Powerball at $500+ million

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How do some say you are too young to retire? Seriously?

With that much moolah, I'm fairly certain I'd be just fine!

That may be fun for a while, but I think I would desire the challenge of my job. Its not for the money, but rather something to do.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Philanthropy? Or is that bottom of the boot type stuff?

I'm going to guess Jack White and Meg probably don't need a ton of money, so I'm also not sure how that's going to work out.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
That may be fun for a while, but I think I would desire the challenge of my job. Its not for the money, but rather something to do.

Yeah, I can see myself missing it at times. However, i think i would try to start some new ventures. New businesses that I could help along. I cant imagine myself fixing my company's broken computer stuff anymore.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
with that much money i would buy 2 SEZs!!!!! :jiggy:

You could put one right in front of the other with the front one having huge screens on the back of it for the second one to watch the game on!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If I did I wouldn't go and tell everyone.

That's a little bit of a non-sequitur. He isn't asking if you'd be charitable and then brag about it, he was noting that you mentioned a lot of things there, but none of them were selfless. Even paying off your friends so they could retire was so that they could be at your traveling mercy. And that's totally your right, whatevs - he was just asking if you WOULD be charitable and just omitted it from your previous post.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
First, I would change my phone number(s). Then I would move to my favorite spot on the Pacific (Sea Ranch, CA) where I'll never shovel snow or roast in the summer sauna again. Probably would also buy a second house for guests so they could have their own place when visiting. I would give money to ISU for various things. The SEZ would be a nice project to contribute to, as would creating some scholarship endowments for various varsity teams to free up cash that could be used elsewhere. I would look into how much it would cost to move University Archives/Special Collections out of Parks Library and into its own new building on campus (they desperately need the space). I'd help my dad finish his mortgage so he doesn't have to work himself to death anymore. I would pay off whatever my two first cousins still owed for college. I'd get season tickets to the Giants and have a condo across the street from AT&T Park that I could use when there were home games. And I would enjoy the crap out of not working again a day in my life.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I would donate it all to Scientology so I could outrank Tom Cruise.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Nobody has said they would give some of it away to charities yet. Sad.

I like charities but that certainly isn't the first thing I'm doing with the money. Call me greedy but I'm having some fun, paying off debts, setting my family up, and then looking for ways to do good with the money.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
That's a little bit of a non-sequitur. He isn't asking if you'd be charitable and then brag about it, he was noting that you mentioned a lot of things there, but none of them were selfless. Even paying off your friends so they could retire was so that they could be at your traveling mercy. And that's totally your right, whatevs - he was just asking if you WOULD be charitable and just omitted it from your previous post.

I think I'd be charitable but not in a selfless way. Not as much through organizations that would decide how to spend it. I'd want to personally hand someone, after researching candidates, 100k..or if you want to help the starving in some random country, be there to tell them whatever you're giving them or setting up in their village. That'd be a blast.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I like charities but that certainly isn't the first thing I'm doing with the money. Call me greedy but I'm having some fun, paying off debts, setting my family up, and then looking for ways to do good with the money.

This makes sense.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think I'd be charitable but not in a selfless way. Not as much through organizations that would decide how to spend it. I'd want to personally hand someone, after researching candidates, 100k..or if you want to help the starving in some random country, be there to tell them whatever you're giving them or setting up in their village. That'd be a blast.

How much fun would it be to, say, take a few families off of those giving trees at Christmas (the ones where the people are so down on their luck that they can't afford gifts for the kids) and just surprise them with $100 grand?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron