What if...

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
What if Dan let Barney (or any other asst. coaches) go now, before the season is over, and tried to be proactive in his coaching decisions. Do you think that would save his job in the eyes of JP?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's a tough call because it would show some willingness on Mac's part to say that we have indeed not performed like we should. But I think that it would probably cause even more controversy for the general public and that it might guarantee that Mac is out at the end of the season. Like you said, it would be proactive but it's hard to make a case that you're being proactive after 12 years:)

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
Nope. He just gave a healthy heap of praise to Barney this past week, calling him one of the best o-coordinators in college, and it appears that his head's too far up his *** to realize a change is needed.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
After 12 years we should be able to win more than 3 out of 9 games, no matter how tough the schedule. Mac's recruiting has really fallen off the last few years and the proof is just how badly this season has gone. Oh well basketball is around the corner, and Jamie Pollard will be left to deal with this mess of a football program.

Come on Clones Upset Kansas we need anyking of a win right about now!!:wink0st:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hope Pollard keeps Mac, but it's a foregone conclusion that some heads are going to roll. I think they would with or without Pollard's input. Mac like losing less than anyone. I'm not sure what went wrong, or who's to blame, but I'll trust Pollard and Mac to make those decisions.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
here is what I think should happen: Mac should send JS and Cotton away, then take a pay cut to $500,000 and take half of that pay cut and use it to hire some very good asst. coaches. Can't see it happening, but Mac looks way over paid at $500K.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I hope Pollard keeps Mac, but it's a foregone conclusion that some heads are going to roll. I think they would with or without Pollard's input. Mac like losing less than anyone. I'm not sure what went wrong, or who's to blame, but I'll trust Pollard and Mac to make those decisions.

Why do you hope that ADJP keeps DM? I keep looking for upside to DM right now, but I honestly just don't see any. Despite being given more resources than any ISU FB coach in the last 25 years, 1) recruiting class rankings are down, 2) the players are not motivated and are playing poorly, 3) game time coaching has never been more than average, 4) the team is not competitive in the Big 12, 5) the fan base is dividing because of him.

What upside does he have?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He is Dan the Man, quick with a quip, upbeat, polite, sincere to a certain point, the dean, the hope, the face of Clone football, the bowlmeister, the one who smoozes the best, and a great guy making a million. His upside is he can win more in 2008 and 2009 than this year if we can suffer through next year.

I must honestly say we have have not fully been blown out of a game yet. That may happen in one of the last three games.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006

What have you seen that makes you want to keep the current head coach???

The fact that after 12 years we are no closer, possibly even further away from being a competitive program in a major conference.

The fact that we haven't won as a true underdog in 12 years.

The fact that in a bad year for the Big 12 North, we missed golden opportunities to take a giant leap forward. (In fact had Mac won the games last year that he should have won, this conversation wouldn't even be taking place)

The fact that we have already been passed by our "rivals" to the West (even though they are NOT good) in three years.

The fact that this team plays, and acts like a dog that has been beaten too much. Except that it never bites anyone.

Or all of the above. Oh well, bring on the negative rep points.

Last edited:

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006

Fool me once (Marty Fine) shame on you (Mac), Fool me twice (Barney Cotton) shame on me. If any heads roll, it has to start with Mac this time. Otherwise believe in Mac's entire staff.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I never thought I'd hear myself say thas, but it's probably time to cut our losses and let Dan go. Injuries have played a bigger part in this season than in recent years, but that doesn't account for some pretty pathetic game-day coaching decisions. I admire Coach Mac and the job he has done here, but it seems that we might have reached the acme of his sucess. As with Johnny in BB, he pulled us out of the depths to some respectability, now maybe it's time for someone else to take the program to the next level. With a new, inspired AD and a fairly decent returning class, (not to mention a frosh QB with 4 yrs. left that is the real deal), it could make this job more attrative to some coaches with a lot of upside. Dan is a true Cyclone in every sense of the word, and I'll hate to see him go, but I'm really tired of mediocrity.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

The fact that after 12 years we are no closer, possibly even further away from being a competitive program in a major conference.

The fact that we haven't won as a true underdog in 12 years.

The fact that in a bad year for the Big 12 North, we missed golden opportunities to take a giant leap forward. (In fact had Mac won the games last year that he should have won, this conversation wouldn't even be taking place)

The fact that we have already been passed by our "rivals" to the West (even though they are NOT good) in three years.

The fact that this team plays, and acts like a dog that has been beaten too much. Except that it never bites anyone.

Or all of the above.

AMEN! GAME, SET, MATCH!!!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

The fact that after 12 years we are no closer, possibly even further away from being a competitive program in a major conference.[/quote]
Do you really believe that? Were you around for the previous 12 years? I can understand where you would have plenty of arguments to make, but that, my friend, couldn't be farther from the truth. ISU didn't look like it belonged on the field with virtually anyone they played. It took a highly motivated effort to beat average teams, and good teams simply trounced them. So make all the arguments that you want, but that one doesn't fly.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
What if Dan let Barney (or any other asst. coaches) go now, before the season is over, and tried to be proactive in his coaching decisions. Do you think that would save his job in the eyes of JP?

Why would any good OC or DC want to come to ISU under the current conditions that exsist. Mac lets a cordinator go this year and saves his job, but if he does not turn it around next year everybody is gone when JP cleans house including the new cordinator, who will get one and done. The only cordinator that will be willing to take on the job are those let go somewhere else and that is how we got BC.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's All or Nothing

Last time I looked Mac is the head coach & the buck stops at his doorstep. If ISU wins he gets the lions share of the credit through hefty pay raises. Likewise if ISU loses he needs to take the blame- it can't always fall on his assistants.

Mac will not be able to hire replacements that would be better than the assistants he would fire. No QUALITY assistant coach is going to jump at a job that might only last 1 year. If they're good they'll get offers that will offer them & their families more stability.

If JP decides Mac shouldn't be fired, then he shouldn't pressure Mac to get rid of any assistant coaches. Afterall the assistants do much of the recruiting.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Nope, I think his ship is already sailed and I don't know how he saves his job at this point.