Do not call list?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Does that thing even work anymore? I am getting tons of non political sales calls. I got on this morning by a company trying to sell me health insurance.

When did it become ok to bother people at home with sales pitches?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Its worked for me so far. I still get alot of the local BS from the firefighters and crap like that asking for money. Those actually annoy me more.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
I get many non-political surveys. I always request to be put on a non-call list. One company out of Texas told me that as long as they didn't sell me anything they weren't covered under the "do not call" rules.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Does that thing even work anymore? I am getting tons of non political sales calls. I got on this morning by a company trying to sell me health insurance.

When did it become ok to bother people at home with sales pitches?
here's what I do:
1-when they call ask them to tell me again who they are as "i didn't understand who it was calling."
2-Ask for a phone number just in case we get disconnected.
3-After I get that info I ask them if they checked the national do not call registry prior to calling my house. This is always interesting in terms of answers they provide while fumbling for the manual on what to say...
4-Ask them to make certain that I am not called again or I will file a report with the feds. Those reports are VERY costly for them to respond to and almost always come with fines for them to pay so they are typically very responsive.

I would double check to make certain that you name and number are still registered on the DNC list.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Pick up the phone and hold down a key. It will sound like its a fax number that isnt functioning.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
I get many non-political surveys. I always request to be put on a non-call list. One company out of Texas told me that as long as they didn't sell me anything they weren't covered under the "do not call" rules.

That is my understanding also. Now they just "gather information" by surveys and whch makes you more of a specific advertising target in all the other ways to sell to you (mail, internet, emails, etc)

I usually just answer and ask them to hang on a minute I need to switch phones and then lay the phone down and walk away. I check back later and they have hung up. I figure it takes some time that they aren't bothering someone else. Imagine what would happen if we all did that. :wink:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yes - you do have to renew yourself on the DNC every couple years.

Charities and political groups are exempt. Companies that you have "an established business relationship" are also exempt. Namely your mortgage company, credit cards - most anyplace you've done business.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
ISU is one of the worse people at calling to.

I like to answer the phone and when they ask for me or my wife i give the phone to my 18 month old, she loves to talk on the phone.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
University of Iowa used to call our house asking for Alumni money. It drove me nuts.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I got a call from ISU shortly after I graduated asking me for a $500 donation. I hadn't even found a job yet, but they kept at it, eventually getting down to requesting $50 even after I had repeatedly told them I didn't have any money to give. I've moved twice and changed phones about 5 times since I graduated, so I haven't received a phone call from them since then.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Also if you have a business phone number listed in a phone book you are pretty much excluded from the list and anyone can call you

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Caller ID is nice - it's easy to ignore 800 numbers and political calls because they show up as such. We for the most part just pick up the local numbers. However, just the fact that the phone rings all the time is pretty annoying.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
If they call me I try to seel them something and they hang up, politicians, I just tell them I " No Speaka English", and when a spanish guy comes on , I say "Ich nicht spanish sprechen". They usually hang up them. So far no calls yet