name 10 replacements for Mac

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
go on and name 10 replacements for Mac or any of the other coaches defense or offense.

curious if anybody can do that.
I see alot of people quick to say fire Mac and Cotton but no one naming a list of people better for the job and available

keep in mind they have to take us to the next level.

how many of you are going to buy season tickets and use them for every game which will most likely be loss ie what Colorado and Kansas State are going through. losing to 1-AA teams and Baylor at home.

oh yeah how are the lousy seasons going to bring in sponsors for stadium renovations that needs to be explained as well

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just to kick off the discussion:
Mark Farley of UNI (little engine that could)
Steve Loney of Texas (great recruiter)
Chris Peterson of Boise State (six years of perfection)
Mick Denehy of Montana (why not beat Colorado)
Terry Bowden sportscaster(smart dude)
Turner Gill of Buffalo (love to beat the Huskers like Barney)
Houston Nutt of Arkansas (he was a one game wonder)
Craig ver Steeg of Rutgers (team is doing well)
Jeff Casteel of West Virginia (wonderful possibility)
Bill Young of Kansas (steal from the local neighborhood?)
Paul Petrino of Louisville (brother is head coach)

Houston Chronicle sportswriter Mickey Herskowitz passes along this story about those two NFL coaching icons, George Halas and Vince Lombardi:
One recalls the story of George Allen, who was hired off the staff of George Halas in Chicago to coach the Los Angeles Rams. Halas was furious that the Rams failed to ask for his permission and threatened to take Allen to court. At a league meeting after the issue was resolved, Halas used the occasion to vent his anger at his former defensive coach.
"George Allen," Halas said, "is a man with no conscience. He is dishonest, deceptive, ruthless, consumed with his own ambition."
At that point, Vince Lombardi leaned over to the owner of the Rams and whispered, "Sounds to me like you've got yourself a helluva football coach."

Last edited:

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Pretty solid list but I highly doubt that Chris Petersen and Houston Nutt are going to take a demotion and come to Iowa State. Petersen saw what happenned to Hawkins when he bolted for Colorado and Arkansas is a much better football program than Iowa State, plus they play in the best conference in college football.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Let's hire Frank Solich of Ohio...fired from Nebraska for "only" winning 9 games. Would he coach again in the Big 12? What would you do if you had a shot at biting the hand that fired you?

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Let's hire Frank Solich of Ohio...fired from Nebraska for "only" winning 9 games. Would he coach again in the Big 12? What would you do if you had a shot at biting the hand that fired you?

Why not? Then he could have another coach of character too like LE... (for those who missed it, he got a DUI at Ohio, passed out in his car going the wrong way on a one way street)

clonestotop

Aug 7, 2006
Do you guys not remember what happened last time we hired a coach Nebraska fired? His name was Barney "Bleepin" Cotton. Look how that has turned out as half of you, including myself, are calling for his head. Solich would be a terrible hire. He would not fit in for what Iowa State fans are looking for. Yes he did get fired after going 9-3. But lets be honest, it was 9-3 with far superior players than ISU has. And he showed he can't recruit with the big boys. I really dont see to many guys out there willing to come to isu that would be any better than MAC. Texas D coordinator would be a nice hire

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Let's all be realistic here. You may not have heard of them but these guys are nails:

1. Frank Beamer
2. Urban Meyer
3. Kirk Ferentz (Even though he is gay)
4. Pete Carrol
5. Steve Spurrier
6. Tommy Tuberville
7. Charlie Weis
8. Bobby Stoops
9. Rush Propst
10. Frank Beamer's Goiter

And I would trade them all for UT's budget.

Gimmee a break. Hiring is a crap shoot unless you can outbid. remeber when we all that Ferentz was a mistake?

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
not saying we cant do better than mac but I want to know who they are.
look at Kansas State and Colorado they are having lousy seasons after hiring new coach it always seems to happen team gets new coach and sucks for 2 years. some do good then go down hill.

wonder what Uconns coach could do with ISU's facilities never forget that damned ISU vs Uconn game.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I'd take Gene Chizek (spelling) the defensive coordinator for Texas and previously Auburn

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Why not? Then he could have another coach of character too like LE... (for those who missed it, he got a DUI at Ohio, passed out in his car going the wrong way on a one way street)

Solich orginally plead no contest to the DUI only to contest it 6 months later on the claim that someone slipped him some roofies, the judge didn't buy that claim.

Turner Gill has too much class to want to beat the Huskers like Barney does. I was listening to Jon Miller the other day and someone called in with ties to LSU and said, FWIW, Bo Pelini is obsessed with returning to the Big 12 and beating Nebraska.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Might want to take a look at that "bad" season K-State is having. Is it bad because they struggled to beat a 1-AA team? So did we, and if you look at their record they are 4-2 (1-1), we are 3-3 (0-2). Hmm, they are having a bad season! And I'm pretty sure Colorado's troubles started way before Dan Hawkins was hired, they talked about firing Barnett for 3 years and dug a hole for themselves, I don't want us to dig back into the hole Coach Mac got us out of.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Normand Choy USC old OC
Virginia Tech DC don't know his name
Rutgers coach he is good
Al Saunders probably can afford him

Did you just suggest Norm Chow? He is now the OC for the Titans...I just don't see him stepping down from the NFL to coach the Iowa State Cyclones...he's looking for a HC job in the NFL.

I just wonder who we would be able to attract here. That's not a slam on us at all. I keep thinking about hiring a Head MBB coach after LE's thing. Mid-major HC's were turning us down...and that was after we had won a couple of conference championships!!! And then we "settled" for WM...and we all know how that worked out.

Is anyone nervous that this may happen in FB? Or do you just assume we can hire another Kirk Ferentz?

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
go on and name 10 replacements for Mac or any of the other coaches defense or offense.

curious if anybody can do that.
I see alot of people quick to say fire Mac and Cotton but no one naming a list of people better for the job and available

keep in mind they have to take us to the next level.

how many of you are going to buy season tickets and use them for every game which will most likely be loss ie what Colorado and Kansas State are going through. losing to 1-AA teams and Baylor at home.

oh yeah how are the lousy seasons going to bring in sponsors for stadium renovations that needs to be explained as well

I've bought season tickets for nearly 20 years ever since I was a student at ISU. I skipped a couple of seasons because I was living out of state. Here is a list of names.

1. Steve Loney - Ex ISU. Wants to be a head coach. Has NFL experience.
2. Jon Cooper - Alum of ISU and the Dirty Thirty. Won at Tulsa and ASU and OSU. Just couldn't beat Michigan. I would take his winning percentage over Mac any day.
3. Bo Pelini - Defensive coordinator. I would imagine he would enjoy the opportunity to coach in the Big Twelve.
4. Gary Patterson - TCU. His wife has Iowa ties. A step up to the Big Twelve would suit him fine. He would also bring recruiting ties to Texas.
5. Mike Price - UTEP. Might be an iffy pick given his 'incident' at Alabama. No one can question his coaching ability however.
6. Greg Schiano - Rutgers. Talk about a turnaround. He has Rutgers! ranked for the first time in my lifetime. Talk all you want about the Big East, he has brought a program back from the dead.
7. Dennis Erickson - Idaho. Proven winner with NFL coaching experience. Brings name recognition.
8. Bobby Elliot - Iowa ties. Downside here is his attachment to the University of Iowa. Been there done that.
9. Joe Glenn - Wyoming.
10. Jeff Tedford - California. Unlikely we could pull him away from Cal, but I can dream.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I see a lot of..."this team looks good this year so lets hire their coach".

Head coaches are not the only individual that composes a team. It takes assistants, players, misc, personnel, etc.

So you just can't say, "well Rutgers looks good, lets get that guy!"

Fortunately for Cyclone fans, Pollard is not that foolish and simple-minded.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I always thought Greg Schiano would be a good replacement, and not just because he has Rutgers ranked. I remember last year during a pre-game bowl interview, he stated without flinching that "Our goal is to win the National Championship." I chuckled and figuratively patted him on the head when I heard that, but, my GOD, he's going to attain that goal at a quicker pace than any other team out there if Rutgers goes from a nobody to a ranked team in this short of timespan.