Students - Hilton thoughts

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Am I the only one thinking the management in Hilton has gotten out of control when it comes to students?

Last year, we could get in any entry. They preferred the north doors, but any entry was accepted.

This year, they limited it to just the north.

A cop buddy (not Clones21) told me 3 doors were broken during the Kansas game because 4,000 students were trying to rush into 4 doors.

I thought one of two things MUST be done to prevent anything like this happening again.

1. Allow students to gain entrance into Hilton in all entrances. This spreads the students out, makes it less of a drunk mess riot. This will lead to less shoving, so less broken doors

2. Allow students to gain entrance into Hilton based on game-hype, not "1 hour every game." Why are we opening doors for students 1 hour ahead of time for Campbell when no students are even there an hour ahead of time, and then opening them just 1 hour ahead of time for Kansas when 4,000 students are waiting outside - 2,000 of which had been waiting for multiple hours, 1,000 of which were drunk and don't even remember standing outside. If we let students in early for big games, it's less of a rush from the people who get there late.

INSTEAD, Hilton does this:
STUDENT-ENTRY-500X311.GIF

SHAKE MY HEAD

ONE DOOR? ONE DOOR FOR 4,000 STUDENTS? WHATS GOING ON?!?!? Sure it will prevent 3 doors from breaking, but this is just asking for more pushing and shoving and ****** off students. Students getting there a half hour before doors open will be standing at Schemen.

Lets go management, the McDoormat era is OVER!

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
It's only about 2,000-2,500 but yeah probably not the best idea! Glad I don't have to deal with that!

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had multiple doors last year then the old fogies complained that we were being obnoxious, which I guess we kind of were. But this is a one time incident. The only way to fix this would be to change it up just for the Kansas (and probably Iowa) game. The 1 hour before every game rule and every other rule works 95% of the time.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm not a facilities management guy but why is the policy different for students than the general public? When we arrive tonight we can go in any door we want yet the students are forced to use a certain set of doors. I guess I don't understand what the difference is between students and non-students. We all have one ticket per person so why is there any differentiation?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Looks like they listened to you
581733_10151300992986884_1815318122_n.jpg

Hate to be redundant - but Cubs added this picture in his main post

Last edited:

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Damn missed it by a minute.....

I agree that all entrances should be open. If you have a set ticket than you can wait 5-10 minutes to get inside Hilton. I will next year when I'm not a student.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not a facilities management guy but why is the policy different for students than the general public? When we arrive tonight we can go in any door we want yet the students are forced to use a certain set of doors. I guess I don't understand what the difference is between students and non-students. We all have one ticket per person so why is there any differentiation?

Our tickets = our student ID.

However, last year, they had scanners at every single entrance. This year I guess they want to reduce it to just one scanner at one door.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A cop buddy (not Clones21) told me 3 doors were broken during the Kansas game because 4,000 students were trying to rush into 4 doors.

...makes it less of a drunk mess riot. This will lead to less shoving, so less broken doors ...

...1,000 of which were drunk and don't even remember standing outside....

So 1,000 drunks bull rushed and broke doors, and the blame for that goes to ISU/Hilton? Riiiiiiight.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So 1,000 drunks bull rushed and broke doors, and the blame for that goes to ISU/Hilton? Riiiiiiight.

Well.. to an extent, yes. If they werent forcing them to use just one of the sets of doors the crowd wouldve been much smaller and would have had no issues. Its poor crowd management.

But ISU seems bad at that whole thing in general, from this to parking lot traffic management.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

The blame goes to Hilton for not FIXING THE PROBLEM.

This is no different than having 1,000 drunks who have to pee and only 4 toilet seats.

Whoops, they missed the toilet. Gonna have to drop it down to 1 toilet for 1,000 drunks who have to pee.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
In that same email it says seats can no longer be saved. Looks like Kansas was my last game, midterm gets out at 6.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
And back to my analogy, the last 990 drunks aren't going to wait for the toilet - they are going to do exactly what I saw 2 drunks do at the Kansas game - urinate in a 2-liter coke bottle that they had their mixed drink in and leave it wherever it lands.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Why do posters keep saying Hilton/ISU? The Athletic Department runs Hilton now.....there is no outside management company any more involved with Hilton. The AD runs it the same as they run Jack Trice.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
So, guessing that they only use 2 scanners tonight since it's one set of doors, that means that roughly twenty or so scanners are going unused? Great.. they have a hard enough time getting us in with all of them.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
In that same email it says seats can no longer be saved. Looks like Kansas was my last game, midterm gets out at 6.

That might have been my fault. I was spread out across like 8 seats for the Kansas game. Friends bailed on me and then I sold them for $5 a piece. With the security guard trying to kick me out.