly, but the better programs do not rely on transfers and Jucos. That's where I would like to be.

Absolutely bring em in. Dont load up an entire team of them, but if talent is out there, snatch it up. Would be stupid not to.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Certainly it would be great to continue to bring in elite high school talent, but transfers are as much of the college game at this point as high school recruiting. I think Fred's philosophy (and correctly so) is to bring in the most talent he possibly can. Whether that is a shooter from Wisconsin, a PG from Detriot, a big from Boston, or a transfer from who-knows-where, if they can play we will take them.

K

KFitzy87

If anything... Lockett signing would have cut down on Tyrus' or Bubu's playing time... Not Niang's.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

Transfers are like free agents in the NBA. High school recruits are draft picks. You generally know exactly what you are getting with a free agent. You have hopes for your draft picks, but some don't pan out.

Hoiberg I think knows this and has commented that they won't shy away from transfers. If we have an open spot and a need, he'll take a look.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I get what you are saying, but most impactful freshman who should be playing major minutes or starting have the swagger to believe that they are going to play no matter who else a coach brings in. Keep in mind that Niang took away the starting role from a 5th year senior. If a player isn't one of those, he would only be starting because the team doesn't have anyone else, not because he is ready to start.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Transfer are a part of CBB. 500+ kids decided to transfer last year. If you're not considering a few transfers, you're ignoring a big part of CBB, and a 2nd way of building your team. I'm not against adding ~2 per year, if we have the space. You can usually only play 7-9 guys, and having talent on your "scout" team isn't a bad thing.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

To ignore the source of potential talent that transfers offer would be stupid. It's a matter of seeing the state of college basketball for what it really is.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Everyone looks to get transfers to upgrade talent. Heck, Withey and Young from KU were transfers. You gotta try to find talent anyway you can, especially when you are not a blue blood in college basketball.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

We don't rely on the transfers, as can be seen by our high school recruits. Look at what you said, Marquette went out and got Lockett. I would say their program is pretty good this year.

K

KFitzy87

Am I remembering right... Didn't SDW sign, and that virtually locked up us not being able to get NWC due to having no more open spots in that recruiting class?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm especially interested in the transfers that we recruiting previously, like Clyburn. He remembered and came back.