First bar you went to at ISU

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
When I was in school they did not allow bars within one mile of campus as that was a stipulation of Mary Greeley when she donated the money for the hospital. This helped keep me in shape as I didn't have a car. Within eight years after I graduated they changed the policy figuring that since Mary had been dead for many years, she probably wouldn't mind enough to ask for her money back so they allowed bars closer to campus.

If you wanted to buy hard liquor you had to drive to Nevada for the closest state liquor store. When I was a freshman and sophmore, you had to have a state-issued liquor book where they recorded each of your purchases. At least that was changed before I turned 21.

The state liquor stores were open from 10:00 to 7:00. That caused the state to pay their employees two hours overtime so they decided to close the stores two hours earlier, in spite of the fact that most working people would not be able to make it. Fortunately somebody batted them severely about the head and shoulders and they opened two hours later instead.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Minor- Deans list

Legal- Cy's

The bar in the basement of DL was a good hang out spot (I forgot the name). There always seemed to be a football player or basketball player there too.

Last edited:

trueclone2

May 18, 2007
Ames
1st Ames bar that I remember was Honky Dory's if that is the correct name it was a country bar then. It was also the easiest to get into at the time.

WAS is still favorite.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I think mine was Honky Dory's. That's sad.

I still pine for Welch's. I spend 3 nights a week there my entire Junior year.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
No but i remember dudes trying to drop a duece in that bathroom. Does anyone else remember how small it was with 2 urinals, and one crapper WITHOUT A DOOR.:eek: It was kinda awkward cause you walk in and turn the corner and there is a stranger sitting on the john.

Guilty as charged... Sometimes I was having so much fun I just didn't want to leave to do the 'duty'

I spent ALOT of time at the DL and fortunately very little money...

jkeppy

Apr 12, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
Whiskey River - It was the perfect place for underage consumption.

Lumpy's was the first stop at 21, only because some buds were regulars there. A lot of funny stories started with, "Dude, we were at Lumpy's and..."

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
First stop would have been Cy's Roost. I was a freshman in Friley so Welch avenue was the easiest. Drinking age was 18.
Spent a lot of time in the Cave Inn also. When I moved off campus, to 519 Welch, I"d stop at The Library and split a pitcher with my roommate every day after class. For some reason people liked going to Granddaddy's also.
Wow, those were the days. Pizza at Minsky's on weekends. :yes: I should have never left college.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Lumpy's was the first stop at 21, only because some buds were regulars there. A lot of funny stories started with, "Dude, we were at Lumpy's and..."

I might have been one of them, depending on the year. If it was 2000-2001, and Lumpy's was open, chances are I was there.

Got shmammered with Eustacy one Wednesday or Thursday night. I don't remember hardly any of it.