Who will step up on offense tomorrow

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I have seen Jarvis West making better catches and getting open down field the last few games. I think he may have a great game. I also think that James White will get his hundy.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
the whole offense steps up

seriously we dont need one or two players to step up we need a team effort and that is what we lacked against TT sure the defense did theyre part but this game we need everyone on offense to step up not just Jantz not just white or johnson but everyone.

Last edited:

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
The entire offense is going to step up and it is going to start with the offensive line. That is going to allow our
RBs to get the running game going and then Jantz is going to have plenty of time to make plays with his arm.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Steele steps up and leads the Cyclones to a season to remember the rest of the way. The big 12 is even enough this year to be the year of the cyclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well one thing about it, I have lots to choose from, because the offense didn't even show up for the TT game. I will go with S. Johnson, he has not been as dynamic as I was hoping for all year, maybe now is his time to shine.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've been very critical of this offense as most of you are well aware. But the good thing is that I don't think the fixes are really all that difficult.

1. The most important thing we have to do is eliminate turnovers. We need to have 1 or less turnovers this week if we want to win. Get the running game going with White and S. Johnson, and then work in some short passes in the passing game. But tell Steele that he basically shouldn't throw it to anyone unless they are wide open. If nothing is there, throw it away. Let this outstanding defense of ours enable us to win the field position battle.

2. Find ways to get the ball into the hands of our best weapons.... White, Johnson, Jarvis West, Nealy, and Horne. I'd like to see us get West and Nealy the ball in the run game somehow on the edges. Bring them in motion and hand them the ball going around the end. These guys can all break it for a TD at any time anywhere. But they aren't big WR's, so it would be best to get the ball to them on short passes, screens, and running plays somehow. Take the pressure off of Steele to make plays all by himself, and get the ball into these guys hands and let them make plays with their feet.

3. This goes back to #1, but punting is not a bad option for us. We have a great punter. Punts are 100 times better than turnovers. Pin them back and let our defense make plays for us.

4. More up tempo stuff. The faster we play, the better it seems to me. We can't go jet tempo all the time, but I haven't seen it in quite a while it seems? I like gassing the defense and keeping them from getting set defensively before the snap. However, this can work against you too if you go 3 and out all the time and the defense is back on the field immediately.

5. Don't be afraid to bench Steele if he comes out and isn't playing well. Barnett will be back in his home state and hopefully will have something to prove. If we have to bring in JB and go with the running game, so be it. It's better than throwing it to the other team all the time.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
I've been very critical of this offense as most of you are well aware. But the good thing is that I don't think the fixes are really all that difficult.

1. The most important thing we have to do is eliminate turnovers. We need to have 1 or less turnovers this week if we want to win. Get the running game going with White and S. Johnson, and then work in some short passes in the passing game. But tell Steele that he basically shouldn't throw it to anyone unless they are wide open. If nothing is there, throw it away. Let this outstanding defense of ours enable us to win the field position battle.

2. Find ways to get the ball into the hands of our best weapons.... White, Johnson, Jarvis West, Nealy, and Horne. I'd like to see us get West and Nealy the ball in the run game somehow on the edges. Bring them in motion and hand them the ball going around the end. These guys can all break it for a TD at any time anywhere. But they aren't big WR's, so it would be best to get the ball to them on short passes, screens, and running plays somehow. Take the pressure off of Steele to make plays all by himself, and get the ball into these guys hands and let them make plays with their feet.

3. This goes back to #1, but punting is not a bad option for us. We have a great punter. Punts are 100 times better than turnovers. Pin them back and let our defense make plays for us.

4. More up tempo stuff. The faster we play, the better it seems to me. We can't go jet tempo all the time, but I haven't seen it in quite a while it seems? I like gassing the defense and keeping them from getting set defensively before the snap. However, this can work against you too if you go 3 and out all the time and the defense is back on the field immediately.

5. Don't be afraid to bench Steele if he comes out and isn't playing well. Barnett will be back in his home state and hopefully will have something to prove. If we have to bring in JB and go with the running game, so be it. It's better than throwing it to the other team all the time.

6. The offensive tackles step up by blocking on pass plays more than the 2 seconds they did last game, especially right tackle. Same with the tight ends when they need to get that chip on the guy before going out on their route.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
clonedude had some great points - however - failed to mention the most important item.

Offensive line.

If that group can't drastically improve - nothing else matters.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
6. The offensive tackles step up by blocking on pass plays more than the 2 seconds they did last game, especially right tackle.
And Steele is actually going to step up in the pocket...not compromise their efforts with his innate desire to turn and run up-field into the edge rusher.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron