Students - Hilton thoughts

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I work as an usher and my idea (which they did not take apparently) was scan like football games, set up a gate and funnel them through until the stairs then let them be at the doors until we open them. The problem that we have doing it the way they were is that the stupid student cards take longer to read and therefore people get impatient and then just push through. The reason they are north doors only (I assume) is because we just do not have the proper amount of card readers for them to manage all doors effectively.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Why do posters keep saying Hilton/ISU? The Athletic Department runs Hilton now.....there is no outside management company any more involved with Hilton. The AD runs it the same as they run Jack Trice.

Jack Trice is run by an outside company.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I work as an usher and my idea (which they did not take apparently) was scan like football games, set up a gate and funnel them through until the stairs then let them be at the doors until we open them. The problem that we have doing it the way they were is that the stupid student cards take longer to read and therefore people get impatient and then just push through. The reason they are north doors only (I assume) is because we just do not have the proper amount of card readers for them to manage all doors effectively.

How did they have two entrances last year? and what about the football games, seems like they have more for those. Also, what would 10 more card readers cost?

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How did they have two entrances last year? and what about the football games, seems like they have more for those. Also, what would 10 more card readers cost?

They have enough. They had plenty for the North and South doors last year. This is just bad management

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Football games they do not have more they share between the sites. The problem with the card readers are that they are very temperamental and sometimes will just stop working for what seems like no reason so it is hard to spread them so thin around 2 doors when some might just not work.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Am I the only one thinking the management in Hilton has gotten out of control when it comes to students?

Last year, we could get in any entry. They preferred the north doors, but any entry was accepted.

This year, they limited it to just the north.

A cop buddy (not Clones21) told me 3 doors were broken during the Kansas game because 4,000 students were trying to rush into 4 doors.

I thought one of two things MUST be done to prevent anything like this happening again.

1. Allow students to gain entrance into Hilton in all entrances. This spreads the students out, makes it less of a drunk mess riot. This will lead to less shoving, so less broken doors

2. Allow students to gain entrance into Hilton based on game-hype, not "1 hour every game." Why are we opening doors for students 1 hour ahead of time for Campbell when no students are even there an hour ahead of time, and then opening them just 1 hour ahead of time for Kansas when 4,000 students are waiting outside - 2,000 of which had been waiting for multiple hours, 1,000 of which were drunk and don't even remember standing outside. If we let students in early for big games, it's less of a rush from the people who get there late.

INSTEAD, Hilton does this:
STUDENT-ENTRY-500X311.GIF

SHAKE MY HEAD

ONE DOOR? ONE DOOR FOR 4,000 STUDENTS? WHATS GOING ON?!?!? Sure it will prevent 3 doors from breaking, but this is just asking for more pushing and shoving and ****** off students. Students getting there a half hour before doors open will be standing at Schemen.

Lets go management, the McDoormat era is OVER!

ISUCubsWin for President.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Jack Trice is run by an outside company.
OK. Is it a company like CSC or something? CSC was one of the first companies to do this, and they are the ones who first wore the "Event Staff" jackets and shirts. Was started by a guy out of Cedar Rapids I think.

Anyway......even if it is a private company doing the work, they are acting under the direction of someone in the Athletic Department. They aren't allowed to just make up their own rules about how things are done, I'm sure.

Are there two types of tickets that students have, or just the one that needs to be scanned?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Are the tickets that have to be scanned the only tickets that are allowed in the student sections, or are there other single game general admission tickets that are sold that can also go in those sections?

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I might not go and just watch at home. That Kansas game running in **** fest turned me off

The Kansas game is always going to be the exception, so you can't let that game keep you from coming to others. Personally, I can't stand the way they do it, and this change is ridiculous, BUT tonight is a 6pm game, and judging by the student turnout to the 6pm OU game, we need every student we can get.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
I might not go and just watch at home. That Kansas game running in **** fest turned me off
Yeah that was terrible. The problem is that I'm a senior and I'd like to go to our last home game. I'm also not feeling well so I guarantee I won't feel like going through anything like getting into the Kansas game.

Reactions: cyrevkah

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I believe for $2 you can print your ticket online and you can gain access to any door.

However, expecting students to pay $2/game to print something they already have on their student card is ludacris

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Are the tickets that have to be scanned the only tickets that are allowed in the student sections, or are there other single game general admission tickets that are sold that can also go in those sections?
Sorry for no one answering your last post. The student section is only the scanned tickets or you can print them off, but it's the same thing. There's no single game tickets down there.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Sorry for no one answering your last post. The student section is only the scanned tickets or you can print them off, but it's the same thing. There's no single game tickets down there.

OK. Next question is are the scanners portable?

If they are, then the way to handle this is to form the line like they are suggesting......and then once it has formed......take some staff out there to maintain it and scan the tickets of those in line before the doors are even opened. Once you start scanning, then the line must be maintained so no one is cheating.......but your staff can do that and those in line will help you. Hopefully, that would help to keep things more orderly. It should.

It would make more sense to have the scanners at each set of doors, designate one door at each set for student tickets, and open them all at the same time, but it seems like maybe there is a shortage of equipment.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
OK. Next question is are the scanners portable?

If they are, then the way to handle this is to form the line like they are suggesting......and then once it has formed......take some staff out there to maintain it and scan the tickets of those in line before the doors are even opened. Once you start scanning, then the line must be maintained so no one is cheating.......but your staff can do that and those in line will help you. Hopefully, that would help to keep things more orderly. It should.

It would make more sense to have the scanners at each set of doors, designate one door at each set for student tickets, and open them all at the same time, but it seems like maybe there is a shortage of equipment.
Yep they're portable. Pre-scanning tickets wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Yep they're portable. Pre-scanning tickets wouldn't be a bad idea.

No it should work. Calms people down. They don't feel quite the same need to push and shove to get through the doors. Now, they are probably still going to run like crazy to the seats once they get inside, but at least you eliminate the chance of doors breaking and broken glass, and people getting crushed.

Maybe that is what they are planning to do, but just are not releasing all the information yet. Sometimes you do that so people don't have time to figure out a way around the system.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron