Big trouble in Iowa City

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Below is a chronology of events that have taken place since the alleged sexual assault took place in Iowa City. I have no inside information, but I can't help but feel that this incident is going to grow into a major scandal, especially when the truth comes out about what the university administration actually knew, when they knew it, and what they did (or chose not to do) about it. It will make the actual crime seem like a minor part of the whole mess.

Whatever is alleged to have happened occurred between 2:00 and 6:00 a.m. the morning of October 14.

Later that day, October 14, the UI Department of Public Safety received a "rape kit" from the UI Hospitals.

On October 23 two Hawkeye football players, whom Register sources say may have been with the complainant during the time in question, were removed from active participation on the team. The athletic program refused to provide any explanation at that time (or since, so far as I know) for their removal.

At 4:13 p.m. on November 5 a woman who wanted to report an assault "about three weeks ago" to the Iowa City Police was referred to the Campus Police.

By 4:50 p.m. that day, November 5, a report was received by the UI Department of Public Safety.

On November 7 that report became public. Department Director Chuck Green has been quoted as saying, "I assure you, before Nov. 7, we didn't know about this . . .."

On Wednesday, November 14, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation agents joined Campus Police in searches of some Hillcrest dormitory rooms.

On Friday, November 16, five search warrants were sealed by Johnson County Judge Amanda Potterfield.

On Saturday, November 17, two of the Hawkeye football players whose room was searched (one of whom was earlier suspended from the team for drunken driving and later reinstated) both suited up for the Western Michigan game.​

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would expect that all DSM Rag references associated with Kirkie on this story, should begin "the state's highest paid employee".

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Somebody had to know something, because we began to hear rumors about this shortly after it (Oct 14) happened.

If people on message boards knew the names and the outline of the incident 3-4 weeks ago, someone had to have known in the administration. If for some ridiculous reason they didn't, then I would venture there will even be a bigger problem with the administration.

In that linked blog, he questions why the press outlets haven't been all over this before. This hit the national news before it hit the rag. I saw it on CNN at the Detroit Airport before it was on the rags website. This is intriguing, as we all know the press is usually overzealous in reporting this (Pierre Pierce, the incidents here at ISU, Duke, etc)

Bottom line is that the average Joe (anyone with access to YouTube) knew the more about the incident and even the names of the accused WEEKS before anything is heard from the university OR the press.

If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat....

I would not be surprised if this incident could lead to a coaching change with the help of their subpar season.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
I would expect that all DSM Rag references associated with Kirkie on this story, should begin "the state's highest paid employee".

I think that only applies if he was drinking Natty Lite.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
There were MANY people who knew about this incident weeks before an official investigation was conducted. I have a feeling it won't be just a coach who falls on his sword over this. If this thing hits the fan like I think it may, you could see some casualties outside of the football program. Just a feeling - nothing more.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, this has been a story for a while now. I cannot believe that the administration there didn't know.

Iowa has major problems, they need to clean house or this will continue to happen. It is a culture over there that cannot just be changed by saying it will be so, there has to be teeth behind it or it will never stick.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
In my mind, the issue goes far beyond just what people did, even if they did what they were supposed to do, by school policy. Why is the school policy designed in such a way that the school has so much control over what happens?

It sounds like to me, by reading the way things are set up, that unless the victim decides to go to the police, the school can pretty much know that a rape occurred, and is obliged to do nothing about it. To me, that's pretty wrong. If the school is in a position to dissuade the victim from going to the police, they basically have a pretty easy way of covering up stuff like this.

Of course ethically and morally they are bound to do the right thing, whatever that is, but don't you think the last thing that Iowa wants right now is something of this nature? Wouldn't the people at Iowa, who have a vested interest in this not becoming a story, be the very LAST people who should be charged with resolving it?

The whole situation stinks to high heaven, and if charges are filed, I don't think the perpetrators are the only ones who are going to be in hot water.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That is why Iowa pays Kirk the big bucks - to make the tough decisions. :wubclub::wubclub:

Where is the NCAA when you need them? :wideeyed::wideeyed::confused::wideeyed::wideeyed:

:SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP:
Free Lucca amd worry about real NCAA problems.

Last edited:

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
This is a pressure cooker waiting to explode. Hawks will desperately be trying to keep the lid from blowing off. The dates don't add up. Someone is NOT being forthcoming here. Not sure who the rat is, but counting on the Register to show it's stuff here and not buckle under the pressure.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
This is a pressure cooker waiting to explode. Hawks will desperately be trying to keep the lid from blowing off. The dates don't add up. Someone is NOT being forthcoming here. Not sure who the rat is, but counting on the Register to show it's stuff here and not buckle under the pressure.

Witosky is still researching the D-1 Scheduling thing, so he isn't available. Sorry.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
Names were not released, yet I can confirm that one of those rooms belonged to Derek-Johnson Koulianos. You can delete this, but I assure you that one of the rooms searched was his.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Names were not released, yet I can confirm that one of those rooms belonged to Derek-Johnson Koulianos. You can delete this, but I assure you that one of the rooms searched was his.

He admitted his room was searched in a newspaper article.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron