Charges

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Has this been discussed here at all?
I have no stats to back this up but it seems like we get a ton of charge calls against us and hardly ever have any called against our opponents. Why the discrepancy? I really don't think it is officiating.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Ha..the one last night called on Booker I think was completely ridiculous. He had passed the ball and almost come to a complete stop and that ogre leaned into him and then flopped.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
We really haven't been in position to take the charges, and there are only a few that I can remember that should have been and weren't. I think Royce just gets them because he is so big and aggressive that the refs believe a lot of the flops are real.

I honestly feel that opponents get away with charging into Royce as well because he is so much bigger than them. A good example would be last night with maybe 5 mins left in the game J'Covan Brown rammed into Royce, Royce got knocked a step back, Brown rammed Royce again and took a shot. Royce was called for a foul. Brown definitely lowered his shoulder both times. I'm no ref, but from what I understand that meets all the technical categories of a charge.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I honestly feel that opponents get away with charging into Royce as well because he is so much bigger than them. A good example would be last night with maybe 5 mins left in the game J'Covan Brown rammed into Royce, Royce got knocked a step back, Brown rammed Royce again and took a shot. Royce was called for a foul. Brown definitely lowered his shoulder both times. I'm no ref, but from what I understand that meets all the technical categories of a charge.

Should have been a no call. RW did not jump and was straight up, JB was leaning/jumping forward. Clean play by RW.

I really felt, at times, like i was watching a european soccer match. I would have thought our players were ***** smacking texas by the way they were flailing their arms all night. They must have watched some Reggie Miller game film before the game.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
IMO, this team just doesn't have a lot of quickness compared to some of the teams in the Big 12. It's a team with a lot of skilled shooters and big men who rely more on positioning and strength than athleticism. Not a lot of guys who are real fast off the dribble to go around guys or super quick to rotate and draw a charge.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It has. Turns out a few weeks before the start of every season all the MBB officials get together for a retreat to discuss and workshop all the different ways to screw over ISU basketball. Charging was at the top of this year's agenda. Good eye.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
A few weeks before the season starts, Gonzo and fellow Hocks get together. After they circle-jerk under the poster of Fran, they workshop all the different ways to troll ISU websites.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
If I were Royce I would be thinking "Do I want to come back for one more year of basketball in a league where every single player flops whenever I touch the ball in the lane?"

UPClone

Dec 4, 2011
Grand Prairie, TX
Seems like charges are up all over....You might get recruited if you can flop well, can lead to quite a few turnovers for the other team. I don't know if it was a point of emphasis or what, but a lot of charges are getting called when the defensive player is even falling before he is touched...pretty sad.

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
The reason we don't take any charges is because our help defense is bad. If there's one thing I think we need to work on for the tournament, it's help defense.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I can't read about charges without thinking of this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg]dook's (duke's) Greg Paulus flops (better quality) - YouTube[/ame]