Tempelton Rye

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
is available in Colorado now. Woot! Just acquired my first bottle. Gonna make some terrible decisions this weekend because of it.

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
is available in Colorado now. Woot! Just acquired my first bottle. Gonna make some terrible decisions this weekend because of it.

Congrats....although I really don't see what the big deal is about Templeton. Not worth the money to me.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Pendeltons is terrible. I would rather drink diesel fool. Tempelton is best when the assumption that bad decisions are going to be made, and to just let them happen.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Specific brand of port? And why is it named typewriter? Do you have that skill after drinking one?

Templeton Typewriter
------------------------
2oz templeton
1oz tawny port
1/2oz maple syrup
3 dashes angostura bitters

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Some buddies and I did a blind taste testing with whiskey awhile back. We had Maker's Mark, Gentlemen Jack, Jim Beam Rye, Cedar Ridge, and Templeton Rye. I think there was one more that I cant remember. Anyhow, one friend had the "bartending" duties. He had rocks glasses that were numbered and he poured some of each whiskey in each glass. Only he knew which number corresponded to which whiskey. We had to sample each and rank them. I remember when it was my turn, one of them was distinctly my favorite, and one was distinctly my least favorite, and then the middle of the pack was a bit tougher to rate. After each whiskey was revealed, my favorite was the Templeton. And actually, it won with my other 2 friends who participated in the sampling.
So, in our little experiment, we showed that there really is more to Templeton Rye than just the "branding" and back story. Sometimes that stuff can trick the mind.

Oh yeah, my least favorite was the Beam Rye.

weeb2k1

Jun 10, 2010
Annapolis
Some buddies and I did a blind taste testing with whiskey awhile back. We had Maker's Mark, Gentlemen Jack, Jim Beam Rye, Cedar Ridge, and Templeton Rye. I think there was one more that I cant remember. Anyhow, one friend had the "bartending" duties. He had rocks glasses that were numbered and he poured some of each whiskey in each glass. Only he knew which number corresponded to which whiskey. We had to sample each and rank them. I remember when it was my turn, one of them was distinctly my favorite, and one was distinctly my least favorite, and then the middle of the pack was a bit tougher to rate. After each whiskey was revealed, my favorite was the Templeton. And actually, it won with my other 2 friends who participated in the sampling.
So, in our little experiment, we showed that there really is more to Templeton Rye than just the "branding" and back story. Sometimes that stuff can trick the mind.

Oh yeah, my least favorite was the Beam Rye.

The problem with this taste test is that you compared apples to oranges. Whiskey is not whiskey, and you mixed bourbon with rye, and while both are whiskey, they are completely different in flavor. Bourbon, being derived from corn is a much sweeter whiskey, while rye is dry. Its like comparing a lager to an ale, sure they are both beers, but that about where comparisons end. you can rationalize it, and claim that its proof that it is a superior whiskey, but all it proves is that, in your opinions, you liked it better. on top of that, if you have any taste for whiskey you would be able to pick out a rye, especially a half way decent rye (which the beam is not) from the bourbons.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist