Creighton to Big East?

bbrill140

Jul 1, 2006
I would think that they would add a NDSU, SDSU, or Western Ill. because of their inclusion in the football conference.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
They would have to if they are offered. It is not high risk/high reward. It is high risk/guaranteed reward. Yes, they could miss out on some tourneys. I have heard numbers in the neighborhood of increasing athletic revenue by 10x.
From an ISU perspective, it would be great to have a near by non-conference opponent from an upper tier basketball conference.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
I would think that they would add a NDSU, SDSU, or Western Ill. because of their inclusion in the football conference.

Dakotas do not add enough value to make up for the location, imo

Belmont
Denver (Supposedly turned down)
ORU
UWM

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Can always add UNO from the Summit League (swap one Omaha team for another).

Sounds about right for Trev Alberts - drop football and wrestling to go D-I and then skip out on the conference that gave them their break.

Last edited:

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.

Not my first time living in Omaha. The last time I was here though, nobody gave a crap about Creighton and it was glorious...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.

Jay. There's one thing you need to get your head around. This is Cyclone Fanatic. So **** off

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
[h=5]As communicated during the Big East press conference earlier this morning, Creighton University will resign from the Missouri Valley Conference membership effective June 30, 2013.

Creighton has been a valued member of the Conference for many years. We respect the decision by the University to resign from the MVC, and we wish them well in their future athletic endeavors.

I want to be clear in stating that the Missouri Valley Conference is not defined by any one institution. The Valley’s history has shown, time and again, that it finds the strength, resources, competitive determination, and leadership to rise to higher levels at times of change. We will continue to be a great basketball and all-sports league, as we have been since our founding in 1907.

The MVC Presidents Council will continue to chart the future course of the Conference and has been proactively engaged in evaluating membership options.

Doug Elgin
Commissioner[/h]

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We should get Creighton on the schedule. Would be a good chance for an equal partnership with home and homes now that they are in a big boy conference.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'm happy to see some big names heading to town to play. I do think Greg has to be nervous. He was going to have to work to make sure he didnt drop off once Dougie leaves anyway. Now hes potentially back in a situation where he has struggled before - having to recruit and coach with the big boys. The next couple years will be big for the Jays, as Nebbie seems like they might be poised for improvement just down the road. If Creighton struggles that could get interesting.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Don't worry Tank. There are some folks in Omaha who need to talk about something other than the latest person who's been killed in the last couple days.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the WATERED DOWN Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.

Fixed it for you... Only 3 of the "Catholic 7" have won shares of the Big East title in the last 20 years.

Lets not act like UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame are coming along.

Welcome back Giggles... you have not been missed.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If Creighton thinks they are going to join the Big East and have anywhere near the same success they have had in the MWC, they are delusional. Not only with GMac have to recruit with the big boys out East, he has to try and get Big East level talent to come to Omaha to play at a small private school like Creighton.

At least Hoiberg has ISU with some history in the Big 12 and history recruiting in MI and out East. There are kids in NY who don't even know where Nebraska is, much less have they heard of Creighton.