Powerball at $500+ million

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
How much fun would it be to, say, take a few families off of those giving trees at Christmas (the ones where the people are so down on their luck that they can't afford gifts for the kids) and just surprise them with $100 grand?

That'd be amazing. The organizations would continue to help larger numbers, but I think when some random person goes out of their way to help a stranger, no matter how small, it affects them diffently than an organization. You can shake up their perspective about people, maybe inspire them.. you wouldn't help huge numbers, but could change the lives of a few families long after the money given is gone.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd teach for free or a lecturer's salary, which is about the same.

I've had a couple of scholarship ideas for a long time. I'd probably get those done as well. Maybe sponsor a couple of Jamaican Bible college students if they wanted to head off for seminary.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Buy a new house for me and one in the backyard for my wife and kids. My house would be big enough for a JTS scoreboard size tv

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Change our phone numbers

Meet with a lawyer/accountant so that the money we do giveaway would be a blessing and not a burden to them. (tax implications, etc)

Pay off our debt and immediate family debt/mortgages

Set up education funds for nieces/nephews

Help out some close friends that need it

Replace the car

Sit for three months to contemplate what we actually want to do
Build a new house and travel travel travel

Probsbly some schollys for ISU students in need

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
You know the scene in Forrest Gump when Forrest delivers the check to Bubba's momma and she passes out? It would be cool to get to do that for a family that struggles to make ends meet.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How much fun would it be to, say, take a few families off of those giving trees at Christmas (the ones where the people are so down on their luck that they can't afford gifts for the kids) and just surprise them with $100 grand?

That would be nice but giving shouldn't just happen because you win the lottery. For some people it's just naturally part of their lives.

I'd be more inclined to provide money to help people help themselves than just hand out cash. Yes it would feel good to just hand out money but there are better ways to change lives IMO.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I would give a bunch to charities and family's in need. Help family and close friends, fund SEZ project, scholly's in my wifes and I's name to help students, Volleyball only facility. I would keep half and give the other half away. I would take a charter bus to Chizik's house and we all get off the bus and when he opened his front door we all laugh at him wearing our Cyclone gear!! The wife and I would be set for life as I would talk to lawyers, investors, accountants, etc.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would give a bunch to charities and family's in need. Help family and close friends, fund SEZ project, scholly's in my wifes and I's name to help students, Volleyball only facility. I would keep half and give the other half away. I would take a charter bus to Chizik's house and we all get off the bus and when he opened his front door we all laugh at him wearing our Cyclone gear!! The wife and I would be set for life as I would talk to lawyers, investors, accountants, etc.
Bus? You cheap ***! You just won $500M, you can charter a 747 or two. With that kind of scratch you gotta start thinking bigger. But, yeah that would be hugely fun!

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Pay off my debt. Sell everything I own. Buy a motor home, pay someone to drive it, travel all over.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
I would bowl in the SEZ, bring back baseball at ISU, make sure I had way more than enough to live on, and give a lot to charity. Probs buy a plane, bunch of houses, someone to keep it all straight for me. :twitcy:

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
no one in my family would ever work again.

I would spend all winter on a yacht in the caribbean and summers on whatever golf courses I felt like playing.

the steve french south end zone at JTS would serve alcohol and there would be topless waitresses.

prior to each ISU football game there would be a flyover. 5 crop dusters in formation dropping cardinal and gold smoke. If you guys don't think this is a cool idea. well, suck it, I'm rich

my dog would eat better steaks than all of you on a daily basis. he would take them lightly peppered, medium rare

I'd mint my own commemorative coin.

There would be many alcohol induced blackouts. I would pay a stenographer to transcribe the events and then read them back to me in the morning.

I would troll TMZ, constantly stepping out of vehicles in short shorts without underpants. My bird on the cover of a magazine

I'd buy a lambo and go REAL fast.

**** savings. can't spend it when you're dead.

I'd make it rain at beach girls. probably only with $5's. those chicks are pretty greasy

I'd pay to fix stuart scott's cookie monster eye. because I'm tired of seeing close ups of that on ESPN

probably leave poo dollars in public places. because it'd be fun to watch poor people sacrifice getting poo on their hand for a dollar.

I'd pay someone to lobby getting rid of smart cars. those are just embarrassing.

shall I go on?

Reactions: besserheimerphat

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Create a political superpac,then waste the money on political ads and beer,not necessarily in that order.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Buy a Maserati and do 185. Lose my license and no longer drive. Buy a limo and ride in the back. Lock the doors in case I'm attacked. Live in hotels and tear out the walls. Have my accountants pay for it all.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That would be nice but giving shouldn't just happen because you win the lottery. For some people it's just naturally part of their lives.

I'd be more inclined to provide money to help people help themselves than just hand out cash. Yes it would feel good to just hand out money but there are better ways to change lives IMO.

We give all year long, but I don't currently have the funds to give away several hundred thousand dollars at one time. That was my point.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
after doing all the obvious lawyer stuff, I would pay off mine and my husband's student loans, pay off the rest of the contract on my parents' farm, and getting to leave the ******* relatives on the other end of it without the interest to live off of. Set up an endowment within my major at ISU to give away awesome scholarships for as long as ISU is still in existence. Lots of money to volleyball.
Travel to every country I want to visit and not skip the expensive attractions this time. Buy that Kate Spade wallet and Frye boots. Go shopping on Michigan Avenue. Take my husband to every Blackhawks and Bears game that he wants to go to. Go to whatever NASCAR race I want to watch.

Buy an awesome home and make babies.

And charity. But mostly local or not just straight through organizations. Think paying for the person's meal behind you in the drive-thru, but bigger and better. Like medical bills, or people who lose their homes. But I'll try to keep that more anonymous.

and after all that I'll probably have spent like $3 million.