skladany

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
john skladany is the new defensive coordinator for the houston cougars.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
I would say that Steve Loney was a close second. When he was our O-line and O-coordinator we were much better then under Barney Cotton. After he left the players left seemed to regress.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I had my doubts about Skladany throughout the years, and couldn't stand the constant 10 yard cushion that recievers got regardless of down and distance, but after the defensive beating we gave Iowa in 2005, I was convinced that he was the best coach on the staff at the time. I still believe loney was the best assistant throughout the entire McCarney tenure though.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I know people (fans, etc.) that complained about Skladany and how we gave too much cushion and we didn't get enough sacks, but I thought he did a pretty good job with what he had for talent. It was kind of a bend-but-don't-break defense, but it kept us in a lot of games. In '04 and '05 we seemed to get a lot of turnovers, too. Just not sure why he'd leave Central Florida for Houston. Central Florida looks like a program on the rise.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
I was one of those guys who thought Skladany was a horrible coach and still do. The reason the defense was better in those years is we had probably the best talent on defense in the last 25-30 years. The bend but don't break defense broke way too many times.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I was one of those guys who thought Skladany was a horrible coach and still do. The reason the defense was better in those years is we had probably the best talent on defense in the last 25-30 years. The bend but don't break defense broke way too many times.

Our offense never gave the D a break. Remember the game at Mizzou in 05 when we spoted them 14 in the first Q from offensive turnovers. We came back and forced OT, or lost late in the 4th.
My point is the D never had a break the last 4 or so years and Skladany did a very good job.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
I'd vote for Loney, but always thought Skladany had to carry the ball for a terrible offense. Our defense was constantly put in impossible situations by the offense that simply couldn't string 2 first downs together when we really needed to.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I'd vote for Loney, but always thought Skladany had to carry the ball for a terrible offense. Our defense was constantly put in impossible situations by the offense that simply couldn't string 2 first downs together when we really needed to.

Loney is the correct answer. Skladany did a very good job, though. Best of luck to him.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Our offense never gave the D a break. Remember the game at Mizzou in 05 when we spoted them 14 in the first Q from offensive turnovers. We came back and forced OT, or lost late in the 4th.
My point is the D never had a break the last 4 or so years and Skladany did a very good job.

We came from 14 down to 10 up, 24-14. Then we blew the lead in the 4th quarter, the defense gave up the game-tying touchdown drive at the end of regulation (Chase Daniel subbing for the injured Brad Smith), and we screwed the pooch in OT.

The bend but don't break D also broke pretty sharply in the last drive of regulation against Kansas. Remember, we were up 21-14 with about a minute left, and KU drove down the field (again with their backup QB) and tied the game before another epic failure in OT.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I agree on Loney. He was the only 0-coordinator under Mac that showed any imagination and the only good offenses Mac had were under Loney as I remember it. Seneca seemed like a better qb under Loney. I think Skladany was ok, but his defenses weren't very loose and aggressive imo. We were almost always 11 statues on defense while the qb called signals, no stunting along the d-line or fake blitzes.

msadams82

Jan 23, 2008
skladany did a good job. i think he was able to get the most out of the talent at the time.

he was my position coach while i was a student manager there. and while he worked my butt of during the individual drills, he was a good coach that knew his x's and o's.

and he never gave up the chance to have some of the scout team guys come down and get their butts kicked running inside gaps.

and he was a pretty fun guy to be around.

go Sklad's!

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Loney was a good coach. I wonder how long he will stay at Drake.

Ummm, he is no longer the coach at Drake. It was truly a one year contract. Good for Drake. If I have one complaint about Loney is that he was always looking for his next job....

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Steve and his family were/are great, fun people to know. But I miss Skladany more so just because I miss my dad's rants about "f'in Skladany's D".

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Ummm, he is no longer the coach at Drake. It was truly a one year contract. Good for Drake. If I have one complaint about Loney is that he was always looking for his next job....

That is not true at all. The only reason he left Iowa State was, in his words, "so he could be the head coach here one day". That didn't work out, or at least hasn't yet. The Drake job was a favor to his friend, the AD at Drake. They both understood that it would be a one year gig. Nobody wants to be a coordinator their whole career, though.