***OFFICIAL: WEST VIRGINIA @ IOWA STATE GAME(DAY) THREAD***

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
whyy would you not sell out on run on that last first down run by wvirgina?!?!?!?!?!? I am sick our our safties being irrelevant when it matters.

This is my problem. It reminds me of Nebraska back in 2000. We knew they were going to run and throw occasionally, they kept running it down our throats, yet we kept lining up in base D. I understand for the most of the game, this Defense worked good, in the 4th quarter, there was no excuse for it and it sickens me that we didn't force them to pass by stacking the line with everyone we had.

I am not a coach, yeah, it's obvious, but seriously, you can't argue we had to sell out on the run for the last half of the 4th quarter and instead, they ran the ******* ball down our throats.

The good thing is, I feel so much better about our offense, it's crazy. I am impressed with how our offense has played this year. And boom, here we go again, offense has a good game and the D pisses it down it's leg.

I'm not calling for anyone's head, just voicing my frustrations. Why can't we put a complete game together that isn't Kansas this year. Solid D, good Offense.

TheSammo

Nov 23, 2012
Upsides to this game:
1. Fans stayed in it until the end and got louder in the 2nd half.
2. We have a QB who can make accurate passes, moves well, and can lead a sustained drive when it matters.
3. I'd rather we were going to the Holiday but now our bowl destination will be easier to get to - airfare to San Diego was gonna be $600+.
4. We saw a very exciting, memorable game that builds the character of the team.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Character is over-rated. Just win baby.

ISU football has character oozing out of its pores. I watched 12 years of Danny Mac trying to win by on 3 points so he could be "classy" in the good 'ol boys coaching club and get his next gig lined up. I've had decades of our basketball coaches being classy while Lawrence-resident referees give every call to our opponents(with exception of Johnny and Larry).
I want to win a bowl game and I want to win big time. Look at our last decade of bowls....all painfully close stressful messes, win or lose. I want to woodshed someone.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not understanding the "offense had a good game" crowd. Anyone care to explain this to me. 24 points against one of the worst defenses in the conference isn't cutting it.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'm not understanding the "offense had a good game" crowd. Anyone care to explain this to me. 24 points against one of the worst defenses in the conference isn't cutting it.
It certainly did not have a good enough game. The wind played a big part, but so did some huge self-inflicted wounds. Too many drops, a few needless flags, and of course the fumble. Play calling was ho-hum, but nothing not as bad as we have seen.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Looking for rule clarification here. The guy I was watching the game with and I were both surprised on the kick-off where our kickoff landed in the endzone, bounced, but no one from WVA attempted to go for the ball. I was always taught that unless the ball goes out of bounds, it's a free ball, but the refs blew it dead like it was a punt into the endzone. Is it an Auto touchback in the endzone? I always thought it was a free ball until someone took possession or it went out of bounds.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I thought Sam did fine......I always thought the KU game was just one of those exceptional performances (and what happens when you so dramatically change the paradigmn that the other teams' coaches have been prepping their players for).....but I still would have liked to seen Steel get a series to play tonight. Sam is not THAT much better, as evidenced by our loss. I still hope he gets snaps in the bowl game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Looking for rule clarification here. The guy I was watching the game with and I were both surprised on the kick-off where our kickoff landed in the endzone, bounced, but no one from WVA attempted to go for the ball. I was always taught that unless the ball goes out of bounds, it's a free ball, but the refs blew it dead like it was a punt into the endzone. Is it an Auto touchback in the endzone? I always thought it was a free ball until someone took possession or it went out of bounds.

I believe the ball is dead when in the end zone unless the receiving team touches it before it goes to the ground (see the UNI playoff game last year).

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
To the people blaming woody td there ties the game and west va probably goes down the field to get GW score anyway. So quit blaming woody for the loss.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
To the people blaming woody td there ties the game and west va probably goes down the field to get GW score anyway. So quit blaming woody for the loss.

^exactly correct. That defense in the second half was not going to prevent them from scoring with 4 minutes left or whatever. I don't think many are blaming any single event last night.....it was a general malaise and funk of suck that came over the team in the second half. Sweet Caroline, inability to cover a damn reciever ever which psychologically snowballs into a complete defensive surrender, I don't know??????

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron