Creighton to Big East?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If Creighton thinks they are going to join the Big East and have anywhere near the same success they have had in the MWC, they are delusional. Not only with GMac have to recruit with the big boys out East, he has to try and get Big East level talent to come to Omaha to play at a small private school like Creighton.

At least Hoiberg has ISU with some history in the Big 12 and history recruiting in MI and out East. There are kids in NY who don't even know where Nebraska is, much less have they heard of Creighton.

I think they are more interested in teh $$$$$$'s than on the court results. $$$$$=success to anyone/anything that matters.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I need to know why Providence, DePaul, St. Johns vs Creighton makes their fans more excited....

This is such a stupid criticism of the Big East move and I keep seeing it. They are also getting games vs. Georgetown, Marquette, Butler, and Xavier. You're telling me that top end isn't more exciting than Wichita St. and UNI? The DePaul's and Providence's are taking the place of your Evansville's and Drake's and on that front, I'd say they are also an improvement over the MVC.

Criticize this for the reasons that are actually valid: Illogical geography/travel and the fact that they'll struggle to keep competitive, killing interest in their program.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Tank. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU has a strong basketball program that is likely headed to the Big East and 2) you are going to hear about the program every season for as long as you live in Omaha. If you can't get your head around that, Council Bluffs is a short commute down the road so you can always head back in the direction you came from. I'm sure you won't be missed by your neighbors.

CUJay. There are two things that you need to get your head around 1) CU's strength as a basketball program is directly proportional to the strength of the MVC which is to say that it is unremarkable compared to the Catholic 7 2) Tank will hear about that program less and less if it leaves the MVC while he lives in Omaha.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think they are more interested in teh $$$$$$'s than on the court results. $$$$$=success to anyone/anything that matters.

Yeah, they will make a decent amount of money, but they will end up around the level that Providence is at right now at best.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm happy to see some big names heading to town to play. I do think Greg has to be nervous. He was going to have to work to make sure he didnt drop off once Dougie leaves anyway. Now hes potentially back in a situation where he has struggled before - having to recruit and coach with the big boys. The next couple years will be big for the Jays, as Nebbie seems like they might be poised for improvement just down the road. If Creighton struggles that could get interesting.

You know, it's always possible that he actually learned his lessons at Iowa State. I don't think his problem here was that he didn't see what he had done wrong, but that by the time he had gotten to that point the culture and team had gotten so far away from him he was never going to be able to reel it back in. He'll have had three years to establish his program at Creighton, it's possible he will be able to leverage the Big East thing into recruiting better players and actually understand how to work with them this time around. Not a sure thing by any means, but possible.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I was also thinking last night, if I wasn't so sure that they were just biding their time for the new Big East to invite more teams in the next couple seasons, shouldn't the Valley at least make a run at inviting St. Louis to join? They'd probably say no, but doesn't it at least make some sense? Outside of VCU, what's left in the A-10 you'd really consider a marquee program worth putting up with the horrible travel situation to be in a conference with? Even without Creighton you'd still have pretty decent mid-majors like Wichita St. and UNI in your conference. You'd have home court for your conference tournament. You're not constantly having your teams travelling to the east coast. And if the Valley decided they wanted to bring in say Belmont and Oral Roberts at the same time and go to 12, isn't that a conference you'd consider pretty level with a Butler/Temple/Xavier/Charlotee-less A-10 anyway? Obviously all bets are off if they think they're Big East bound in the near future, but it's at least food for thought, right?

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
SLU is the best option for the Valley if they are interested. They pretty much replace everthing Creighton brought to the table. They are even more isolated from the A10 geographically with Xavier leaving, so maybe they would be interested now. Dayton is still pretty close, but if I'm the Valley I invite them too.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Invite Nebraska-Omaha, South Dakota and South Dakota State to the MVC.

Again, replace one Omaha school for another and then fill the remaining two with schools that fit geographically.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron