Negus Webster-Chan Transferring....

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
The last 6' 5" wing that transferred in with 3 years to play turned out alright.

He averaged 2.8 pts his freshman year on 10 minutes per game.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The staff was being proactive and recruiting him in case we lost a player. Now that we didn't lose a player it looks like we stopped recruiting him and told him we don't have a scholarship for him.

What about Travis Hines reporting that we are now after Davis?

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Then why did we show so much interest?

Probably cuz looking at the past trends of players leaving our program in the past 5-10 years the staff assumed that we would lose at least one player. Then after the one and one meetings they figured it out that no one wanted to transfer.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
There isn't a deadline for a player to transfer. With all the stuff that happened last week, I wouldn't be surprised if Fred hasn't had much time to sit down with each player and discuss their options. There very well could still be someone who leaves the program and with Fred going to Atlanta soon, we probably won't hear until next week, if there is a player leaving.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
What about Travis Hines reporting that we are now after Davis?

You should ask him. Pretty sure every single decent transfer that is available cyclone fans/cyclone reporters probably assume that we are pursuing them based on our recent history of signing transfers.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You should ask him. Pretty sure every single decent transfer that is available cyclone fans/cyclone reporters probably assume that we are pursuing them based on our recent history of signing transfers.

Travis Hines knows more than your average Internet poster including you

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
If there is someone Fred really, really wants he can create a spot. Its tough stuff but scholarships aren't' four-year commitments. Its cut throat and its SEC football strategy. I'm not saying I want this or that Fred would do this but its an option.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
There isn't a deadline for a player to transfer. With all the stuff that happened last week, I wouldn't be surprised if Fred hasn't had much time to sit down with each player and discuss their options. There very well could still be someone who leaves the program and with Fred going to Atlanta soon, we probably won't hear until next week, if there is a player leaving.

I'm basing it off of when players left after the 2010-11 season and 2011-12 season.

2010-11 season ends on 3/9/11.
-Eric McKnight announces transfer on 3/14/11(5 days after season)

2011-12 season ends on 3/17/12
-Royce white announces decision on 3/21/12(4 days after season)
-Railey and Sledge announce transfer on 3/23/12(6 days after season)

2012-13 season ends on 3/24/12
-Tomorrow will be 10 days since the season ended and there have been 0 players that have announced they are going to transfer.

Also this is the best shape this program has been in in the past 10 years probably. We also lost 4 of our top 6 players which means there is a lot of opportunity for them to play next year. Most players transfer because they didn't play and they don't see an opportunity to play in the near future. So the combination of the state of this program and the opportunity to play next season isn't a good formula for players to transfer.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like developing our own players, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have transfers from another school over JC guys. And Fred's bringing in 4 JC guys this year. Not saying JC is all bad (Tinsley, Paul Shirley, Marquise Gilstrap, McGee, among others) but to commit 4 scholarships to JC guys in one year seems a bit much. Wouldn't mind at all if Hoiberg scrapped one of them for a legitimate transfer. KU accepts transfers also btw, it's not just a coping mechanism for lesser programs like ISU, Mizzou, Marquette etc.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I like developing our own players, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have transfers from another school over JC guys. And Fred's bringing in 4 JC guys this year. Not saying JC is all bad (Tinsley, Paul Shirley, Marquise Gilstrap, McGee, among others) but to commit 4 scholarships to JC guys in one year seems a bit much. Wouldn't mind at all if Hoiberg scrapped one of them for a legitimate transfer. KU accepts transfers also btw, it's not just a coping mechanism for lesser programs like ISU, Mizzou, Marquette etc.

Paul Shirley was not a Juco, you trolling Jackwagon.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If he could find 5 6'6"- 6'7" guys that could dribble like Tinsley, pass like Royce, drive like Clyburn, shoot the 3 like Mcgee, we would have 5 guys at 6'6" to 6'7" starting
You basically described a team of all Rashad Vaughns or Andrew Wiggins. Yeah, most coaches would start those players.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Paul Shirley was not a Juco, you trolling Jackwagon.

What is with the name calling? What have I said to identify myself as a troll? Why aren't people more welcoming on this site? Thought same-interest Cyclone fans were agreeable people. Maybe I should have stayed on the ESPN boards.

In reference to Paul Shirley, all I remember is that he played 2 years. Seemed like a JUCO to me. Glad you could pick out that one flaw in my post and deduce that I was a 'troll'

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
There was talk earlier in a thread of Edozie possibly red-shirting. Just a rumor at this point, but a possibility that would make sense if ISU goes after Davis. Travis said he expected ISU to show interest. That's it. Davis would make sense as ISU needs some big man help for next year, especially if Edozie is not really Big 12 or Division I ready. Davis would also make sense because he is a proven player (18 ppg/ 11 rpg) and is able to play immediately. Disadvantage with him is he has one year left, but by then Edozie would be ready. Makes a lot more sense to go after Davis than to accept or pursue Webster-Chan.

It's still early. There are still probably 2 or 3 hundred transfers yet to be announced. Things will settle, and CFH and staff will put together the best team they possibly can. I really hope we don't start a new thread with every transfer that is announced over the next month or so.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
What is with the name calling? What have I said to identify myself as a troll? Why aren't people more welcoming on this site? Thought same-interest Cyclone fans were agreeable people. Maybe I should have stayed on the ESPN boards.

In reference to Paul Shirley, all I remember is that he played 2 years. Seemed like a JUCO to me. Glad you could pick out that one flaw in my post and deduce that I was a 'troll'

Your trollishness was revealed by your earlier commens--not your mistake regarding Shirley. Amazing powers of deduction were not required.

Troll on, 18 wheels, TROLL ON!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Give me a break. I haven't said one thing anti-cyclone on here since I arrived 3 days ago, nor would I, being a Cyclone fan. I bleed cardinal and gold, through and through.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Give me a break. I haven't said one thing anti-cyclone on here since I arrived 3 days ago, nor would I, being a Cyclone fan. I bleed cardinal and gold, through and through.
I smelled troll from your 2nd post. We will be watching you :skeptical:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Probably cuz looking at the past trends of players leaving our program in the past 5-10 years the staff assumed that we would lose at least one player. Then after the one and one meetings they figured it out that no one wanted to transfer.
So glad you were able to use your psychic powers to read the coach's minds. Please continue to provide us with your undying wisdom