Favorite holiday tradition

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've got no game today on the Friday thread, I was all invested in this Mayan apocalypse. What is your favorite holiday tradition in your house, what are you looking forward to or are enjoying most this year?

CEcyclone

Dec 15, 2011
Lenexa, KS
We always take a mile walk at night on Christmas Eve. Very relaxing to just take a nice walk with the family and put aside all the distractions, still look forward to it even in my mid twenties.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Christmas Eve at Grandma & Grandpa's house with all the relatives. I'll probably get to attend next year for the first time in a while.

My wife would say - watching "Scrooge" (the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" ) before going to bed on Christmas Eve.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We don't have a ton of "this happens every single year" traditions. My grandma used to make her awesome baked spaghetti with Jack Daniels in the sauce every year, had taken several years off, and now my mom is making it this year. My other grandma used to make oyster stew every year (I tried it twice, not a fan!), but she passed away last winter.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Always do homemade mexican food all day throughout Christmas Eve... not sure how that got started, but beers and mexican food with family... what could be better???

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Always do homemade mexican food all day throughout Christmas Eve... not sure how that got started, but beers and mexican food with family... what could be better???

Feliz Navidad!

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
As a kid my favorite thing was always singing with my mom (church choirs) at the candle light service. Christmas music has always been my favorite thing.
This year, I am just thankful I can listen to Christmas music without crying. :wubclub:

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
For every family/holiday get together we play games. At my mom's it is usually a card game of some sort. At my MIL's it varies from dominoes UNO, and whatnot. We get very competitive.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
As a kid my favorite thing was always singing with my mom (church choirs) at the candle light service. Christmas music has always been my favorite thing.
This year, I am just thankful I can listen to Christmas music without crying. :wubclub:

I can't say that it gets better​, but time softens it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Christmas Eve at Grandma & Grandpa's house with all the relatives. I'll probably get to attend next year for the first time in a while.

My wife would say - watching "Scrooge" (the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" ) before going to bed on Christmas Eve.

Along these line...I forgot that I'll be headed to my aunt's house for my dad's side of the family's Christmas gathering. As a kid, I looked forward to that all year - a chance to play with my cousins and compare sweet swag. Now, we're all grown up and spread out across the country. This year will be the first year in a long time that all of us (knock on wood) will be back for it.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Gaining weight from all the food. I wouldn't say it is my favorite tradition, but it is a tradition non the less

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
For every family/holiday get together we play games. At my mom's it is usually a card game of some sort. At my MIL's it varies from dominoes UNO, and whatnot. We get very competitive.

At ours, I am always amazed at how fast someone manages to clear off the tables and if you don't say anything you get left out of the game. We typically have a couple of games of swiss going and there is another card game going which I have no idea how it words but it can get pretty loud. After a while, a table will yell at another one for getting too loud but it is all in fun.