The price of slow-pitch softballs

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
So I went to Sports Authority last week to look at softballs for our upcoming season and the price has skyrocketed from like $4.99 (last year) to $7.99 per ball! WTH happened? I plan to buy a box of a dozen of them somehwhere but nearly $8.00 per ball seems pretty outlandish to me. It is the same ball too, not like they are different in any way, shape or form. Anyone have suggestions for a fellow Fanatic?

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
So I went to Sports Authority last week to look at softballs for our upcoming season and the price has skyrocketed from like $4.99 (last year) to $7.99 per ball! WTH happened? I plan to buy a box of a dozen of them somehwhere but nearly $8.00 per ball seems pretty outlandish to me. It is the same ball too, not like they are different in any way, shape or form. Anyone have suggestions for a fellow Fanatic?

Supply is down. The weather in Equatorial Guinea where the balls are grown was not conducive to good yields.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Doc

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Supply is down. The weather in Equatorial Guinea where the balls are grown was not conducive to good yields.

This, plus add in the political unrest that the area has expierienced lately causing strain on import exports. It looks like until we see a switch in power we will be paying nearly double on balls throughout the summer. Quick look at the futures market is showing even higher prices as we move into fall.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
This, plus add in the political unrest that the area has expierienced lately causing strain on import exports. It looks like until we see a switch in power we will be paying nearly double on balls throughout the summer. Quick look at the futures market is showing even higher prices as we move into fall.

You are all hilarious

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

PM me I can get you in contact with someone who refurbishes found softballs and are much cheaper some are almost like new.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194-580.gif

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA

I hope this true since I have a lot of lettuce invested in the softball futures market. However, I believe in diversification so I've also got some money in field hockey sticks.

• Funny
Reactions: 3GenClone

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Ya, a quick google search will get you some charting info

a nice strategy you could take to protect yourself against softball futures prices is to buy a put option so you can short the underlying futures price and offset the risen prices

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Ya, a quick google search will get you some charting info

This. In the past couple years, December has seen a high price range. This is mostly due to the weather being cyclical. During cyclical periods, such as this year, softball activity is increased in the summer and decreased in the winter.

Inconsistencies appear in your typical supply/demand chart.

With this model, and a few calculations, it appears you should have gotten your best price point on March 14th. It appears if you hold out until mid July (preferably July 18th) prices should see a steady drop that week.

PM me if you need any more calculations, I should be able to get you close to exact prices day over day.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I think we hit "peak" soft ball production last year. You should really find an alternative softball to use. Prices will only climb in the future.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I recommend buying for the long term. In 30 years you will get allot of your investment.

You may not even need to retire.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Not sure why I even bothered trying.

Originally Posted by mike4cy

PM me I can get you in contact with someone who refurbishes found softballs and are much cheaper some are almost like new.